Shopping Discussion

Amazon now has "Prime Members Only" items?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2017 9:53 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24331 posts
4618 upvotes
bylo wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 11:59 am
Another data point. The humidifier pad I linked upthread shows CDN$ 14.99 Prime Exclusive when I look at it from my account. But when I access that page in Chrome's Incognito mode it shows CDN$ 14.99 + CDN$ 12.98 shipping.

Now the crazy thing is that even if I was willing to pay for shipping, there's no Add to Cart button. The only option is to Try Prime for 30 Days. So why offer it with shipping extra when it's not possible to buy it that way?
This one?
https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-HC26A10 ... 005UTVIUC/

Yeah says Prime Exclusive for me too. If I log out it does indicate the shipping amount but still indicates it's Prime Exclusive (which doesn't make any sense 'cause it should ship for free but that's how it shows up for me).

The BD of The Martian as referenced in post#6 though, it's no longer Prime Exclusive as it was according to that poster.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15826 posts
8132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ES_Revenge wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 12:03 pm
This one?
Yes.

I realize the humidifier pad example is different from the other examples. I mentioned it because the way it's listed makes no sense even to non-Prime members who are prepared to pay for shipping.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
May 22, 2003
3385 posts
1461 upvotes
Vancouver
So I'm a new member of amazon prime, only joined few a months ago to buy the SNES classic. Since become a Prime member, I've placed 2 orders. First order was supposed to arrive in 2 days, took 5 days to arrive. Placed an order yesterday for 1-day (next day) free Prime shipping, as of now, still has not shipped. Anybody else have these issues? I might as well cancel my prime membership.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2015
1510 posts
721 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4872 posts
5182 upvotes
Since you pay for the prime membership, you should complain every time even it is 1 day delay. Usually there is compensation either extending 1 month of prime membership or Amazon credit for future purchase. I'm NOT a Prime member. I normally won't complain if there is a delay of 1 or 2 days. Luckily, over 98% of my 150 orders this year are arrived on time. The only delay orders are from Dynamex and the orders during BF/CM.
Jermyzy wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:36 pm
So I'm a new member of amazon prime, only joined few a months ago to buy the SNES classic. Since become a Prime member, I've placed 2 orders. First order was supposed to arrive in 2 days, took 5 days to arrive. Placed an order yesterday for 1-day (next day) free Prime shipping, as of now, still has not shipped. Anybody else have these issues? I might as well cancel my prime membership.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4872 posts
5182 upvotes
You can only do it when you are NOT prime in the last 12 months. If yes, you have to pay for the membership unless you try to abuse the signup loophole
earthpetal wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:43 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
15826 posts
8132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
earthpetal wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 5:43 pm
lcmt wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 6:20 pm
You can only do it when you are NOT prime in the last 12 months. If yes, you have to pay for the membership unless you try to abuse the signup loophole
I can see doing a 30 days free trial once to try something out. But I just don't feel comfortable about signing up more than once when I know up front that I have absolutely no intention of ever becoming a paid member.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8510 posts
1169 upvotes
Victoria
lcmt wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 6:20 pm
I didn't know the free trial resets every 12 months.... lol. So all you need is 12 email address so you can make 12 accounts, and rotate prime through the 12 accounts? Maybe less because when I used prime earlier in the year it offered me another 30 days when i went to cancel.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4872 posts
5182 upvotes
I agree. I don't foresee I will use any Prime benefits which can added up to $79.99 + tax. What I don't understand why the management team thinks "Fast delivery" is important. Most personal purchase doesn't need the item immediately. Only business purchase will consider fast delivery is critical. To me "On time arrival" delivery is more important than "Fast delivery". It is nice to have "Fast delivery", but 99.9% of my orders don't require it.
bylo wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:32 pm
I can see doing a 30 days free trial once to try something out. But I just don't feel comfortable about signing up more than once when I know up front that I have absolutely no intention of ever becoming a paid member.
Last edited by lcmt on Dec 14th, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4872 posts
5182 upvotes
You are probably right. Other members are saying Amazon has changed the cancellation rules of the trial membership recently. Basically, if you request the trial member to cancel, they will offer additional 30 days trial again to you. So if you try to cancel in the last day and then get another 30 days of trial, it turns out you will get 2 months of trial. In that case, you probably only need 6 or 7 email address.
zod wrote:
Dec 14th, 2017 9:33 pm
I didn't know the free trial resets every 12 months.... lol. So all you need is 12 email address so you can make 12 accounts, and rotate prime through the 12 accounts? Maybe less because when I used prime earlier in the year it offered me another 30 days when i went to cancel.