Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO

Amazon introduces new Kindle e-reader - Kindle Oasis

Looks like there will be a new Kindle released at the end of the month. This time it looks like Amazon is doing something right by releasing it at the same time on both Amazon.com AND Amazon.ca

It totes a new "thinner" design and a longer battery life than previous models. Also it's super expensive at $399.99 CAD($289.99 USD on Amazon.com) for the basic model and $499.99 CADfor the Wifi + 3G. Oh and it comes with a leather charging case this time. Heh.

See pics/video and more info here:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B010EK1GOE/ref ... _i=desktop

While I love my Kindle Paperwhite, this is crazy expensive for an eink reader. $400-$500? Come on. It's very doubtful I will ever upgrade unless the price comes down drastically.
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
It's nice that they're still trying to innovate, even if it's only minor increments. Thinner and lighter helps with a device that you hold for long periods of time. But you only get the extra battery life with the added cover, and it's still not waterproof like the Kobo H2O model.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
JamesA1 wrote: It's nice that they're still trying to innovate, even if it's only minor increments. Thinner and lighter helps with a device that you hold for long periods of time. But you only get the extra battery life with the added cover, and it's still not waterproof like the Kobo H2O model.
Still though, that price tag is insane. I love reading on my Kindle, but I could never justify spending that much for an e-reader. $400 before taxes just for the basic model. Included leather case or not, that is crazy.
Dec 21, 2012
786 posts
201 upvotes
$400 for an ereader? lol. what a joke.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
It looks fantastic but I max out at like $200 for an e-reader. It'll get there eventually.
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2004
2126 posts
115 upvotes
Medicine Hat
Yikes, I like it but that's out pricing what I'm willing to buy, I wonder if the market will support this price?
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Love my Kindle Paperwhite, but that was $129.

Just about what I would spend for this kind of product. I use it every day, and it does exactly what I need (displays books). Literally the only use.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
14883 posts
4842 upvotes
Nanaimo, BC
It seems that new electronic products replace the top end and push the price down on the older technology.

I was looking forward to the new Kindle, not because I wanted it, but because I thought it would be priced at the Kindle Voyage level and reduce the prices of the other models.

I didn't imagine that the new model would be at a higher price than existing models.

Now I'll be tracking the price of the Paperwhite, hoping the price will reduce, although I am not hopeful.
Global warming will be exceeded during the 21st century unless deep reductions in carbon dioxide (CO2) and other greenhouse gas emissions occur (United Nations IPCC Report 2021)

Every disaster film starts with scientists being ignored
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
While it's nice to have improved battery life, a month on the previous models seems adequate to me.
Phils
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
Phils wrote: While it's nice to have improved battery life, a month on the previous models seems adequate to me.
It's actually only improved battery life due to the case. I know, "no duh", right? But apparently the Oasis itself has a much lower battery life than other Kindles. Lasting only 1-2 weeks compared to at least a month on older generations.
So I guess that's why they're including this special case to bump up the battery life instead of making it an optional accessory like they usually do.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
It says that the extra battery in the cover charges the internal battery when it's connected. That makes sense, because then if you want to just unsnap the magnetic cover to make the unit lighter when you want to read, the internal battery would usually start out fully charged, and the shorter life of 1-2 weeks wouldn't matter. Probably you would always store and transport it with the cover attached.

But the $399 price in Canada is ridiculous when you can get the Kobo H2O with a larger screen for $180. I really prefer the larger screen, even though it's only an extra inch.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1823 posts
318 upvotes
Scarborough
Honestly Amazon is in a tough place as far as e-reader innovations go. With Liquavista display technology not yet ready for commercialization, there really isn't much they can do to make big changes. Getting people to upgrade old Kindles is tough when they're just so reliable to begin with and there's no major functional differences. I guess waterproofing is the next significant step for most users, but it looks like Amazon isn't ready to go there just yet.

I'm probably sticking to my first gen Paperwhite for at least a couple more years.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: ever-wanted-shoot-guns-legally-next-sat ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $13/month plan
Oct 22, 2004
534 posts
130 upvotes
I still have a Kindle 2 (circa 2009) that's still going strong and is perfectly functional to this day. I'm sure the newer ones are nicer but I don't even want to find out.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4110 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
I'm thinking of getting a paperwhite, hopefully this triggers price drops down the line.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
2900 posts
1583 upvotes
So how much faster is this new device in terms of turning page or navigating UI compared to my Kindle 3/keyboard?

Because I bought a kobo glo hd and it was a terrible device, and I returned it. Slow, clunky and shitty UI, worse even than my old kindle 3.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)