• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 10:32 pm
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa

Amazon exchange program

I rarely refund anything from Amazon so maybe this is old news.

Anyway last week I had to refund an item, and after clicking the refund button on Amazon, it showed a page that I never seen before. I was given the option to do an exchange instead of refund. At first I thought it was to exchange for the same item, which made no sense since I wasn't returning a defective item. Turned out it meant I could exchange it for an item that they picked. In my case they suggested I exchange a $200 video card for a $14 bicycle part!

Why would anyone do that? I can understand if they allow you to pick something close to the value of the original item, but in my case it seem Amazon just randomly picked something that had completely no value to me.

Did it happen to anyone else?
1 reply
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
I get the same thing.

Basically they want to keep your money! If you get an exchange item you don't get a full refund. It used to be pretty common until the late 90's early 2000's when most big box stores changed their policies and made you return the unwanted item and buy the one you want.

My selection of exchange items is pretty random - $25-$75 items from my browsing history and wish lists (which I have a bunch of, shared ones with my wife with presents for friends & family, secret one with presents gift ideas for the wife, one for me, and a couple for specific items for my hobbies.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)