Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

{Amazon} Kindle Paperwhite $119.99 ($20 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2016 5:16 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
Claudios wrote: Hi folks,

i got the 1st gen. paperwhite.
is the upgrade to this worth it in your opinion ?

Thanks
I also have the 1st gen paperwhite. I suspect this a a borderline decision. I went for this 3rd gen deal mainly because of the 300 dpi vs 212 with the 1st gen. Supposedly a new font also, possibly more space? Really not an obvious upgrade but I really like the PaperWhite and the 3rd gen does have a few advantages. My main problem was deciding between wifi only and the added cell capability. Good luck in deciding!
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4349 posts
1588 upvotes
Vancouver
pmcd wrote:
I also have the 1st gen paperwhite. I suspect this a a borderline decision. I went for this 3rd gen deal mainly because of the 300 dpi vs 212 with the 1st gen. Supposedly a new font also, possibly more space? Really not an obvious upgrade but I really like the PaperWhite and the 3rd gen does have a few advantages. My main problem was deciding between wifi only and the added cell capability. Good luck in deciding!
I don't think the cell functionality adds much value.. I mean, plan ahead right? Stick the books you want to read on it and go. How long are you away from wi-fi that you need to have constant access to new reading material? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only see the benefit of being able to use the dictionary on-the-go.. but I don't think that's worth the extra $$$.

I purchased the 3rd gen as an impulse buy (and to get back into reading) when I saw it for $99 on Prime Day without much research. I never got to play with the Kobo Glo HD but I'm pretty happy with the Paperwhite.
Biggest pro: Cloud sync. Purchased books and "personal docs" that you upload to the cloud can be accessed and downloaded from any device with the Kindle app or a Kindle and reading progress and bookmarks, etc. are all in sync.
Cons: Does not read ePub and the screen has a slight bluish tint in the dark (not sure what the Glo HD looks like).
Removed external link in signature.
Dec 8, 2012
987 posts
644 upvotes
Calgary
can I upload my book library to the kobo device? I store everything in fb2 format
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2018 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
lhsonic wrote: I don't think the cell functionality adds much value.. I mean, plan ahead right? Stick the books you want to read on it and go. How long are you away from wi-fi that you need to have constant access to new reading material? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I only see the benefit of being able to use the dictionary on-the-go.. but I don't think that's worth the extra $$$.
You have a point and I did eventually decide on the WiFi only version. The one thing that did appeal to me with the cell version was being able to access a description of a book at any time. Never quite sure what I want to read, within reason, and find myself starting a book I either don't like or have read! Of course, that is not an issue with really good books. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be that many really good books. Of course it depends on your taste in book and whether fiction or non-fiction is your thing.

Upgrading from the 1st generation to the 3rd is really of questionable benefit I think. Didn't realize it was $100 on Prime day! Makes me doubt this purchase:)
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
3347 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
dbdudley wrote:
ph00p wrote: I use my g/fs Kindle Paperwhite all the time, but I prefer my KoboGlo HD for the ease of use of all the formats, also if theres something on amazon only that you want on your kobo you can get some applications to help put them on the Kobo Glo. I've found that the Kobo Glo has more font options.
This applies the other way around too though - Amazon/Kindle format can be converted to ePub/Kobo format.
Can you explain how to do this ?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
Niklasky wrote:
dbdudley wrote: This applies the other way around too though - Amazon/Kindle format can be converted to ePub/Kobo format.
1. Download Calibre
2. Add the book into the Calibre library.
3. Right click the book in the list, and select convert, and pick format.

It's that easy. Calibre will also upload to your ereader, and convert automatically if the reader does not support the file format in your library.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2008
2935 posts
1149 upvotes
knapper wrote:
Niklasky wrote:
dbdudley wrote: This applies the other way around too though - Amazon/Kindle format can be converted to ePub/Kobo format.
1. Download Calibre

It's that easy. Calibre will also upload to your ereader, and convert automatically if the reader does not support the file format in your library.
This is exactly how I've always done it.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
3347 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
knapper wrote:
Niklasky wrote:
1. Download Calibre

Thanks !

How do you then transfer the books you have downloaded with calibre into your kindle ?
Deal Addict
Jun 22, 2004
3048 posts
944 upvotes
Niklasky wrote:
knapper wrote:
Niklasky wrote:
1. Download Calibre

Thanks !

How do you then transfer the books you have downloaded with calibre into your kindle ?
1. Load Calibre
2. Connect eReader to computer
3. Select book, right click, choose 'send to device'
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
3347 posts
2475 upvotes
Toronto, ON
knapper wrote:
Niklasky wrote:
knapper wrote:

1. Download Calibre

Thanks !

1. Load Calibre
2. Connect eReader to computer
3. Select book, right click, choose 'send to device'
Thanks !

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)