None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON

Amazon - How to Avoid UPS and ALWAYS Auto-Pick Canada Post

I order from Amazon quite frequently and they have always been excellent however when it comes to UPS, I have always had problems.

- UPS leaves a notice of delivery without even attempting to contact me through our apartment Buzzer

- UPS has left 3 different items on the outside steps by the lobby door where hundreds of people enter/exit daily and my items were stolen every time.

- Depot is located 3 buses away, meaning due to them pretending to come to my house, I often would have to travel across town to pick up heavy items, defeating the purpose of online convenience.

After numerous complaints, Amazon told me of a solution to trick their system in always automatically selecting Canada Post because they cannot override the shipping methods themselves.

Here's how:

John Smith
123 Main Street (po box 0)
Suite 123 / P.O. BOX 0
Ottawa, ON

If you place "po box 0" where I placed it in the example, Canada Post will always be selected as delivery method since UPS cannot deliver to po boxes. It tricks Amazon's automated system to use Canada Post.

For the last month I have used this method for large, heavy items and never once was UPS selected.

Hope it helps since I've seen people complain about UPS via Amazon.

EDIT: Since Amazon has recently changed their ETA system, customers using Canada Post are still getting their package in 1-2 business days via prime however some customers using UPS (auto picked by Amazon's system based on size/weight), are experiencing delays with prime of 3-4 business days. Yet another reason to force the system into always using Canada Post.
22 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1707 posts
268 upvotes
Good to know and thanks for sharing.
Mar 12, 2008
100 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for the tip!

Just want to clarify though, do I put in the PO BOX things twice as you have done it? Or do I just put it in where you have it in brackets.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1229 posts
593 upvotes
Ottawa ON
Haji_Kun wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 10:49 am
Thanks for the tip!

Just want to clarify though, do I put in the PO BOX things twice as you have done it? Or do I just put it in where you have it in brackets.

Thanks
I have been putting it twice as indicated in the example because the Amazon agent did not clarify if it was address field 1 or 2, so I place it in both fields to be safe. I am also not sure if the periods make a difference after the p and the o so I have one field with and the other without.

It's a nice change being able to receive my packages every single time with no issues because we get buzzed to come down and meet Canada Post. Even the Canada Post outlets are just minutes away such as shoppers drug mart.

Shipping seems slightly faster as well. I ordered a humidifier Tuesday at 130am and it's being delivered today via prime. If it was UPS the item would of been delivered tomorrow.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
12118 posts
3089 upvotes
Ottawa
neat!

I would like to see if anybody else uses this trick and if it works for them
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1718 posts
670 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Is there a trick for avoiding Canada Post? UPS packages are dropped off one block away from my building and I can pick up the same day, while I have to wait until the next day with Canada Post.
Banned
Sep 10, 2014
694 posts
144 upvotes
GeeCee wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 11:07 am
Is there a trick for avoiding Canada Post? UPS packages are dropped off one block away from my building and I can pick up the same day, while I have to wait until the next day with Canada Post.
Yeah Canada Post sucks, unless you don't work and can afford to just hang around the house all day waiting for them to arrive.
Last year I bought a new camera from Walmart online during the boxing day sale, and had it delivered to my house (I was out of province on vacation at the time).
Walmart uses Canada Post for deliveries.
So once I had the tracking number, I seen the day it was to be delivered, was a day earlier than originally estimated, and I wouldn't be home to receive the package. No problem right? They'll just leave a card in the mailbox and I'll have to pick it up at a postal outlet when I get home, right?
WRONG!!
The stupid SOB left it on my front steps outside, in -31 temperatures during a snow storm!! I was furious to say the least! And I vowed to never have Canada Post involved in any delivery again. I don't order from Walmart online anymore, and refuse to do business with any company that only offers Canada Post as a delivery option. They're brain dead, irresponsible, and lack any concept of logic whatsoever.
Thankfully the package was still there and didn't get stolen, or blow away like other parcels those morons left outside.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
Does UPS automatically drop packages at the UPS store now for free or is it a YMMV/surcharge thing?

I'm wondering since there's a UPS store and Canada Post store near me (so it doesn't matter) but would be a huge PITA if it goes back to the UPS depot.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
2440 posts
1025 upvotes
Edmonton
This is a re-post as I provided this information in the past:

avoiding-ups-amazon-orders-1432982/

While this workaround seemed good at first, be cautious. I am not sure if Canada Post is doing this intentionally or not but lately all my orders that included a PO Box have been mis-sorted by Canada Post and have increased delivery times by up to one week. It seems that now, instead of strictly using the postal code to identify the location which is what they should be using, they are relying on the PO Box so the item goes astray to another part of the city and then back to the depot I guess to get re-sorted once they discover their "mistake".
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
597 upvotes
Guelph
NG wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 2:28 pm
Does UPS automatically drop packages at the UPS store now for free or is it a YMMV/surcharge thing?

I'm wondering since there's a UPS store and Canada Post store near me (so it doesn't matter) but would be a huge PITA if it goes back to the UPS depot.
Ups makes 1 delivery attempt, then it goes to my local ups store for me to pick up.

I like it, my stores only a min away.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
Exocet77 wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 2:40 pm
Ups makes 1 delivery attempt, then it goes to my local ups store for me to pick up.

I like it, my stores only a min away.
Thanks and thanks clicked! But wow...only 1 attempt? It was 3 before...but at least the UPS Store works.
Should we have open retail markets to bring more UK and US retailers to Canada?wegmans-tops-trader-joes-americas-favou ... #p27788812
May 25, 2005
377 posts
105 upvotes
UPS does not always use a local UPS store or similar local UPS access point agent for all packages.

It depends on the options set by the shipper, and the type of service.

Because UPS stores are not actually owned by UPS (they are a franchise with independent owners using the UPS name) UPS must pay these store owners a handling fee when they hold packages there. If they were all corporately owned you can bet that almost all packages would be redirected to these little shops rather than being driven all the way across town back to their main depots.

If you sign up for the UPS my choice service you can decide to have the package redirected to these sites and you will have to give credit card details to be billed for the cost on the least expensive ground service packages as it's not included like it would be in an express or expedited level of service. They also have a limit on the size and weight of packages they are willing to redirect to a UPS store or UPS access point drop off business so larger packages always go back to the depot for additional attempts.

But great tip on inserting PO Box on the address line to fool Amazon into switching delivery carriers.

When it comes to courier companies the experience always seems to come down to the local drivers. If you have a driver with a regular route in your area and they are good then you will praise that company. I have a pretty good Purolator driver, a just OK UPS driver, and Fedex does not keep a consistent driver in my area so I never know what to expect with them. Canada Post is pretty easy to predict though. We have community mailboxes. There have been 2 times in the last 8 years that anyone has actually attempted a package delivery to my door from canada post. In 95% of all deliveries they simply drove directly to the community box and stick the delivery notice in and drive away. I have to go to the Shoppers drugmart at the end of the day or the next day to pickup those packages. Usually best to do it the next day about 30 minutes to an hour after they have opened. Because EVERYONE in the area gets the same treatment the lines there can get long if it's after work or lunch time. And their back room looks like a hoarders nightmare of packages at times with all the stuff waiting to be picked up. I complained, they appologized and told me they were short of staff in the area and attempt as many deliveries to the door as possible but will revert to pickups at the post office when they cannot handle the volume.

But a good driver goes a long way to having a good experience.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2008
1579 posts
210 upvotes
Winnipeg
lovefreemoney wrote:
Dec 10th, 2014 11:31 am
Yeah Canada Post sucks, unless you don't work and can afford to just hang around the house all day waiting for them to arrive.
Last year I bought a new camera from Walmart online during the boxing day sale, and had it delivered to my house (I was out of province on vacation at the time).
Walmart uses Canada Post for deliveries.
So once I had the tracking number, I seen the day it was to be delivered, was a day earlier than originally estimated, and I wouldn't be home to receive the package. No problem right? They'll just leave a card in the mailbox and I'll have to pick it up at a postal outlet when I get home, right?
WRONG!!
The stupid SOB left it on my front steps outside, in -31 temperatures during a snow storm!! I was furious to say the least! And I vowed to never have Canada Post involved in any delivery again. I don't order from Walmart online anymore, and refuse to do business with any company that only offers Canada Post as a delivery option. They're brain dead, irresponsible, and lack any concept of logic whatsoever.
Thankfully the package was still there and didn't get stolen, or blow away like other parcels those morons left outside.
-31 and a snow storm?
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2007
1606 posts
244 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the tip. CP drops my stuff at the mall a short walk from my house if I'm not there. Honestly though I've never had any problems with any of the couriers, maybe I'm just lucky..
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2001
15556 posts
1010 upvotes
queball wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2015 3:21 pm
UPS does not always use a local UPS store or similar local UPS access point agent for all packages.

It depends on the options set by the shipper, and the type of service.
Hmm...thanks for the FYI...guess it depends on if Amazon.ca is the "right" type of shipper and use the right type of service.