Hot Deals

Amazon: Makita SDS Plus 17 Piece Drill and Chisel Kit ~$47 incl HST

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2017 2:08 pm
Nov 12, 2009
61 posts
12 upvotes
Halifax
I basically got a box folded over onto itself, about 50 sheets of paper high (like an a box envelope), and a UPS driver actually delivered it. After a few calls, it turns out the UK Amazon customer service line is 011442070847911 and they were very helpful and reordered it for me and ensured it would be delivered at no extra charge.
Nov 12, 2009
61 posts
12 upvotes
Halifax
but there is not doubt what I received was shipped that way, this wasn't a UPS guys steeling the goods. It was a flat box envelop. No wonder it made it through customs so quickly.
Nov 30, 2013
106 posts
97 upvotes
Hamilton
Rekkid wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:58 pm
but there is not doubt what I received was shipped that way, this wasn't a UPS guys steeling the goods. It was a flat box envelop. No wonder it made it through customs so quickly.
Amazon customer service is top tier, glad to her they are going to make things right.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2008
1615 posts
106 upvotes
Emporium wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 7:09 pm
When I wanted to make a 4" hole in a wall to run a dryer vent, I just used a 1/2" bit, drilled a dozen or so holes around the perimeter, and then used the chisel to break away everything in between. A 1/2" Bosch bulldog Xtreme bit, went through 12" of reinforced concrete, like butter, even with an el-cheapo SDS plus drill I picked up from Rona. OK, not as clean as having used a proper 4" core bit, but any decent core bit for that concrete would have cost me well over $250, and not sure it would survive the reinforced concrete. At least taking the multiple hole approach, once I broke the material in the center of the circle, I had 1 piece of rebar, which I used my sawzall with a bimetal blade to cut through.

Initially I tried using my Makita HP2010N (which is no slouch typically) and it was too painful.
Thanks for your insight! Did you experience the brick breaking (outside of the 4")?
Items For Sale:
Jacket and Shoes
Trades
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1144 posts
432 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Questionz wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 1:57 pm
Thanks for your insight! Did you experience the brick breaking (outside of the 4")?
I wasn't in brick in my case. It was on a reinforced concrete wall. So there was no breaking outside of where I drilled.
For brick, it may be different. In brick, if I had to do this, after drilling the holed around the perimeter, I'd probably also drill a couple of holes in the center. Then, between the holes around the perimeter, I'd use my grinder with a cutoff disk, and score the perimeter. That way, when the brick breaks, it would snap along the scored line in most cases, leaving a relatively clean looking front.