Computers & Electronics

Would you buy a used TV from Amazon.ca warehouse deals?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2018 4:20 pm
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 20, 2015
27 posts
16 upvotes
Nelson BC

Would you buy a used TV from Amazon.ca warehouse deals?

I'm looking at a 55" Sony XBR55X900E. I've been tracking this particular size model for a couple months on Amazon.ca. It currently lists new at $1298, so that's $1492 @ checkout which is just over my budget. I've been saving since December and at the end of the month I'll have exactly $1411 and that is like the top of the top of my budget. To go any higher I'd have to wait another 5 weeks. I'm in BC so there's tax and a $35 reg fee on that TV. I'm in a fairly remote small town so the nearest box stores are hundreds of miles away, and I have no car, making me pretty reliant on online purchases. There's a local Walmart but it stocks pretty crappy TV's.

There are Amazon.ca used warehouse models for slightly cheaper at $1168. That's $1348 @ checkout.

After reading and watching reviews I'd really like to get a Sony 900E.

Does anyone have any experience buying an Amazon.ca used warehouse deal TV?

Or any suggestions on equivalent quality in a 55" TV?

Thanks
8 replies
Dec 8, 2009
664 posts
134 upvotes
used items from Amazon hit and miss, so in your remote situation don' take risk and buy as Brand New and it was tested at SONY lab instead of some half azzed check by amazon staff. It is not big savings and Brand new gives peace of mind.
Dec 14, 2017
245 posts
492 upvotes
Damn, how do you live in a small remote town without a car
Jan 15, 2018
53 posts
74 upvotes
echo_jey wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:42 am
used items from Amazon hit and miss, so in your remote situation don' take risk and buy as Brand New and it was tested at SONY lab instead of some half azzed check by amazon staff. It is not big savings and Brand new gives peace of mind.
+1 on what echo_jay said. If you are in a remote area think of any possible issues with an used TV that may arise, and the hassle of shipping it back. Not saying it can't happen with a brand new tv but chances are slimmer.

Good choice on SONY, in my opinion they make the best and most natural looking TVs. If five weeks is what you need to get your dream tv wait for it, if you can't tho look at an alternative model.

P.S. It seems that Sony is releasing the 900F later this month so it's likely that the 900E will go on sale pretty soon. If you wait you might even get a better deal.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 20, 2015
27 posts
16 upvotes
Nelson BC
rubikas001 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:51 am
Damn, how do you live in a small remote town without a car
Damn, how do you get 75 upvotes in a forum being condescending?
[OP]
Penalty Box
Nov 20, 2015
27 posts
16 upvotes
Nelson BC
FrozenFinger wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:56 am
+1 on what echo_jay said. If you are in a remote area think of any possible issues with an used TV that may arise, and the hassle of shipping it back. Not saying it can't happen with a brand new tv but chances are slimmer.

Good choice on SONY, in my opinion they make the best and most natural looking TVs. If five weeks is what you need to get your dream tv wait for it, if you can't tho look at an alternative model.

P.S. It seems that Sony is releasing the 900F later this month so it's likely that the 900E will go on sale pretty soon. If you wait you might even get a better deal.
Thanks, I appreciate the input form both. That is good logic,
thanks
Jan 8, 2016
41 posts
28 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
There is an old saying which may apply here. It goes - a poor many cannot afford to buy cheap - meaning if you buy cheap and have an issue, you may likely end up having to buy what you should have bought in the first place, to get to the desired result, thus costing you more than if you would have just purchased a quality item in the first place.

This sounds like one of those situations. Could save yourself a lot of aggravation for the sake a few dollars.
May 20, 2007
2 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I can't comment on warehouse deals, but I bought that model from BB before Christmas for the same price and couldn't be happier. I also received a gift card for 10% of that price. One thing I would recommend is to calibrate the TV. The settings suggested by RTINGS.com are a good place to start: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings