• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2018 7:51 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes

Amazon now offers $7.99 monthly Prime membership

https://www.amazon.ca/amazonprime?_enco ... _desk_flex

This is good for those who don't want to commit to the yearly $79 membership. You're only losing out on $1.41 per month by going monthly without the yearly commitment.
After your free trial, Amazon Prime is just CDN$ 7.99/month (plus any applicable taxes). Cancel anytime. Quebec residents receive an initial 2-month membership for CDN$ 7.99, instead of a free trial.
65 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
This doesn't sound too bad at all. I don't order off of Amazon all that often and even when I had Prime trials, I never used the extras it gave. I only cared about the fast shipping.

So, every once in a while if I find something I want to order, I may as well just pay the $7.99 + tax instead of whatever the shipping cost is and I get Prime for the rest of the month. Living in the GTA, a lot of stuff is next day delivery too so that's nice.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
6456 posts
925 upvotes
I too don't shop at Amazon often but I like fast shipping too. I just joined prime two weeks ago. Do you think I can downgrade the membership?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2009
1336 posts
635 upvotes
Laval
This will be pretty popular during the Christmas season!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2863 posts
2537 upvotes
Vancouveresque
I think this is available for the half price student membership as well: https://www.amazon.ca/b?ie=UTF8&node=9648404011
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
1833 posts
1624 upvotes
jtcb wrote: I too don't shop at Amazon often but I like fast shipping too. I just joined prime two weeks ago. Do you think I can downgrade the membership?
If it's exactly two weeks, you may be in luck..
You may cancel your Prime membership any time by visiting Your Account and adjusting your membership settings. If you cancel within 14 days of signing up for or converting from a free trial to a paid membership, we will refund your full membership fee; provided that we may charge you (or withhold from your refund) the value of Prime benefits used by you and your account during this 14 day period. If you cancel at any other time, we will refund your full membership fee only if you and your account did not make any eligible purchases or take advantage of Prime benefits since your latest Prime membership charge. Prime memberships redeemed through a Prime gift code or promotional code are not refundable.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/ ... =201910780
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
It's a move they had to make to better compete with spotify in the music space imo, now for $2 cheaper per month than Spotify premium you get ad-free Amazon Music plus Prime Video, plus shopping priviliges.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
5738 posts
1457 upvotes
Thanks OP. $7.99 to pay for one month to order even one product for 2 day shipping is a deal, especially considering I get the amazon video in the process.

Acanac Internet 50/10 FTTN $36 24 months; $61 afterwards
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
2204 posts
3203 upvotes
Amazon getting desperate obviously. I'm sure it's due to how many people they lost when they removed the preorder discounts
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
6578 posts
9073 upvotes
This will definitely help many people just need a few fast shipments every year. However, people still can create a new account with different email and sign up for a free trial every time using the same credit card. In that case, they don't even need to pay the $7.99.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
6578 posts
9073 upvotes
Besides, has Amazon stopped using the courier Dynamex yet? This is another obstacles for me not signing up Prime. One day shipping becomes a one-week shipping and the tracking does not update with shipping delays.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2723 posts
2772 upvotes
Toronto
lcmt wrote: Besides, has Amazon stopped using the courier Dynamex yet? This is another obstacles for me not signing up Prime. One day shipping becomes a one-week shipping and the tracking does not update with shipping delays.
I order stuff amost every other day and it's been almost a year since I've had Dynamex.

90% of the time my stuff gets shipped via Amazon's own courier and they are bloody amazing.

Even if I don't answer their call when they can't get into my building they find a way and come to my door.

I hate it when my order gets assigned to canadapost. If the package is too big for mailbox they have me pick it up at the post office the next day.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
3167 posts
1209 upvotes
Montreal
What a time to be alive!
Client at: Tangerine, VoIP.ms, Virgin Mobile
Jul 28, 2010
780 posts
1030 upvotes
Montreal
Do you get 20% diaper discount with the monthly subcription?
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1838 posts
268 upvotes
Grimsby, ON
Don't forget you still get a Twitch Prime subscription with Amazon Prime. I know it's not useful for everyone, but a LOT of people don't know you can give free $5 monthly subs to content creators with Twitch Prime.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1072 posts
341 upvotes
Montreal
lcmt wrote: Besides, has Amazon stopped using the courier Dynamex yet? This is another obstacles for me not signing up Prime. One day shipping becomes a one-week shipping and the tracking does not update with shipping delays.
Funny, because I had never heard of Dynamex before until yesterday.

They had always used Intelcom for about 99% of my orders on Amazon.ca

Yesterday I saw that my package was delivered by Dynamex, but couldn't find it near my door in the condo building.

Ended up finding it at the front door, not even inside the building. It was just left outside.
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20136 posts
2964 upvotes
scoper wrote: It's a move they had to make to better compete with spotify in the music space imo, now for $2 cheaper per month than Spotify premium you get ad-free Amazon Music plus Prime Video, plus shopping priviliges.
Note that YouTube RED (which comes with Google Play Music) is now also in Canada, for $11.99.

Spotify becomes less and less attractive all the time. When you can pay basically the same and eliminate all YouTube adds, get access to TV shows and movies, AND get free unlimted music... why would you use it.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)