• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2018 6:47 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
369 posts
266 upvotes
Abbotsford

Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch with Date - $177

This is a great Dive Watch. Lowest price on three C.

Citizen eco-drive is powered by light, a watch that never needs a battery
Mineral crystal
Japanese-Quartz movement
Case diameter: 43mm
Water resistant to 660 feet
Last edited by DanielM491 on Apr 24th, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title edit
Share:
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1659 posts
672 upvotes
Ottawa
Good price but not a fan of mineral crystal. Scratches too easily.
Apr 8, 2006
894 posts
195 upvotes
DanielM491 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 3:27 pm
This is a great Dive Watch. Lowest price on three C.

Citizen eco-drive is powered by light, a watch that never needs a battery
Mineral crystal
Japanese-Quartz movement
Case diameter: 43mm
Water resistant to 660 feet
Never say never. The rechargeable battery do die after 10 years or so.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
369 posts
266 upvotes
Abbotsford
xpressmerchant wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 3:49 pm
Never say never. The rechargeable battery do die after 10 years or so.
No they dont. I have two that are over ten years old. The batteries/capacitors in the Eco-drive range are so over kill its not funny. After only 8 hours in sunlight the battery has 6 MONTHS of charge.
This is a tried and true technology and it is so annoying when the odd troll chimes in with his 2 cents - claiming this or that, out of thin air. LOL
The battery in Eco-Drive watches is Guaranteed for LIFE as long as you own the watch.
Last edited by DanielM491 on Apr 24th, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 13, 2006
708 posts
146 upvotes
Metro Vancouver
Nice watch, and probably would have hopped on this if I hadn't picked up the Seiko Samurai not too long back.
Beware the RFD Effect
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
2902 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
They don't guarentee the battery for its life, a close friend had to change his and over $100.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5716 posts
1211 upvotes
GVR
"For Life": The interpretation of this varies from brand to brand; Life could mean: "Production life time of the particular product", "Supported / Serviceable / Repairable life of the product by the service centre", "The purchase date plus 25 years of the unit"...etc.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4647 posts
94 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have 7+ eco-drive watches with the oldest around 15 years old. They all run fine on the original batteries.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
369 posts
266 upvotes
Abbotsford
chatbox wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 4:28 pm
"For Life": The interpretation of this varies from brand to brand; Life could mean: "Production life time of the particular product", "Supported / Serviceable / Repairable life of the product by the service centre", "The purchase date plus 25 years of the unit"...etc.
In this case it means as: long as the original purchaser still owns the watch, a new battery will be supplied free of charge. You may still need to pay someone to install the new battery. Lots of people simply don't know about this as they throw out their original purchase documents.
From Citizens website:
http://www.citizenwatch.com/en-ca/faq-c ... eco-drive/
Q: How long will the Eco-Drive energy storage cell last in my watch?
A:
The rechargeable cell featured in Eco-Drive watches is a highly specialized unit that will last a lifetime of use. Many times, it is incorrectly referred to as a “capacitor”. It is highly unusual for these cells to fail. Most commonly, if an Eco-Drive is stopping it is more indicative of a low charge. If it is running slow, it may indicate it is time to have the movement serviced. In the unusual event the Eco-Drive energy cell fails, is not damaged or tampered with, and you purchased your watch in Canada, the United States, or the United Kingdom from an Authorized Retailer, the cell will be replaced for the life of the watch.

Would love to hear from someone who actually claimed the warranty, Rather than replacing themselves.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5716 posts
1211 upvotes
GVR
One thing I'm not certain of is whether the quality of the batter has changed over the years; better or worse. (e.g. Watch from 15+ years ago could have better quality batter than today's production watches?)
Last edited by chatbox on Apr 24th, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2015
369 posts
266 upvotes
Abbotsford
flame02 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 4:21 pm
They don't guarentee the battery for its life, a close friend had to change his and over $100.
Did you friend make a warranty claim, or simply replace the battery cell? If he did claim the warranty, what was the reason for it not being covered.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2002
1829 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Nice watch, though I wish they still made the automatic version with the crown at 8.
15+ Years of 100% Positive Feedback

EBAY / HEATWARE / RFD
Nov 28, 2010
347 posts
114 upvotes
nice price and very decent watch !! To add to the discussion with the gentleman saying his battery died, my ecodrive nighthawk is going strong, i've had it for years and is still one of my favorite watches.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2004
2902 posts
202 upvotes
Toronto
DanielM491 wrote:
Apr 24th, 2018 4:44 pm
Did you friend make a warranty claim, or simply replace the battery cell? If he did claim the warranty, what was the reason for it not being covered.
More of a point the batteries do fail. Loss of capacitance over deep discharge is the culprit I suspect.
May 30, 2013
158 posts
69 upvotes
Markham
It is only a $180 watch, if the watch or the battery can last you 10yrs, it is only $18/yr. Think of how long the battery in your cell phone can last.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)