371 upvotes
Winnipeg

US-only Amazon Echo Dot for $49.99

Deal Link:
Price:
$49.99
Retailer:
Amazon.com
Just a heads up, Amazon Echo Dot v2.0 pre-order is now $49.99... Like last time's release, you can order without being a Prime member initially, but they eventually closed the loophole after a few days and only Prime members can order...

I would think the same thing will happen with the Echo Dot v2.0 as anyone can order today and they will probably limit these to Prime members...

Get it now while you can...

I have the Amazon Echo Dot v1.0 and I've plugged it to my Klipsch speakers and it plays great sound... paired it with my Smartthings, Wemo devices and I'm able to control them by voice... add a Logitech Hub and you can use it to control your TV.... great unit at $89, much better at $49.99!

Last edited by khulit on Sep 14th, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
746 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3220 posts
839 upvotes
Canada
What does one need to do to use Amazon Alexa in Canada? Is it on par with Google now?

Edit: Here is some info that helps answer my question. Seems like in Canada at least its not that useful, unless you have a bunch of smart home devices.
Be a nice person and enjoy life

My feedback: Heatware Redflagdeals
Nov 22, 2009
190 posts
111 upvotes
I had the Echo which I resold on eBay. It was pretty neat, really like it. Very promising product, can't wait for Canada release. Should be before year's end as Pebble Core will have it integrated and they marketed it as being available (in Canada) upon release.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2842 posts
371 upvotes
Winnipeg
fatestkid wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 11:34 am
What does one need to do to use Amazon Alexa in Canada? Is it on par with Google now?

Edit: Here is some info that helps answer my question. Seems like in Canada at least its not that useful, unless you have a bunch of smart home devices.
The defaults will have to be with a US address, like if you ask "What's the weather today?" it will reply with the forecast for the US addess you have on record... if you want it specific to your location you will have to add the location to the query like "What's the weather today in Toronto?"

There are some project out there that use the Amazon Echo API like the Raspberry Pi, but for $49.99 ($60 CAD), it is more cost effective to just get the Echo Dot as the far field microphones is the best reason to get it... It would be more expensive to do it for a Raspberry Pi (RPi + microphones + case +sd card) and will be a lower quality vs the Echo Dot...

If you have Wemo, SmartThings, Wink, Piper, Lutron, Logitech Hub, etc., this will be a good control system, it also supports IFTTT, so if you have any device or want to post to social media or send email via voice control it is a great way to do it... It's also a great tool for those who are mobility impaired or handicapped, as they can always just control stuff via voice

EDIT: I got it working with my Winnipeg address now... every time I ask for the time or weather, it responds with the correct time and weather for Winnipeg...
Last edited by khulit on Oct 20th, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2002
2578 posts
1044 upvotes
Almond + GE Link LED Light +Alexa + 4 yr old daughter asking Alexa to turn on the bathroom light is priceless.
Dec 10, 2005
720 posts
287 upvotes
Is there a good US re-shipper to use? I really want to get one.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2842 posts
371 upvotes
Winnipeg
TransporterSD wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 1:22 pm
First gen echo is 149?
Amazon Echo is $179 but when it first came out, they had it for $99 for Prime Subscribers during first few months but went up later
Echo Dot was $89.99 and was only orderable via Amazon Echo and Prime Subscribers (although they had a workaround bug that allowed non-Prime subscribers to order during the first month)
Echo Dot v2.0 is now $49.99 (cheaper if you buy 5) and I expect it to sell out or be limited to Prime Subscribers anytime now...
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
1988 posts
234 upvotes
Ottawa
Had been trying to order the dot v.10 for months but its been OOS, kept checking , saw this and hopped on it. I was going to buy an echo but actually will just let this connect to my Sonos, now that it can by default, and got another one for bedroom. Have smartthings, and logitech hub, tempted to do all my light switches,
Jun 15, 2012
975 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
Redscott wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 2:36 pm
dcxx wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 1:26 pm
https://www.mymallbox.com/ used and recommended.
curious, what would the shipping be on something like this from my mailbox
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
2842 posts
371 upvotes
Winnipeg
PercyJones wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 4:24 pm
Redscott wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 2:36 pm
dcxx wrote:
Sep 14th, 2016 1:26 pm
https://www.mymallbox.com/ used and recommended.
curious, what would the shipping be on something like this from my mailbox
I think it will be around US$12 to $15 extra
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2142 posts
590 upvotes
Global Village
This might make a nice stocking stuffer for the holidays. If the person in Canada says "alexa dial 911" is there any voip service which would make that possible here?
Dec 10, 2005
720 posts
287 upvotes
amazon now sell echo in UK and Germany... Maybe it will officially come to Canada soon too?