Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

Chargepoint L2 32 Amp EV Charger - 20% Off

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 20th, 2018 12:42 pm
Oct 18, 2012
707 posts
657 upvotes
WHITBY
I have a Hyundai Ioniq EV. I was looking into buying a 40 amp charger for the home. My house is 11 years old and only came with a 100 amp panel. I called in an electrician and he said there was no way to install this in my house without upgrading the panel to 200 amps. My house has AC and electric clothes dryer and an electric stove not to mention a multitude of other electric appliances. The electrician said most likely the panel will blow out . The cost to upgrade the panel , run new upgraded wiring from the street etc... was $3200+ gst. I decided not to do it . I am writing this post to warn everyone to first check your panel amperage before running out and buying an EV charger .
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11430 upvotes
Ottawa
zamiju wrote: I have a Hyundai Ioniq EV. I was looking into buying a 40 amp charger for the home. My house is 11 years old and only came with a 100 amp panel. I called in an electrician and he said there was no way to install this in my house without upgrading the panel to 200 amps. My house has AC and electric clothes dryer and an electric stove not to mention a multitude of other electric appliances. The electrician said most likely the panel will blow out . The cost to upgrade the panel , run new upgraded wiring from the street etc... was $3200+ gst. I decided not to do it . I am writing this post to warn everyone to first check your panel amperage before running out and buying an EV charger .
Lots of people don't have problems with adding 40A breaker into 100A panel in addition to AC/stove/dryer. Others though are getting comments like this from electricians. I have no idea why is it different, ESA seems like doesn't have any problems with this.
What are the chances that you run evse, stove, dryer and ac at the same time? Even if it happens that wouldn't blow the panel, it will just trip a breaker.
I usually charge at night when nothing else is running in the house
Jun 2, 2014
115 posts
94 upvotes
Markham, ON
I agree with seafish. My panel is 100A and I just installed an EV outlet. I bought the Juicebox Pro which needs 50A breaker. My car is a phev and most time I only charge at night. If I buy a BEV in the future I probably need to upgrade since I will charge more often. Right now I set the maximum output of 6A using the Juicebox app to avoid the over usage. Anyway 6A is good enough for my car at this moment. Just dont run AC/stove/charger at the same time.

BTW I got the ESA certificate. However my electrician told me that he was talking to the ESA person and some of people didn’t get the approval because of the 100A panel.
Last edited by g070140 on Apr 7th, 2018 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
This guy is too lazy to leave a signature.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
zamiju wrote: I have a Hyundai Ioniq EV. I was looking into buying a 40 amp charger for the home. My house is 11 years old and only came with a 100 amp panel. I called in an electrician and he said there was no way to install this in my house without upgrading the panel to 200 amps. My house has AC and electric clothes dryer and an electric stove not to mention a multitude of other electric appliances. The electrician said most likely the panel will blow out . The cost to upgrade the panel , run new upgraded wiring from the street etc... was $3200+ gst. I decided not to do it . I am writing this post to warn everyone to first check your panel amperage before running out and buying an EV charger .
$3200 is less than what I saved this year by not buying gasoline. Invest in the future and break even time for your electrical infrastructure investment will come and go.
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Jun 2, 2014
115 posts
94 upvotes
Markham, ON
Redscott wrote: $3200 is less than what I saved this year by not buying gasoline. Invest in the future and break even time for your electrical infrastructure investment will come and go.
My electrician quoted me $2000.
This guy is too lazy to leave a signature.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
16012 posts
7474 upvotes
RFD
The technicians are mistaken, or doing it on purpose, I read on a homebuilders website about the new home regulations that it needs to be wired or rough in for 200A service, specifically said for Tesla lol, but no where did I read it said that it applied to existing homes.

And the techs saying that you can't get approval on 100A is bogus because we already know people had no issue on RFD going that route. Probably a strategy for them to charge more.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2006
3581 posts
2795 upvotes
Pothole city
Just wondering why all you guys are buying American made charger?
There's plenty of canadian made charger out there.
They are all pretty much the same (warranty, cost, looks, etc...)
Mar 10, 2008
1699 posts
1088 upvotes
typer100 wrote: Just wondering why all you guys are buying American made charger?
There's plenty of canadian made charger out there.
They are all pretty much the same (warranty, cost, looks, etc...)
What do you recommend?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Konowl wrote: I know what the difference in the cars were, I drive electric and looked at them. I was correcting the OP.
Yet you only confused the matter by taking what could have just been a typo of Bolt (poster said "Bold") and then suggested they were talking about the Volt, to which the poster then agreed!

I really don't understand people on this forum sometimes :|
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
3543 posts
2128 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote: Yet you only confused the matter by taking what could have just been a typo of Bolt (poster said "Bold") and then suggested they were talking about the Volt, to which the poster then agreed!

Anything over 16 amps at 240V is wasted on a Chevy Volt. You are just installing more amps for future consideration or if you sell your house.

here is a cheaper alternative if you own or planning to buy a new/used Chevy Volt

Level 2 EVSE Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (240V, 16A)

https://www.amazon.ca/Level-Portable-El ... 40V%2C+16A

Max amps on gen 1 Chevy Volt is 15 amps.
Max amps on gen 2 Chevy Volt is 16 amps.

These require a 20 amp circuit.

Max amps on Chevy Bolt EV is 32 amps.
This requires a 40 amp circuit.

All with level 2 240 volt chargers.

All higher amp chargers will drop down to what the car requests
RFD Admins All Drive Teslas. You should Too!
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
Redscott wrote: Anything over 16 amps at 240V is wasted on a Chevy Volt. You are just installing more amps for future consideration or if you sell your house.

here is a cheaper alternative if you own or planning to buy a new/used Chevy Volt

Level 2 EVSE Portable Electric Vehicle Charger (240V, 16A)

https://www.amazon.ca/Level-Portable-El ... 40V%2C+16A

Max amps on gen 1 Chevy Volt is 15 amps.
Max amps on gen 2 Chevy Volt is 16 amps.

These require a 20 amp circuit.

Max amps on Chevy Bolt EV is 32 amps.
This requires a 40 amp circuit.

All with level 2 240 volt chargers.

All higher amp chargers will drop down to what the car requests
Have absolutely no idea why you quoted me for this reply.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2004
7008 posts
6858 upvotes
Ottawa
ES_Revenge wrote: Have absolutely no idea why you quoted me for this reply.
Certainly seems a common ailments in this thread eh.

May 29, 2003
218 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa
spiritsBB wrote: Has anyone noticed amazon.ca ships in 1-2 months?
Most models now show up as being in stock.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)