Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14615 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto

Amazon Fire hd 8 $99 good deal?

Off the bat I have to say I'm not an Amazon package fan. Had a smaller fire before and it was really awkward to use. Well my Nexus 7 has died because water in my bag was seeping and got into the device. Just looking alfor a tablet for light multmedia duties like YouTube and Netflix. No gaming at all. With the holiday season coming up should I wait for an Android tablet to go on sale or even the Amazon unit at a discount. Just wondering what other units at this price point would be better.
10 replies
Jul 17, 2007
122 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
I got one for my daughter for this exact purpose, playing videos on an SD card, even x265 videos. It works well in that capacity however doing anything else the tablet is quite slow. There are ways to hack around removal of the ads, and using Nova Launcher to make it more of a vanilla Google Experience. Cannot go wrong with this price for a video tablet.

Hope this helps!
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
14349 posts
3168 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:45 pm
Off the bat I have to say I'm not an Amazon package fan. Had a smaller fire before and it was really awkward to use. Well my Nexus 7 has died because water in my bag was seeping and got into the device. Just looking alfor a tablet for light multmedia duties like YouTube and Netflix. No gaming at all. With the holiday season coming up should I wait for an Android tablet to go on sale or even the Amazon unit at a discount. Just wondering what other units at this price point would be better.
You have read this about Youtube, Goodle and Amazon haven't you?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/googl ... -1.4136538
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14615 posts
1111 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 12:07 am
You have read this about Youtube, Goodle and Amazon haven't you?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/googl ... -1.4136538

Google blocking Amazon devices from using YouTube. Thats par for the course I guess.

Im only attracted to the fire because of the price but it doesn't seem like it has upgraded it's hardware or improved. performance since the last time I used their tablet.

Do you guys know what happened with dells tablet division? I recalled the venue 8 received really great feedback but any searches yields no mention of a Dell tablet.

I guess we will see what the holiday season turns up. Might have to increase my budget a little to get something from Samsung or Asus. I was only interested in the fire due to the price but it sounds more like a paper weight than something useful with YouTube being blocked.
Aug 23, 2010
60 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
They are $50 USD on amazon.com. I got a 3 pack for $130 USD on BF. Depends how much trouble it is for you to get them.

With that said, event at $99 CAD, I think it's a good deal. Similar performance would be a Galaxy tab A (180$ on BF, 260 now), or a sealed LG pad 3 for 150-200$ on kijiji. For 99$ new here, you're looking at a crappy galaxy tab E lite.

I just setup google play. Pretty easy. Only downside is you can's remove all the amazon stuff and no root.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21752 posts
2450 upvotes
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 1:08 am
Do you guys know what happened with dells tablet division? I recalled the venue 8 received really great feedback but any searches yields no mention of a Dell tablet.
My guess is that the tablet fad has largely run out of steam. At first it was mainly phone companies making them, then every company and their grandmas jumped in on the actiion, and then after it fizzled a bit it's back to mainly just phone companies.

Most people do most of these things on their phones and things that need more horsepower or a larger screen, they just use a laptop with a full OS (i.e. Windows). The so-called "convertibles" have also become much more popular in the marketplace meaning tablets have even less of a purpose--why buy a tablet and a laptop when you can have just one, flip the screen, and have it be "like a tablet"?

Personally I never really found tablets to be all that useful, though I guess that varies from personal use/perspective. Though I have one (an older Android-based tablet), I've rarely ever used it and it seems like it's more just a novelty than anything. I can see why kids like them because they're cool to play their videos or whatever, play some low-rent tablet/phone OS games on, but they don't really have that much use for most people otherwise.

Anyway $100 seems pretty good and frankly I wouldn't spend any more money than that on a tablet either.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
7139 posts
976 upvotes
Winnipeg
pretty good for a brand supported tablet. Most of the time is one os working or not for its life when its cheap
Aug 17, 2008
641 posts
203 upvotes
Is the Amazon.ca version able to access Alexa commands? Does not say it can in the description, whereas the Amazon.com version is Alexa enabled.

The warranty is 1 year on the Amazon.ca version while the Amazon.com version is only 90 days.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2631 posts
474 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Target in USA has Fire HD 8 for $50 and Fire HD 10 for $120 USD.

Today there is additional $20 off for every $100 spent on most but not all items bought online; including tablets.