Shopping Discussion

Amazon increases prices before deals?

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 1st, 2018 5:30 pm
[OP]
Member
May 5, 2012
348 posts
129 upvotes
CALGARY

Amazon increases prices before deals?

Not sure where to post this but here goes:

I bought the following item in July 2017:
AmazonBasics 8-Sheet Cross-Cut Paper and Credit Card Shredder

At the time, the original price was $47.99 and it was 35% off.
zon.PNG

Now I see that its 40% off and I check and the original price was increased to $78.34...
zon22.PNG

Does Amazon do this sort of things often?

I feel a bit cheated..
I know Sears did this before but I didn't think Amazon would too.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
It is normal. That's so called dynamic pricing from Amazon. I can easily find handful of these type of item. Sometimes, I thought Amazon management really like the product, so they want to keep the product by themselves. LOL. Look at this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00LM9 ... UTF8&psc=1

However, the other scents are on sale
https://www.amazon.ca/Palmolive-Ultra-L ... iquid&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Palmolive-Liquid- ... ish+Liquid
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
334 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Wow, that's insane. If you feel cheated, just imagine how the poor SOBs that bought the item at the new price point feel.
[OP]
Member
May 5, 2012
348 posts
129 upvotes
CALGARY
showmethemoney2009 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 1:33 am
Wow, that's insane. If you feel cheated, just imagine how the poor SOBs that bought the item at the new price point feel.
I feel like it was never at that original price though
But I get your point. I'm glad I got it for way cheaper than the current deal ^^
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
You can avoid getting caught up in things like this due to 3camel. (The real URL is blocked on RFD.)
Just google search for Triple Camel and you'll find a good way to determine if Amazon's prices are 'good' or not.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Member
User avatar
Jan 15, 2009
334 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 5:27 pm
You can avoid getting caught up in things like this due to 3camel. (The real URL is blocked on RFD.)
Just google search for Triple Camel and you'll find a good way to determine if Amazon's prices are 'good' or not.
I just looked it up for this particular item and it does look like they spiked it up in late November just for the Christmas sale. However, I was expecting the lowest price point in the history to be around $31.19 based on OP's numbers but it showed $39.74 instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28794 posts
14602 upvotes
Ottawa
Wait for the RFD affect, as the popularity of a product increases; you will also see Amazon jack up the price.
Sr. Member
Mar 24, 2016
559 posts
492 upvotes
scarborough
if retail stores had dynamic pricing as much as Amazon, i bet people and government would backlash but because its Amazon we shrug it off.. Just Boycott the company
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28794 posts
14602 upvotes
Ottawa
explorer11 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 10:27 am
if retail stores had dynamic pricing as much as Amazon, i bet people and government would backlash but because its Amazon we shrug it off.. Just Boycott the company
Using camel camel camel .ca, you can gauge before pulling the trigger.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30496 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
The three wise camels have changed my shopping habits

I now put stuff on my wish list and wait for it to go on sale. Unless I need it right away.

Amazon hasn’t lost my business, but the amount of spend has definitely decreased.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 30, 2005
2115 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
that's normal practice not only for amazon but for ALL others as well. there's a website you could check historic prices, could not remember off the top of my head.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24733 posts
5019 upvotes
Jucius Maximus wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 5:27 pm
You can avoid getting caught up in things like this due to 3camel. (The real URL is blocked on RFD.)
Just google search for Triple Camel and you'll find a good way to determine if Amazon's prices are 'good' or not.
Gee wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 2:19 pm
The three wise camels have changed my shopping habit
It's funny how this is held by many an RFDer as a useful consumer tool to prevent paying too much for something, particularly on Amazon. People end up using all kinds of pseudo-names and euphemisms to avoid the filter on the site. So it begs the question...or a question I've always had anyway--why is it then banned on RFD? Surely there has to be a good reason? Unless it's some weird "First rule about Amazon is you do not talk about 3x camel" BS? :lol:

Seems to be a great shopping tool, but it's banned on RFD--a place where consumers come to get good shopping tools.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 18, 2005
18685 posts
3305 upvotes
GTA West
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 1:42 pm
So it begs the question...or a question I've always had anyway--why is it then banned on RFD? Surely there has to be a good reason? Unless it's some weird "First rule about Amazon is you do not talk about 3x camel" BS? :lol:

Seems to be a great shopping tool, but it's banned on RFD--a place where consumers come to get good shopping tools.
I think it is because the 'workflow' of Triple Camel causes the referral revenue to flow to that site, instead of to RFD.

Word to the wise... if RFD is helpful to you, bookmark the RFD referral link for Amazon.ca and use that link before you make any purchase.

My typical workflow is:
1. Do all product research and then save the names / product codes of all things I want to buy on amazon.
2. Clear all browser cookies. (I use a separate browser for this.)
3. Use referral link and login to Amazon.
4. Add all items to cart and checkout.
5. Profit! (for RFD)
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
30496 posts
5036 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ES_Revenge wrote:
Jan 1st, 2018 1:42 pm
Seems to be a great shopping tool, but it's banned on RFD--a place where consumers come to get good shopping tools.
I can’t tell you the exact reasons, but I like the answer Jucius offered, it makes sense (cents).

Top