Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Digital Forehead and Ear Infrared Thermometer for Baby - $29.99

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 8th, 2017 1:12 am
Tags:
Banned
Jun 16, 2015
125 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto, ON

[Amazon.ca] Digital Forehead and Ear Infrared Thermometer for Baby - $29.99

Lowest price in history :D .
Normally $39.99, now $29.99, you can save $10.
I think this is a good deal.
More baby thermometers on Amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1 ... hermometer

Features:
1. It can be used to take object surface temperature and room temperature;Supplementary functions:Water/milk temperature and room air temperature measuring; Re-calibration option; Pediatrician Recommended
2. Dual Mode - Measure temperature via forehead (suitable for all ages) or ear (recommended for children > age 1)
3. Quick and Easy - Press F1 for forehead measurement and F2 for ear measurement mode; Results displayed instantly
4. Data Retrieval- Retrieve last 20 temperatures taken; Can measures in both Fahrenheit and Celsius
5. Backlit LCD and Buzzer,Battery Included; Meet FDA/CE/ISO certification; 1-Year Warranty by Etekcity
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2014
2460 posts
2941 upvotes
Laputa
Thanks OP, was considering to get one thermometer.
Nov 22, 2012
755 posts
677 upvotes
Toronto
In for one. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2011
1886 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for baby thermometer - is this any good or accurate? I see lot of 5 star reviews but most received the item for their feedback so not sure how much I can trust into it.

Besybuy also has smart thermometer on sale for $19 - review from Amazon.com seems good - anyone used and can comment?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
I don't have much more to add, but I recall RFD'ers were raving about the costco thermometer.

I feel I'll need one too, so I'm interested in this...
Jan 10, 2011
485 posts
306 upvotes
Is this better than the Braun thermoscan 5 ear thermometer, that's currently on sale at Costco for $45 plus tax?
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
TL;DR: 2 different thermometers for reliability might be a good idea.

I don't know about this particular one but we had a Phillips forehead one. The kid (now 16 months) would sometimes throw it which is probably why it went unreliable. Anyways long story short, he ended up getting sick and wasn't himself but the thermometer that had worked before wasn't measuring a fever. After a few hours of this I decided to just get the expensive one from SDM and it measured 39.9C (104F)! So just putting it out there, don't let your kid play with the thermometer or maybe get a second one just in case...
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2674 posts
972 upvotes
Montreal
azybcxrfd wrote: Looking for baby thermometer - is this any good or accurate? I see lot of 5 star reviews but most received the item for their feedback so not sure how much I can trust into it.

Besybuy also has smart thermometer on sale for $19 - review from Amazon.com seems good - anyone used and can comment?

Thanks!
If you want the most accurate temperature, Rectal temperatures are always the best indication. In hospitals, axillary (Armpits), and ear temps are highly avoided
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
Chep wrote: Is this better than the Braun thermoscan 5 ear thermometer, that's currently on sale at Costco for $45 plus tax?
This was the thermometer I bought at SDM. It was $84 at SDM and about $70 on amazon.ca when I needed to buy it. It's a nice thermometer, I would definitely recommend it at $45. You will need to replace the tips eventually but I imagine you shouldn't go through them TOO quickly.
Jan 10, 2011
485 posts
306 upvotes
Yragorn wrote: If you want the most accurate temperature, Rectal temperatures are always the best indication. In hospitals, axillary (Armpits), and ear temps are highly avoided
Is that only for babies? Because for everyone else its always done with an ear thermometer.
Jan 10, 2011
485 posts
306 upvotes
Dex wrote: This was the thermometer I bought at SDM. It was $84 at SDM and about $70 on amazon.ca when I needed to buy it. It's a nice thermometer, I would definitely recommend it at $45. You will need to replace the tips eventually but I imagine you shouldn't go through them TOO quickly.
Thanks, I already bought it, but haven't used it yet. It comes with 20 tips which hopefully should last awhile. Do you know where to get replacements?
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2674 posts
972 upvotes
Montreal
Chep wrote: Is that only for babies? Because for everyone else its always done with an ear thermometer.
For everyone of all ages, minus against indication population such as neutropenic people (people with no immune system from cancer treatments for example)
Jan 5, 2007
453 posts
244 upvotes
Chep wrote: Thanks, I already bought it, but haven't used it yet. It comes with 20 tips which hopefully should last awhile. Do you know where to get replacements?
I think I saw them at SDM. Not sure how they compare in price. Amazon.ca should have them too. You probably don't have to replace the tip every time you check the temp especially if you are checking the same kid. I just use the same one for about a day checking the kid throughout the day.
Jan 10, 2011
485 posts
306 upvotes
Yragorn wrote: For everyone of all ages, minus against indication population such as neutropenic people (people with no immune system from cancer treatments for example)
Having spent months in hospital over the years for a series of medical issues, I have NEVER had my temperature taken rectally. It has ALWAYS been by ear. Having visited hospital countless times, to see relatives they have ALWAYS taken temperature by ear. So I don't no where you get this info from. Not only do hospitals not highly avoid it, in my experience they ONLY use that method, at least when checking vitals.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2007
2674 posts
972 upvotes
Montreal
Chep wrote: Having spent months in hospital over the years for a series of medical issues, I have NEVER had my temperature taken rectally. It has ALWAYS been by ear. Having visited hospital countless times, to see relatives they have ALWAYS taken temperature by ear. So I don't no where you get this info from. Not only do hospitals not highly avoid it, in my experience they ONLY use that method, at least when checking vitals.
As a routine check-up, we use buccal temps as it is not as invasive as taking one rectally on every assessment. Rectal temps remain the most accurate when we suspect/want to confirm a fever. As a professional health care worker and working in ER, ER staff will often ask for a rectal for acute fever suspicions. If you're still wondering about where I get my info from, I've studied in this field, and there are a lot of studies/universities online that share the same point.

1 Evidence based review here: https://mospace.umsystem.edu/xmlui/bits ... sAllowed=y
2. Tympanic temperature (ear) vs oral temperature small study: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 5714004045

The hospitals you visit, and I assume you're probably in another province, could have based their practice on other studies as Tympanic temperatures have been proven almost as accurate as a rectal temperature, but other studies have said otherwise, thus it is still under study by researchers. So it is more of how the administration take their best practice based on reviews and studies and varies from one province to another, just like vaccines are different in QC vs BC due to environmental differences and population for example, although we're all Canadians.

But rectal temperatures remain the most accurate ones.

http://bmcpediatr.biomedcentral.com/art ... 2431-12-86 (1 of available only studies that the hospitals you've visited and using ear temps may have used, revealing ear temp almost as close as rectal temperature)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... 46737?pg=1 (In order for the ear temp to be more accurate, the ear must be clear of obstructions such as ear wax)
http://www.uofmhealth.org/health-library/hw198785 (The most accurate way to measure temperature is to take a rectal reading. [U of Michigan, 2015])

TL;DR : Studies online show Rectal temps are most accurate for years, but it is usually not used as a routine check-up for people who don't show signs of fever.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)