Shopping Discussion

Amazon now has "Prime Members Only" items?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 9:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5022 upvotes

Amazon now has "Prime Members Only" items?

So I went to my Amazon cart today and had some "saved for later items" and noticed one of them (just an $8 BD I was going to add whenever I made another order) has magically changed to "for Prime Members only"! WTF? Was this always going on or is it something new? I can imagine they had some items and promotional things before that were Prime only, that seems fine. But now they're just changing general items to "Prime Members Only"? Are they for real?

The odd thing is too, this is an $8 item. The whole reason I haven't purchased it before was because I wasn't going to pay for shipping just that item. With Prime of course, it would ship for free. But making something like this Prime Only, how does that benefit them? So they can ship more low-dollar items for free? I mean it's the same price on Walmart.ca IIRC. It's not sold in stores but I could just get it there with free postal outlet pickup (why they don't have ISPU I have no clue but whatever).

I dunno it's the first time I've seen it on a general item and it seems like a dumb move to me. Granted I have been pondering getting a Prime membership but that's besides the point.
39 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1475 posts
525 upvotes
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5022 upvotes
froesesp wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 2:38 pm
I could, but I think you're missing the point.

First of all I would have put this in with another order I'm about to make with other movies, but now I cannot because it's "Prime Members Exclusive". It's not something new, unique, or some promotional thing, it's just a run of the mill Blu-ray disc. Why it's all of a sudden "Prime Exclusive" when it wasn't before seems merely arbitrary. In this case they are merely losing out on a sale.

Secondly, I can get it from Walmart online for the same price and free shipping, so it's not any kind of draw to get a Prime membership (again it's nothing actually exclusive to Amazon or novel in any significant way). Again this is no enticement to get a Prime membership.

You saying, "well just get a Prime membership then" is like someone saying "get a Costco membership" and then as a basis for it using an example of a product they can get they can get, identically, at another retailer at the same price. That's not really motivation to get a membership now is it?
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3868 posts
3035 upvotes
Toronto
While I was on my Prime trial, I bought something "for Prime Members only" that was substantially discounted from Amazon's normal price. I could be wrong, but maybe you have to log into your Prime account to see the Prime Member price? So maybe that $8 item is $2 for Prime members and that's the advantage for them?

Anyway, that "Prime Member only" discount only lasted a day or two, and then it went back to normal price and everyone could order it, so you can still get your $8 item.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5197 posts
5745 upvotes
The "everyday prime only deal" was only happened in US. However, after the prime-day this year, it started to happen in Canada as everyday deal. I still haven't bumped into any of these deal which makes me join Prime (even trial). Saving a few bucks to join Prime is ridiculous unless you always need fast shipping and don't have much spend to meet the free shipping requirement. Plus Amazon has recently kept taken away Prime benefit and delay shipping, there is no point to join Prime.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24746 posts
5022 upvotes
jm1 wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 5:32 pm
While I was on my Prime trial, I bought something "for Prime Members only" that was substantially discounted from Amazon's normal price. I could be wrong, but maybe you have to log into your Prime account to see the Prime Member price? So maybe that $8 item is $2 for Prime members and that's the advantage for them?

Anyway, that "Prime Member only" discount only lasted a day or two, and then it went back to normal price and everyone could order it, so you can still get your $8 item.
I understand those ones, sure. Prime only prices are one thing, what I'm talking about are items you can't buy, period, without a membership. Not at a higher price, not at all--you simply can't buy it unless you're a Prime member.
Feb 3, 2011
26 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal north shore
Ran into such a Prime-only item last week. Found a good price then found out I can't order it Angry Face Frustrating.
Today it was a Prime-only price on an item. More frustration.

It just makes me feel like Amazon sees me as a 2nd rank customer because I don't have a prime membership.
And I can tell you that it doesn't make me want to actually buy such a membership.

So... both Amazon and I loose at this game. I'm just going to end up taking more business elsewhere.
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 12th, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate language
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
17729 posts
1760 upvotes
Space for rent
hvwozq wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:53 am
Someone ask this person to post a link to the item in question.
May be it's a personal sensitive item?
Last edited by TomRFD on Dec 12th, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: inappropriate content
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5197 posts
5745 upvotes
You know what, I was lucky I wasn't being lured to join Prime because I have seen few Prime only items kept dropping the price. One of the item is even remove the "Prime Only" when it hits the lowest price, so I bought it. I felt sorry about the people who have Prime membership bought it at higher price.

The only point I don't understand about the "Prime Only item" is that when other online retailers are selling at the same price with free shipping too. If Amazon offers the lowest price compare with other retailers or the item only exclusive to Amazon (such as Amazonbasic), then I totally agree the item considers as "Prime Exclusive Only". I think the Amazon management team doesn't really understand what is the meaning of "Exclusive". When I can buy it elsewhere with the same price and Amazon only offers to Prime Only, it just forces me to spend my money somewhere else.
mach128x wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:39 pm
Ran into such a Prime-only item last week. Found a good price then found out I can't f?&?/ order it Angry Face Frustrating.

It just makes me feel like Amazon sees me as a 2nd rank customer because I don't have a prime membership.
And I can tell you that it doesn't make me want to actually buy such a membership.

So... both Amazon and I loose at this game. I'm just going to end up taking more business elsewhere.
Banned
Nov 24, 2017
75 posts
55 upvotes
mach128x wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 8:39 pm
Ran into such a Prime-only item last week. Found a good price then found out I can't f?&?/ order it Angry Face Frustrating.

Costco does the same thing, no? It is a normal business practice and you shouldn't feel this way. They want you to spend more money, that's all.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2005
1408 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
I don’t understand, if you don’t want prime just don’t give them your business. If you want the item and others in the future get prime.
Feb 3, 2011
26 posts
7 upvotes
Montreal north shore
Well, two things.

It might be me, but I never ran into Prime-only prices or items until this Fall.
Usually I would shop around and end up finding the best price on Amazon, and just buy it. Amazon eventually became my go-to place because of that. Now when Amazon has the best price more often than not, it's either a Prime-only price or an Prime-exclusive item!

The comparison with Costco does not stand. You have to pay to get into Costco. As a paying Costco member you agree to that going in. Every Costco member can buy anything at anytime. They're not randomly prohibiting some people from buying this or that item, or offering exclusive pricing only to specific members at random times! You aren't pitched with a low price in your face only to find out later that you can't have it because, you know, Prime.
Costco's business practices are consistent and predictable.

Amazon's however are not and are somewhat deceiving to top it off. Aside from the low-pricing with the small-ish reference to Prime underneath which is of course in light gray (so that your eyes focus on the price, rather than the Prime reference). There are the unadvertised quantity limits that you only find out at checkout which are another example of that; they hide those limits until the end because at that point you're going to simply get the max quantity you can at the low price and pay more for the remainder (even maybe through a 3rd party seller, a sale with which they would still make money), and they know that.
Last edited by mach128x on Dec 12th, 2017 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.