Shopping Discussion

Locked: Amazon limbo - they claim I 'refused delivery'

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2019 7:58 am
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
As it has now been six days, and neither the tracking nor refund status have budged in all that time, I decided enough was enough with this nonsense (despite some here thinking I should just let the charge sit on my credit card indefinitely while I give them all the time in the world), and I once again dove into the chat help waters. This time, however, I was met with an agent so completely different from the first, I was compelled to remark to them how nice it was to feel someone actually understood what I was saying. They agreed that it was an unusually long period of time for something to be returned, and now consider the package 'lost' (I doubt that, but 'whatever' at this point). They put my refund through, and that is that (I know you were all on the edge of your seats waiting to see how this played out. ;) )
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
Glad everything worked out.

I have had issues with sellers and shipments over the years with Amazon. If you end up getting the run around, I just email jeff@amazon.com. This is the email that goes to Jeff Bezos exec support team and they do follow up within 24 hours and resolve issues. In your email, just stick to the facts and clearly explain the situation. It goes without saying but definitely don't use poor language (i.e. no WTF, @sshole or any rude language).

The last time I had an issue that I escalated to Jeff it dealt with a seller who listed memory as 2 x16 GB and just sent me 16 GB but charged the same. They wanted me to ship the memory back (at my cost) and pay to "test" the ram. I got tired of the Seller's foolishness and emailed Jeff to take advantage of the A-Z customer guaranty and I got my $$ back and got to keep the ram.

One time I emailed Jeff to ask why Canada was getting the older Amazon Firestick devices compared to the US. I actually got info of the new devices coming in a couple of weeks and a $20 gift card on my account for my continued loyalty.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
hightech wrote: I have had issues with sellers and shipments over the years with Amazon. If you end up getting the run around, I just email jeff@amazon.com. This is the email that goes to Jeff Bezos exec support team and they do follow up within 24 hours and resolve issues. In your email, just stick to the facts and clearly explain the situation. It goes without saying but definitely don't use poor language (i.e. no WTF, @sshole or any rude language).
Thanks for this. I'm hoping it's smooth sailing in the future, but good to know regardless - I didn't see this e-mail option or I would have used it rather than the chat. And no, I would never be a jerk to them, I would be rational (although I was saying some choice words out loud to myself while dealing with the first chat agent!)

Since the courier botched the delivery, all I wanted was a timely refund. It was just frustrating to have to chase them down to get it, it should not be that way.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
Your initial post sounds extremely arrogant and so do your replies. The very fact that you act like your security would always be there and that your post worker would immediately know to safe drop it at his desk just shows daftness. The postal worker did his job, then you rant to Amazon about it. No wonder you're downvoted
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
User381785 wrote: Your initial post sounds extremely arrogant and so do your replies. The very fact that you act like your security would always be there and that your post worker would immediately know to safe drop it at his desk just shows daftness. The postal worker did his job, then you rant to Amazon about it. No wonder you're downvoted
...and so does yours, I can assure you. But thanks for adding to the chorus, I think I can grasp now that there are people who feel nobody should take issue with receiving subpar service. And it wasn't a postal worker, genius, it was Amazon's own delivery service. And no, he didn't do his job, which should be painfully clear by now, but perhaps that went above your head along with the several times I conceded that the security might not have indeed been there. Might I ask: Who do you suggest I rant to other than Amazon, when Amazon failed to deliver my package or reimburse me? Perhaps a strongly worded e-mail to Burger King?

Get this through your head: in fluffy-bunny-and-kitten land, everything is rosy all the time and there's never a need for complaint or conflict. But here in the real world, some of us do not allow massive corporations to run roughshod over us, and we seek out solutions to those problems when presented with them, even if that means sounding 'arrogant' to the kind of person who doesn't see an issue with not receiving what they've paid for.

Amazon agrees with me, but User-so-and-so on an internet forum doesn't. Fortunately, life goes on.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
You really sound like you are 15 years old. You made an assumption that your security was not only there but that the delivery person would immediately know to leave a package at your desk.
Your own copy and paste of the tracking shows they did in fact attempt a delivery, not that you refused it. You didn't bother to check with security until later. You're ranting at people offering assistance to you. You then whine to Amazon because someone delivering your package followed their security protocols, couldn't deliver the package and would not safe drop it. Instead of contacting Amazon and asking them to make a second attempt, you shit on a poor employee and blame the company. You act like a child and you sound like one.
Aug 8, 2019
0 posts
Same here
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
User381785 wrote: You really sound like you are 15 years old. You made an assumption that your security was not only there but that the delivery person would immediately know to leave a package at your desk.
Your own copy and paste of the tracking shows they did in fact attempt a delivery, not that you refused it. You didn't bother to check with security until later. You're ranting at people offering assistance to you. You then whine to Amazon because someone delivering your package followed their security protocols, couldn't deliver the package and would not safe drop it. Instead of contacting Amazon and asking them to make a second attempt, you shit on a poor employee and blame the company. You act like a child and you sound like one.
Okay, so I was right, you didn't grasp this. Since you are cherry-picking to embolden your point, I will again point out that I have conceded that the security might not have been there, despite the fact that I haven't seen that happen in 13 years, with regards to deliveries or otherwise. I guess it did this time? If that helps you. As for my posting of the tracking, I don't see how you could possibly miss the words 'customer refused delivery'. Once again, I'll point out how false that is. And hopefully you can piece together that I didn't check with security until later because I was not informed of this so-called delivery attempt until after they had 'been and left'. Or do you think I stand in the lobby and wait all day for them? If you read my OP properly and concentrated less on your foaming at the mouth on behalf of the richest man in the world, you'd see that I did contact Amazon and ask that it get sent out, but the guy could only give vague possibilities on when that might be, and this item was of little use to me after that date. Think about these points before you make them.

Your leaping to the defense of the 'poor employee' is a head-scratcher. For one thing, they aren't reading this, they haven't been named and they will suffer no undue negativity as a result. Interesting to note too that you ignore my praise of the second employee. I guess that wouldn't fit in with your narrative. BTW, your incorrect jibe at me about being childish didn't need to be mentioned a second time. That kind of grasping tends to happen when someone realizes they've run out of actual, reasonable points to make and looks for attempts to wound or insult - neither of which happened.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
BrianW22752 wrote: Same here
Oh, tell us more, guy who just joined and immediately found this thread! There isn't a chance that you are the same person, is there? My Sherlock hat just rumbled on its hook.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Progatron wrote: I don't see how you could possibly miss the words 'customer refused delivery'.
Maybe the same way you stopped reading after "customer refused delivery" and missed "order canceled"
Once again, I'll point out how false that is.

Going by your own tracking information that you posted, that looks pretty true to me.
6:52 PM
Customer refused delivery: order canceled
Burlington, CA

6:52 PM
Stop and Return Request Received.
Mississauga, CA

6:32 PM
Delivery attempted
Mississauga, CA
6:32 PM: Delivery Attempted (and failed)
Between 6:32PM and 6:52 PM: I assume you contacted Amazon asking where your stuff is.
6:52PM: Stop and Return Request Received (because you cancelled your order)
6:52PM: Customer refused delivery: order canceled (because your order is now cancelled)
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
6:32 PM: Delivery Attempted (and failed)
Between 6:32PM and 6:52 PM: I assume you contacted Amazon asking where your stuff is.
6:52PM: Stop and Return Request Received (because you cancelled your order)
6:52PM: Customer refused delivery: order canceled (because your order is now cancelled)
'Order canceled', I agree with. Because yes, once they told me they couldn't get it to me in time, I didn't want it. 'Refused delivery', though? No. I wanted the delivery. The 'Stop and return request received' seems sufficient to me.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Progatron wrote: 'Refused delivery', though? No. I wanted the delivery.
Would it help if it was reversed and it said "order canceled" then "refused delivery"?
The 'Stop and return request received' seems sufficient to me.
Does wording really matter? It's an internal thing that generates an event.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Would it help if it was reversed and it said "order canceled" then "refused delivery"?
No, because there was never a delivery refused, there was only an order canceled after a delivery failed.

death_hawk wrote: Does wording really matter? It's an internal thing that generates an event.
I answered this earlier in the thread, but yes it matters to me. It's more than a simple case of semantics. I don't want a note on my account that says I refused a delivery, that potentially labels me as a problem customer, and can be used against me in any future dispute (unlikely, I know). But once again, that was only half the issue. The other half was how they dealt with it following the delivery 'attempt' - and here, almost a full week later, it STILL hasn't been returned. The tracking is exactly the same as it was when I made the thread.

However, what a few of you are missing here is that I got it taken care of (by a knowledgeable and competent employee, my praise of whom seems to go unnoticed). It's done. They fixed it for me finally. I know that the desire to continue voicing disgust at somebody is a powerful one, but this is now a non-issue - for me, at least. Perhaps not for user-what's-his-name above there, but he appears inconsolable regardless. I'm all good.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Progatron wrote: I don't want a note on my account that says I refused a delivery, that potentially labels me as a problem customer, and can be used against me in any future dispute (unlikely, I know).
Amazon (aka who you bought from) knows the real story.
How the courier handles it internally (and displays it externally) won't change how the merchant feels about you.
I doubt they (Amazon) even knows you "refused" the delivery. All they see is that they recalled the package.
The other half was how they dealt with it following the delivery 'attempt' - and here, almost a full week later, it STILL hasn't been returned. The tracking is exactly the same as it was when I made the thread.
I've had the same thing happen when I cancelled an order after it has shipped. Refunds are never ask quick as orders.
this is now a non-issue - for me, at least.
The previous line I quoted seems to indicate differently.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Refunds are never ask quick as orders.
That's putting it mildly, but okay. Amazon agreed with me that it had been an unusually long time (their words).
death_hawk wrote: The previous line I quoted seems to indicate differently.
Well, it shouldn't. It's only still being discussed at this point because you keep replying to the thread. On page 2, I made it clear that it had finally been taken care of, thanks to the helpful chat agent I encountered, and signed off with "They put my refund through - and that was that". If you're at all curious as to how a sensible and reasonable person responds to that, look to the next reply: "Glad everything worked out" - followed by some legitimately helpful information (really!)
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Whenever Amazon screws up.. don't get mad, get a credit for the inconvenience.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
Progatron wrote: No, because there was never a delivery refused, there was only an order canceled after a delivery failed.

I answered this earlier in the thread, but yes it matters to me. It's more than a simple case of semantics. I don't want a note on my account that says I refused a delivery, that potentially labels me as a problem customer, and can be used against me in any future dispute (unlikely, I know). But once again, that was only half the issue. The other half was how they dealt with it following the delivery 'attempt' - and here, almost a full week later, it STILL hasn't been returned. The tracking is exactly the same as it was when I made the thread.

However, what a few of you are missing here is that I got it taken care of (by a knowledgeable and competent employee, my praise of whom seems to go unnoticed). It's done. They fixed it for me finally. I know that the desire to continue voicing disgust at somebody is a powerful one, but this is now a non-issue - for me, at least. Perhaps not for user-what's-his-name above there, but he appears inconsolable regardless. I'm all good.
TheImp wrote: Whenever Amazon screws up.. don't get mad, get a credit for the inconvenience.
They didn't screw up. The delivery person couldn't access delivery and didn't safe drop the package, as expected. The OP raged at Amazon for this, asks to cancel his delivery and then whines that they cancelled it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7137 upvotes
Sometimes English isn't their first language so when you have this run around it's better just to ask to have the case escalated. I've had nothing but positive experiencesedealing with Amazon customer service. They're overly accommodating.

Not sure why this single incident ( since you never had a problem) warrants a whiny thread on here
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
User381785 wrote: They didn't screw up. The delivery person couldn't access delivery and didn't safe drop the package, as expected. The OP raged at Amazon for this, asks to cancel his delivery and then whines that they cancelled it.
Ha... I see you not only can't help yourself, and conveniently ignore anything I've mentioned that won't help your weak attempt to crucify me, but you've basically gone full-on troll at this point. This is over. It's fixed. I've considered based on your posts that you may have issues that prevent you from comprehending the facts, but give it a shot. Saying that I 'whined' that they canceled it is ridiculous and flat-out false, as I suspect you know, really. Is your last name Bezos, by chance? Or do you get this worked up every time someone doesn't operate precisely the way that you would?

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to bask in the comfort of my refunded money, pleased as punch, while you continue to be laughably annoyed at someone you've never met, but feel you should have a bizarre personal vendetta against based on a few posts of cold text on an internet forum. Take care.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)