Computers & Electronics

Which Amazon Fire tablet would you recommend?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 12:20 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.

Which Amazon Fire tablet would you recommend?

Which one is the best buy and why?
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
That's more of a personal preference between the different sizes and price points. What is best to me is not necessary the best to you.
What do you want from your tablet?

If you just want best value - only the Amazon Fire HD 8 is currently on sale for $80 until Dec. 12th.
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10331 posts
6697 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Skip the 7 and decide between 8 and 10.

We chose 10 for our kids... they previously had Dell Venue 8.

The 10 has better screen but really can't go wrong with either as 8 more portable. Get 32 gb or higher microsd cards.

These are not for serious gaming but do fine with gaming otherwise.

Choose based on price and age of kids... for younger nephew and niece we got them the 8. Made sister get the protective covers :)

All 4 were bought in US last year when on sale... so if memory serves me correct it was like $160 USD for 2 10s and $90 USD for 2 8s.

Not sure about this year however last year the better prices were before Xmas.

Search for online guides on how to install google play.
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1298 posts
1770 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed with Georvu, skip the 7", the screen resolution is horrible and slow.

I like the 10" version, but never had the 8" to compare it to.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
WetCoastGuy wrote: That's more of a personal preference between the different sizes and price points. What is best to me is not necessary the best to you.
What do you want from your tablet?

If you just want best value - only the Amazon Fire HD 8 is currently on sale for $80 until Dec. 12th.
Simple stuff.
Netflix / movies / web browsing while on plane or travelling.
Ease of use / operation.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1811 posts
2410 upvotes
BC
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Simple stuff.
Netflix / movies / web browsing while on plane or travelling.
Ease of use / operation.
I would go with the Fire HD 8.

Good size for travelling, the 10" would be too bulky to throw into a carry bag.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7445 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is there a difference in purchasing the Fire HD in Canada and in U.S.? I see on Amazon.com that the fire HD on the U.S. site has Alexa enabled, but on Canada's site, it says it's not available. Does this mean if I buy a Fire HD from the U.S. it will have Alexa enabled, even though my Amazon account is Canadian?
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have both the 8 and 10. the 10 is faster and bigger but bigger is harder to hold and needs a case like all 9-10's do. The 8 is really easier so a better option and easier to find case.
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
Had the seven. Had the eight. The 8 is nice. Buy them on sale or return and get a better deal. They’re almost disposable at the discounted price. I buy them for the kids. Battery life starts to degrade pretty quick though.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
Badbrad wrote: Had the seven. Had the eight. The 8 is nice. Buy them on sale or return and get a better deal. They’re almost disposable at the discounted price. I buy them for the kids. Battery life starts to degrade pretty quick though.
my 8 was bought almost 3 years now the battery still good. I influenced 3 peeps to follow my purchase at the the time and their tablets are still working well. They use decent batteries as long as these devices aren't neglected, when it comes to charging.

the 10 chews thru power more so than the 8 tho
Oct 13, 2016
730 posts
965 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
lead wrote: my 8 was bought almost 3 years now the battery still good. I influenced 3 peeps to follow my purchase at the the time and their tablets are still working well. They use decent batteries as long as these devices aren't neglected, when it comes to charging.

the 10 chews thru power more so than the 8 tho
The kids liked the 7 or 8 because it wasn’t so heavy for them to hold up and watch video in comparison to the 10

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)