• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 8:00 pm
[OP]
Jan 31, 2015
52 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto

Amazon Pre-Order discount eliminated for prime subscribers

Scummy move - We had 20% previously, then reduced to 10%. Now they are completely eliminating the discount. Further, they hid the e-mail under Twitch Prime changes, rather than changes to Amazon Prime itself.
Users in the states also lose their 20% discount, but instead get a $10 credit for pre-orders.
When we launched Twitch Prime we were determined to give streamers and their viewers the best value in gaming. And since then we’ve seen the Twitch community take advantage of Twitch Prime perks like monthly channel subscriptions to support favorite streamers, Free Games with Prime, and in-game loot for games like Fortnite, PUBG, Hearthstone, and more. On top of everything you get through Amazon Prime, this year alone we’ve offered members more than $1,000 worth of games and loot.

As we have continued to add value to Twitch Prime, we have also re-evaluated some of the existing Prime benefits. As a result, we are announcing two changes.

First, universal ad-free viewing will no longer be part of Twitch Prime for new members, starting on September 14. Members with monthly subscriptions will continue to get ad-free viewing until October 15. If you already have an annual subscription, or if you upgrade to an annual subscription before September 14, you will continue with ad-free viewing until your next renewal date.

Advertising is an important source of support for the creators who make Twitch possible. This change will strengthen and expand that advertising opportunity for creators so they can get more support from their viewers for doing what they love. You can read more details on this change in our recent blog post.

Second, beginning on August 28th, 2018, Prime members will no longer receive a 10% discount on physical video game pre-orders. All eligible pre-orders placed before August 28th, will still receive the 10% discount under the existing benefit once the game is released. For more on this update, click right here.

All other Twitch Prime benefits, like monthly channel subs, monthly games and loot, and chat badges are not changing. You can still get channel-specific ad-free viewing as part of Twitch Prime by using your monthly subscription token on a channel that has ad-free viewing for subscribers turned on. Plus, all Twitch viewers can get ad-free viewing across all channels by subscribing to Twitch Turbo. And with your Twitch Prime membership you can still take advantage of all the other Amazon Prime benefits, like free two-day shipping and access to Prime Video and Prime Music*.

Thank you for being a Twitch Prime member. We look forward to bringing you even more amazing loot, games, and benefits over the coming year.
7 replies
Jul 11, 2017
19 posts
6 upvotes
I think it was inevitable the way things were going. Scummy move on their part hiding it in the Twitch Prime email.
Jan 16, 2016
1 posts
Mirror Mirin
I got the email from Amazon.ca Prime not from Twitch Prime. I can confirm they aren't just sending it out under the Twitch banner etc.
Apr 10, 2012
928 posts
408 upvotes
They got people hooked to Prime by providing numerous benefits and making it 'too good to pass up', only to start stripping the benefits on a semi-annual basis. Now people are too lazy or too used to the shipping benefits to cancel.

I think we all need to start re-evaluating Prime.
Aug 27, 2006
657 posts
227 upvotes
Delta
Once the wife & I are through needing to order diapers for our kids I'll be dropping Prime. They is little incentive left to keep it in Canada.
:twisted: In order to save money, you must spend money. :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7609 posts
1264 upvotes
Never had Prime, and never found a "need" for it. This isnt surprising. They got enough subscribers and Amazon is known to be a cheap corporation.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2011
1097 posts
350 upvotes
OAKVILLE
Spud387 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2018 5:52 pm
Once the wife & I are through needing to order diapers for our kids I'll be dropping Prime. They is little incentive left to keep it in Canada.
Yup. I signed up for 20% off diapers. The other benefits are just nice to haves.

For what it's worth I have been going through the entire series of Parks & Recreation on Prime TV since it's not on Netflix.
My Xbox Gamertag – KY JELLO
My Bell plan: $60/mo – 5GB, 250 LD, Bell-to-Bell, CD, VM, plus unlimited texting & evenings