Shopping Discussion

Locked: Amazon gave me a huge refund before i send back the product?!

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 1:26 pm
[OP]
Jul 20, 2011
8 posts

Amazon gave me a huge refund before i send back the product?!

I bought a several hundred dollar telescope last month, and it turned out not as good as i had hoped, even though it wasn't faulty. I figured I'd use it for the 30 days anyway and then return it, so I did the return on the website and got their return shipping labels printed out for later. Before it came time to mail it back, I noticed that I've already received the refund on my visa account. I didn't get any notification on amazon saying that I don't have to return it (as i heard they do for some items). If I just kept it lol, will they recharge me the purchase amount?
Share:
17 replies
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1117 posts
704 upvotes
Vancouver
Did you buy it from a third party seller fulfilled by Amazon, a third party seller, or Amazon directly?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1970 upvotes
Yes they will charge you. Send it back immediately
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6392 posts
2840 upvotes
Alberta
asiandriver wrote: I bought a several hundred dollar telescope last month, and it turned out not as good as i had hoped, even though it wasn't faulty. I figured I'd use it for the 30 days anyway and then return it, so I did the return on the website and got their return shipping labels printed out for later. Before it came time to mail it back, I noticed that I've already received the refund on my visa account. I didn't get any notification on amazon saying that I don't have to return it (as i heard they do for some items). If I just kept it lol, will they recharge me the purchase amount?
You better believe they will, you think they are actually that stupid? They gave you a date on when they expect the package back. If they don't get it back by then, they will recharge your credit card.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
19096 posts
2367 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Honestly, why would this even cross your mind? Just send it back like you said you would.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1970 upvotes
Evil Baby wrote: Honestly, why would this even cross your mind? Just send it back like you said you would.
For the same reason they thought it was ethical to use the product for 30 days after they had already deemed it not good enough for them
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1024 posts
753 upvotes
Halifax
You know I had a similar thing happen - I have refunded many items .

But I bought a lamp- it does not have a switch. It will not turn on . My husband bought a new cord for it. It will still not work.
It was $ 23 from Amazon Warehouse.
I wrote up the return for it- explained the problem.
Two days later - I have an Email from Amazon and the money is refunded and in my account.

I was thinking that they probably know with the size of the lamp that obviously it would cost more to post it.

My husband said they just want us to throw it in the garbage ( it had been returned before as the previous return code was in the box.

But looking at this - maybe I will send it back.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4774 posts
1970 upvotes
rdiamond1 wrote: You know I had a similar thing happen - I have refunded many items .

But I bought a lamp- it does not have a switch. It will not turn on . My husband bought a new cord for it. It will still not work.
Two days later - I have an Email from Amazon and the money is refunded and in my account.

I was thinking that they probably know with the size of the lamp that obviously it would cost more to post it.

My husband said they just want us to throw it in the garbage ( it had been returned before as the previous return code was in the box.

I’ve had a similar instance from wayfair.
Sometimes they just tell you to keep it or donate it. If they do this they do not expect you to send it back.
I guess this depends on their cost for the item in relation to shipping charges, processing the return, sending the item back to manufacturer etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2014
2884 posts
4646 upvotes
Laval
Amazon base on you account history will refund you before you send back the item, it has hppened to me many times but if you pass the 30 days return period you will be charged, it in there terms, you should call them to confirm the return.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2588 posts
1659 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
rdiamond1 wrote: You know I had a similar thing happen - I have refunded many items .

They will tell you if you can keep it or dispose of it in other ways.

If they don't say that, you are expected to return it.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8021 posts
2323 upvotes
asiandriver wrote: I bought a several hundred dollar telescope last month, and it turned out not as good as i had hoped, even though it wasn't faulty. I figured I'd use it for the 30 days anyway and then return it, so I did the return on the website and got their return shipping labels printed out for later. Before it came time to mail it back, I noticed that I've already received the refund on my visa account. I didn't get any notification on amazon saying that I don't have to return it (as i heard they do for some items). If I just kept it lol, will they recharge me the purchase amount?
normal. Send it back
"Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say"
Apr 29, 2018
67 posts
88 upvotes
ON
It should say on the refund notification email that it's an advanced refund.
Usually this is issued once the tracking shows an originating scan (ie, item has been dropped off). Maybe their system mistakenly registered Canada post's "Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption" advisory as a scan for the item being accepted.
Don't forget to like and subscribe
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47366 posts
5297 upvotes
Toronto

They cover return fees on the shipping label, i don't see why you wouldn't return it.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1024 posts
753 upvotes
Halifax
Jimboski wrote: They cover return fees on the shipping label, i don't see why you wouldn't return it.
I am kind of stuck now as my husband removed the touch mechanism inside the lamp - he thought the lamp would work without it.
It does.
However now without a switch - to turn it on you have to plug and unplug it. Thinking of buying a switch in the cord.
Not going to return it now- they can take back the refund.
A fan of RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1024 posts
753 upvotes
Halifax
Looking at the fine print - you are right....

Hello XXXXX
We've issued your refund for the item below. Your return is now complete*.

View return & refund status

OK Lighting OK-606-4G 14.25-Inch...

Refund total: CDN$ 27.75**
Refund will appear on your Master Card in 2-4 business days.

* This is an advanced refund. If we don't receive the item listed above, we may charge your original payment method.
** Learn more about refunds

This email was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.
A fan of RFD