None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5669 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal

Amazon Mastercard by MBNA

Last night, someone made a post on Reddit claiming the Amazon credit card would soon be relaunched as a MasterCard with the following benefits

* 2.5% return on Amazon purchase, restaurants and groceries, 5% for first 6 months, 1% on all other purchases
* No exchange fees
* Prime membership required

He didn't disclose with which financial institution but his post history suggests he works for TD. Another redditor "validated" the claim by saying that he worked for the same FI and was reporting the OP for breach of confidentiality. OP quickly deleted his posts after this.

Take this with a grain of salt and mods, feel free to delete/move if you see fit.
Thread Summary

Currently not available MBNA has suspended all new applications and possibly existing accounts.

Amazon.ca Rewards Mastercard, issued by TD/mbna

Promo: 5% back on purchases at Amazon.ca, Whole Foods, grocery stores, and restaurants for 6 months (max $3000 spend).

Benefits for Prime members:
  • 2.5% back on Amazon.ca, Whole Foods, and Foreign Currency transactions.
  • 1% back everywhere else.

Benefits for non-Prime members:
  • 1.5% back on Amazon.ca and Whole Foods.
  • 1% back everywhere else (including foreign purchases).

Prime members include those with the free trial, those with a monthly/annual subscription, and those with student Prime.
Extended warranty and purchase protection
This card has a forex fee of 2.5% (so Prime members net 0% on foreign purchases)
Rewards are given as an Amazon credit with a minimum value of $20 required for redemption.

Be careful to use the Amazon APP

DO NOT CLICK ON APPLY NOW

From APP notes "By clicking "Apply Now, you authorize and direct Amazon to share information with MBNA about you and your Amazon.ca account, including purchase, and account history. Prime status and account identifiers, to assist MBNA in its evaluation of your application and, if you are approved, the maintenance, servicing, and administration of your card account, as well as certain internal reporting and analytics"
726 replies
Aug 5, 2018
420 posts
464 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:09 pm
was reporting the OP for breach of confidentiality
LMAO.

This is so hilarious.

Why so much hate?

Plus, how would he report OP?
How would he know which TD employee is this?

The earnings rate on Amazon is somewhat competitive for no annual fee (the other 2 categories are not competitive).
But prime membership is not cheap though, probably not worth it for most.
May 1, 2018
815 posts
449 upvotes
Vancouver
I wonder if having a student Prime membership will allow you to apply and keep this card.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2018
2300 posts
1608 upvotes
I wonder if supplementary cards will be available.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
4235 posts
2576 upvotes
TD Amazon MasterCard?
Sound interesting...

However, I don't think I will apply for this card. When travelling abroad, I prefer having both MC and Visa (Rogers WE and HT Visa). 2 MCs are not going to work well.
💳 Amex Cobalt & Business Platinum - the golden combo for life
May 12, 2019
74 posts
98 upvotes
This is exciting. I only use MC at Costco and restaurants so this seems like a great backup for my Cobalt
Dec 20, 2017
489 posts
562 upvotes
TD killed off their mastercard portfolio (keeping it with MBNA), and doesn't seem like they're going back. I don't think this is quite right.

Only big 5 that still issue MC: BMO & RBC. BMO being primary, with RBC being secondary (moneris partnership)? I recall reading BMO had the mc licensing and RBC had visa back in the day.
May 12, 2019
74 posts
98 upvotes
Delight wrote:
May 17th, 2019 5:21 am
TD killed off their mastercard portfolio (keeping it with MBNA), and doesn't seem like they're going back. I don't think this is quite right.

Only big 5 that still issue MC: BMO & RBC. BMO being primary, with RBC being secondary (moneris partnership)? I recall reading BMO had the mc licensing and RBC had visa back in the day.
Couldn't it be an MBNA branded MC that's just backed/administered by TD? In which case their departments dealing with MBNA CCs would know about it?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5669 posts
1505 upvotes
Montreal
xx1what wrote:
May 16th, 2019 11:17 pm
LMAO.

This is so hilarious.

Why so much hate?

Plus, how would he report OP?
How would he know which TD employee is this?

The earnings rate on Amazon is somewhat competitive for no annual fee (the other 2 categories are not competitive).
But prime membership is not cheap though, probably not worth it for most.
The OP had some identifying information in his post history including a picture of himself. Looking through the comments, the other poster didn't directly report him but rather forwarded to thread to Legal to allow them to investigate.

The OP also made it sound like you could get the card without Prime, but that the benefits would be reduced.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28080 posts
13894 upvotes
Ottawa
I can always find another slot in my wallet for a no FX fee card!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5542 posts
3489 upvotes
psyko514 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:52 am
The OP had some identifying information in his post history including a picture of himself. Looking through the comments, the other poster didn't directly report him but rather forwarded to thread to Legal to allow them to investigate.

The OP also made it sound like you could get the card without Prime, but that the benefits would be reduced.
Screw TD, I'm glad if it irritates them.
Jul 25, 2018
640 posts
953 upvotes
Milton, ON
Thanks for posting. Would've been better if they offered 2.5% on Amazon purchases and 3%+ gas imo, I would gladly eat the annual Prime membership fee if this was the case. No AF 3 and 4% restaurant CCs already exist (Cap1 Platinum and Simplii Visa), as well as 3% groceries (Canadian Tire Triangle WE MC, PC WE MC at associated retailers). Until then, guess I need to wait for a no AF MC offering a better return on gas..
Mar 21, 2019
640 posts
560 upvotes
JoelK22976 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 10:23 am
Thanks for posting. Would've been better if they offered 2.5% on Amazon purchases and 3%+ gas imo, I would gladly eat the annual Prime membership fee if this was the case. No AF 3 and 4% restaurant CCs already exist (Cap1 Platinum and Simplii Visa), as well as 3% groceries (Canadian Tire Triangle WE MC, PC WE MC at associated retailers). Until then, guess I need to wait for a no AF MC offering a better return on gas..
+1
Really, this is only geared towards heavy Amazon shoppers who have a Prime membership already.
It doesn’t make much sense to me to get Amazon Prime just for the sake of getting this card, especially when we don’t yet have information on the inevitable accelerator cap yet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
5542 posts
3489 upvotes
masterman wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:21 am
+1
Really, this is only geared towards heavy Amazon shoppers who have a Prime membership already.
It doesn’t make much sense to me to get Amazon Prime just for the sake of getting this card, especially when we don’t yet have information on the inevitable accelerator cap yet.
You can buy gift cards with the Amex Cobalt for 5% at Amazon too.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2005
4404 posts
2155 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:23 am
You can buy gift cards with the Amex Cobalt for 5% at Amazon too.
who knows how long that will last.