Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.com

amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter $39.99, OBi110 $42, ship to Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2014 10:57 pm
Tags:
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3878 upvotes
I keep seeing people keep spasing out about google voice ending, and I have no idea how exactly that thing even works. I find it pretty funny
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2004
10602 posts
687 upvotes
Mississauga
All this talk about google voice support ending. Sheesh.

Why do they say it is ending? Because they claim XMPP will go dead on May 15, 2014. Why do they say that? I have no idea.

In March 2013, at Google IO, Google stated that Google Talk XMPP will no longer be developed, and their focus is on Google Hangouts (non XMPP compliant). On May 15, 2013, Google updated the Google Developers documentation with "Note: We announced a new communications product, Hangouts, in May 2013. Hangouts will replace Google Talk and does not support XMPP. The information in this Developer's Guide pertains only to Google Talk." Again, this just reiterates what Google said at Google IO that they aren't developing on XMPP anymore.

Anything that is not being developed on anymore is susceptible to be sunset. But according to Google's policies, they will announce when a service will be "removed from service" in advance, according to the timelines specified by their sunset policy. They haven't made any announcement for the date of pulling their XMPP service offline.

Other things like Google Docs API became deprecated on Sept 2012 and the service is still online and functional. Likewise, their developer documentation indicates the service is deprecated and liable to be sunset after advance notice is provided -- which hasn't happened yet.

All of the Google Voice XMPP support ending posts on the internet link back to the OBI blog post stating the date was May 15, 2014. They don't cite a source of this information. I can only confer that they got that magic date by taking the date of the updated Google Developer documentation (May 15, 2013) and adding 1 year to that. Their is no formal Google policy that says a service will be pulled offline exactly 1 year after we stop developing for it. I don't know why OBI would shoot themselves in the foot but pulling a stupid move. If they have a source for their belief of that date, they should post that source or force Google to make the official announcement.

There is another reference made in January 2014 from a group that calls them M+ Google. Despite the name, they have nothing to do with Google. They claim that Windows Google Talk will stop working before the end of February. Again no cited sources, and since they are not Google, anything they claim without cited sources is purely speculation. They would confer that XMPP service must be going offline at that date, since the Windows-based Google Talk uses it exclusively. However, they go on to claim that "3rd party clients will not be affected" which would confer that XMPP remains active since 100% of 3rd party clients use XMPP.

Believe what you will, but facts are that Google doesn't do their "spring cleaning" until the "spring time", at which time they announce the services that will have their plugs pulled and the dates at which that will happen. If XMPP will have its plug pulled, we won't know until it is formally "spring time" in the western hemisphere. At that time, we'll have a list along with dates, of which services will be pulled from service in 2014.

Fact is Google Talk XMPP is integrated into a lot of formal (with consent with Google) and (without consent with Google) informal applications, including a lot of corporate integration (such as Sametime-to-gtalk bridge) that would suddenly stop working if XMPP would to suddenly stop working. This kind of impact would surely be "officially" announced via the Google Developer center or, as the past as dictated, through the Official Google Blog.

Believe what you will.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
I'm currently with Videotron, The Reason I'm still with them is i have alarm system at home and looking forward to off paying 140$ incl tax ( I have 3 Services with Unlimited high speed internet and 20 Custom TV channel and basic phone).

First what's difference between obi100 (29.99), obi110 (58.99) and obi200 (48.89) or obi202(69$)?

I need to move off paying for phone service and not using it. Its compatible with alarm system?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2005
2798 posts
1134 upvotes
Look at the comparison chart near the bottom. Click here. Im using it for that alarm and no problem.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
Rooster wrote: Look at the comparison chart near the bottom. Click here. Im using it for that alarm and no problem.
which one do you have installed obi200?
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2011
3155 posts
12777 upvotes
Saint-Eustache
How we can compare Ooma Telo Air to Obi?? what's difference?
Banned
Sep 27, 2010
109 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Rlcky wrote: How we can compare Ooma Telo Air to Obi?? what's difference?
Also wondering whats the difference, I'm about to purchase the ooma unit.

Cheers
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
9183 posts
3861 upvotes
Toronto
Rlcky wrote: How we can compare Ooma Telo Air to Obi?? what's difference?
+1 Thinking to order Ooma from Costco, to get rid of 2 Rogers home lines.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Does anyone know if there is a dependency on a telco line for Rogers SMH?

I've never done a firmware update to my obi100, it's been a couple years since I've bought it. Are there any benefits to updating it? It's been working for me without any problems so I don't know if there's a risk of toasting the thing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone use the call-back feature on the OBIHAI when going down south to the US for vacation?

Presumably you can call the OBIHAI attendant on your device (incur the initial LD charge), have it call you back (provided your cell plan has unlimited incoming), and then take advantage of the lower LD rates your VOIP provider offers by making a call "through" the OBI.

Would this work better than getting a US SIM through T-mobile or some service like Roam mobility up here?
Deal Fanatic
May 13, 2005
5147 posts
5847 upvotes
Montreal
chadw01 wrote: Anyone use the call-back feature on the OBIHAI when going down south to the US for vacation?

Presumably you can call the OBIHAI attendant on your device (incur the initial LD charge), have it call you back (provided your cell plan has unlimited incoming), and then take advantage of the lower LD rates your VOIP provider offers by making a call "through" the OBI.

Would this work better than getting a US SIM through T-mobile or some service like Roam mobility up here?
You mean you use your Canadian cell phone to dial your Obihai and let's it call you back.

Not good, as you might have to pay huge roaming fee for receiving calls from US...

1) Your Obihai callback/dial your Canadian cell phone number ==> free / no long distance charge.

2) Your Canadian cell phone receive call from US ==> huge roaming charge

If you just go to US for short number of days then it is better just pay Roam Mobility few dollars a day and you will be able to talk unlimited to Canada + US

http://www.roammobility.com/plans
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
jeeva86 wrote: It's been working for me without any problems so I don't know if there's a risk of toasting the thing.
I would not take the risk, unless a firmware upgrade introduces a specific feature or solves a problem that is important to you. There have been plenty of reports of the latest firmware upgrade bricking 100 and 110 devices.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
PianoGuy wrote: I would not take the risk, unless a firmware upgrade introduces a specific feature or solves a problem that is important to you. There have been plenty of reports of the latest firmware upgrade bricking 100 and 110 devices.
Perhaps I'm just lucky, but I've had no issues after upgrading the firmware whenever it prompts me. The box is rock solid and most issues can be resolved with a simple reboot of the device (power on/off).
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1804 posts
476 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes indeed, the firmware upgrade will not brick every device - just more than the number it should (which is zero).

There have been no significant reports of bricking with up to 1.3.0 (Build: 2824) (for the 100/110) - just versions after that. So if you do want to upgrade, and that version has the features you need, you may want to use it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
^I'll be ignorant and not look up the new features and KISS.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)