Page 7 of 51

Re: amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter $39.99, OBi110 $42, ship to Canada

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 11:29 am
by savemore
chdude3 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 11:25 am
That makes absolutely no sense, unless you require the additional "features" it provides. The integrated router, I suspect most users already have their own that they would prefer to use. And unless you want to bridge to a land line, the additional ports serve no purpose.

For me, the OBI100 was the "much better choice". No sense throwing my money way on features I don't need and won't use.
For the "router" feature, agree w/ u.

However, w/ the USB wireless and USB BT pairing w/ cell phone support, that is a big plus for me.

Re: amazon.com: OBi100 VoIP Telephone Adapter $39.99, OBi110 $42, ship to Canada

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 11:30 am
by packet1
just curious, is this same thing as linksys pap2? I have a linksys pap2 with freephoneline running for a long time and am happy with it.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 11:49 am
by nuch
Setting up Acanac as my main line took literally seconds through the OBI Setup feature at the top left of the main setup screen. All you need is the server name/userID/password. Custom configurations like the one I am requesting I do agree take more time and digging. But that's the world of custom dial plans on VOIP in general.

There are configurations for TONS of ATA's on their forum found here:
https://community.acanac.com/acanac/viewforum.php?f=16

However I didn't see any dial plans specifically for the OBI100.
Having said that I am still wondering how to configure GV as a secondary outgoing # only for international calls. If anyone can offer assistance that would be great.

Also in regards to the 50 incoming and outgoing numbers, it is very hard to reach 50 unique numbers a month. (remember <30second incoming calls, aka telemarketers don't count)
For a majority of users this service is awesome, IT IS FREE AFTERALL! Also the e-mail voicemail is an awesome feature and works flawlessly.

The other services you present also aren't as good of a deal as Acanac. Velcom offers a 6mbps service for the price of Acanac's 28mbps Bell Fibe 50 for $8 is only for 3 mth, after that it skyrockets. Rogers free for a year? Have you read the rogers thread lately? Teksavvy DSL is not as stable as their cable (same as Acanac's DSL) which is comparable to Acanac (however it seems there support has a slight edge) however their cost is more.

Overall I find that Acanac's service to be awesome, it also seems they have made a valid attempt to improve their customer service, I had a couple of minor glitches which were resolved with prompt and friendly service.

gumby wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 10:07 am
I just signed up with them last month for 18MB cable internet. I already have voip.ms as my primary phone and figured that I could use acanac for my secondary number/LD. Voip.ms has been flawless with my SPA112 using the configuration detail on their Wiki. Acanac only gives you the server name, userID and password but no configuration parameters including Dial plan for ANY ATA. It's real pain trying to iron out the issues with the remaining ATA fields and their forums don't help me much. Furthermore, the "free" phone allows ONLY 50 incoming AND outgoing numbers per month, if that number is reached, your phone will stop working until the start of the following month. Due to these problems, I strongly advised against Acanac for your primary number as you cannot control who call you and the configuration headaches you will encounter. After signing, I found out from RFD that you can also get better deals and no upfront 1-year payment from other providers like start or velcom. Acanac connection can come to a crawl sometimes and I never experienced that with Bell (Fibe50 for $8/3 mth), Rogers (free 1 year) or Teksavvy (DSL 5MB) over the years.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 11:51 am
by treo22
got the obi100, freephoneline and works great. Router is a Asus with tomato. Had to setup QOS to remove some stuttering and choppiness but now I have no issues. also limited obi100 to the protocols that is supported by fpl

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 12:04 pm
by STP123
treo22 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 11:51 am
got the obi100, freephoneline and works great. Router is a Asus with tomato. Had to setup QOS to remove some stuttering and choppiness but now I have no issues. also limited obi100 to the protocols that is supported by fpl
Would you mind sharing your numbers that you used to set up QOS? Just want to compare. Did you do a speedtest first to calculate figures? Thanks.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 5:01 pm
by KangFu
how many voip services can you have on one the 100/110 single voip port? Can I use freephoneline, voip.ms and google voice all at the same time? I assume there's some code prefix you dial to switch between them on the same voip line?

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 5:48 pm
by gumby
nuch wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 11:49 am
The other services you present also aren't as good of a deal as Acanac.
Good to hear that you like their service and the configuration on the Obi was a breeze. I sure hope that you have better luck than me. I still have problems on Acanac VOIP phone and have been using it for outgoing only since incoming calls go directly to voice mail right now. If I configure it other ways I would lose registration regularly. The thing is voip.ms on port 1 is completely problem free. Maybe I should get an Obi adapter to replace the SPA112!

About Bell, Rogers and Teksavvy, I was referring to the problem with Acanac slowing down often enough that it was unusable at times. Comparing to other 3 providers that I had used previously, that never happened.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 5:54 pm
by ma678
KangFu wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 5:01 pm
how many voip services can you have on one the 100/110 single voip port? Can I use freephoneline, voip.ms and google voice all at the same time? I assume there's some code prefix you dial to switch between them on the same voip line?
You can use two voip accounts on obi100/110. In your case, you have to buy obi202 instead.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 6:17 pm
by ma678
Balzard wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 9:02 pm
As far as I know, all OBi devices (100, 110 and 202) are identical in terms of quality and basic features. The only difference is that the OBi110 has another port that allows you to keep your POTS line, and that the OBi202 has an integrated router (which also has integrated Quality of Service). If you don't need the ports or the integrated router, there is no need to pay more.
That's not true. 100 and 110 are probably the same, but 202 supports up to four voip accounts.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 8:14 pm
by wl09

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 8:27 pm
by GiOBoY
wl09 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 8:14 pm
OBi110 $42

http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Br ... 20&ie=UTF8

coupon: 42OBI110

Enjoy!
Oh damn... why now... I just ordered it 2 days ago for $50 :facepalm:

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 9:23 pm
by jrice
GiOBoY wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 8:27 pm
Oh damn... why now... I just ordered it 2 days ago for $50 :facepalm:
+++++++++++++++1

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 9:35 pm
by KangFu
wl09 wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 8:14 pm
OBi110 $42

http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Br ... 20&ie=UTF8

coupon: 42OBI110

Enjoy!
Nice! I just cancelled my 100 order and got this one! I figure 2 voip services are enough.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 9:37 pm
by nuch
I don't want to sound like an Acanac fanboy, but after the headaches I received from Rogers and the money I'm saying now for the IDENTICAL service (same line, same speeds, same slow downs) I want to clarify the 'hate' against Acanac which I feel has scared people from leaving Rogers.

Your issues with the VOIP has to do with your setup not with the FREE service that Acanac provides. Considering Acanac/Teksavvy/Rogers all use the same network (Assuming all were cable) I would guess that again the service wasn't the issue. But I am just speculating. I did speed tests with Rogers before dumping them at specific times throughout the day, and duplicated them with Acanac. Speeds were nearly identical!

Again everyones experience with Cable internet would be different according to how many nodes are in your neighbourhood, but they should be very similar across all 3 companies.
gumby wrote:
Sep 26th, 2012 5:48 pm
Good to hear that you like their service and the configuration on the Obi was a breeze. I sure hope that you have better luck than me. I still have problems on Acanac VOIP phone and have been using it for outgoing only since incoming calls go directly to voice mail right now. If I configure it other ways I would lose registration regularly. The thing is voip.ms on port 1 is completely problem free. Maybe I should get an Obi adapter to replace the SPA112!

About Bell, Rogers and Teksavvy, I was referring to the problem with Acanac slowing down often enough that it was unusable at times. Comparing to other 3 providers that I had used previously, that never happened.

Posted: Sep 26th, 2012 10:32 pm
by demzie
Is this significantly better than the PAP2T-NA? What are the differences? I sense there is no need for me to upgrade to this from PAP2T-NA...am I correct?