Shopping Discussion

Amazon: I got a counterfeit product from china early, what do I do?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 18th, 2020 9:25 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto

Amazon: I got a counterfeit product from china early, what do I do?

So I bought this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0091R ... UTF8&psc=1 a month ago and it turned out to be a counterfeit but more like a generic brand spatula that one would find at any cheap asian store with generic text and images on the packaging.
So saying it's counterfeit wouldn't even be the right word. In fact one person who said it was it was some garbage spatula and even posted a picture has the same one I do. At the time of ordering, I was just excited to get it and I only looked at the top reviews.

Amazon is is stating that I'm expected to get it on the 22nd, a week from now but I got it today.
If I go to problem with order/different from what I ordered. I get the message then You are not eligible to request a refund
Then I can return the item or contact seller.

What is the best course of action?
29 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
dealo'day wrote: So I bought this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0091R ... UTF8&psc=1 a month ago and it turned out to be a counterfeit but more like a generic brand spatula that one would find at any cheap asian store with generic text and images on the packaging.
So saying it's counterfeit wouldn't even be the right word. In fact one person who said it was it was some garbage spatula and even posted a picture has the same one I do. At the time of ordering, I was just excited to get it and I only looked at the top reviews.

Amazon is is stating that I'm expected to get it on the 22nd, a week from now but I got it today.
If I go to problem with order/different from what I ordered. I get the message then You are not eligible to request a refund

Online chat or wait for the 22nd.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Wait for the 22nd File dispute Product never received.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you, I tried the online chat option. The person in chat sent an email on my behalf. I checked the email and apparently they simply wrote I got the wrong item and that they should either send a return label or send the right item.

I feel like it's something I could've done myself, I was hoping it would've been more serious that they sent me a generic product instead of the item that is on the page
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
I had ordered this same spatula back in Nov 2018. It was shipped and sold by Amazon back then. I had paid $16.79. It's the best spatula I ever used. That sucks that yours was shipped from China.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Get used to it, I don't think I've gotten a legit button cell battery from Amazon yet.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
You mean CR2032 battery.
caltran wrote: Get used to it, I don't think I've gotten a legit button cell battery from Amazon yet.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Cheapo-Findo wrote: You mean CR2032 battery.
CR2032, CR2025... All fake. They last like two days or they're DOA.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
I think I also got a counterfeit frypan from them, LOL.
Nov 26, 2012
433 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
That's why i only buy sold by Amazon...reduced likelihood of fakes (does not eliminate as Amazon sometimes puts their stock with the marketplace vendors' stock).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
caltran wrote: CR2032, CR2025... All fake. They last like two days or they're DOA.
I bought some Sony CR2032 on Ebay and they were great the first time. The second time they were definitely fake. I basically stopped buying off Ebay unless its dirt cheap item.

Like niche54 said, stick with Amazon and not third party resellers.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
I did buy from Amazon! That's the thing, even their stuff is counterfeit.
Apr 20, 2011
422 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
dealo'day wrote: So I bought this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0091R ... UTF8&psc=1 a month ago and it turned out to be a counterfeit but more like a generic brand spatula that one would find at any cheap asian store with generic text and images on the packaging.

Amazon is filled with dropshippers. I normally use an app called Fakespot to help me make the decision if i am buying a product or not. Here is the screenshot of the product you listed
Screenshot 2020-01-16 12.19.04.png
It shows big *F* that the reviews are fake. Because of this, I would have never bought this product at first place.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
hyph3n wrote: Amazon is filled with dropshippers. I normally use an app called Fakespot to help me make the decision if i am buying a product or not. Here is the screenshot of the product you listed

Screenshot 2020-01-16 12.19.04.png

It shows big *F* that the reviews are fake. Because of this, I would have never bought this product at first place.
There were many red flags that I missed. Everything from the fact that it's coming from China, the bad reviews on the store front page, and of course the one person who stated they got generic garbage.
I was fairly new at the time when ordering stuff and I was excited, and because almost all of my order was fullfilled by amazon, I had a false sense of security. On top of the fact that I was kind of excited to get it, it was just one reason after another as to why I fell for this trap.

edit: How does Fakespot work in a case like this?
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
The thing is that no matter which item you click on, they all share the same review page. 2 of them are fullfilled by amazon but does that mean it's risky ordering from them too?
Last edited by dealo'day on Jan 16th, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto
antigua1999 wrote: Online chat or wait for the 22nd.
Well the seller got back to me and said I'd get a refund once they receive the item.
I don't urgently need it, should I give it back or will they simply state they never got it as not to give a refund?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
dealo'day wrote: Well the seller got back to me and said I'd get a refund once they receive the item.
I don't urgently need it, should I give it back or will they simply state they never got it as not to give a refund?
It sounds like they want it back. You wont get a refund if you dont.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
3079 posts
1699 upvotes
Toronto
dealo'day wrote: Well the seller got back to me and said I'd get a refund once they receive the item.
Whether or not you send the item back I would leave a 1 star review with the word FAKE in the heading. I would also suggest for you to send an email to Amazon CSR to let them know that the seller is selling a counterfeit product.

If you have to send the item back to China then I imagine the cost of shipping would be the same price as the product itself. It doesn't sound worth it if this is the case.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)