• Oct 16th, 2017 7:05 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1689 posts
189 upvotes
Burlington

Amazon Prime 20% Off is GONE?

So uhh... when did the Amazon Prime videogame preorder promo stop?

I went to preorder Mario Odyssey and realized that it's only 10? What happened to 20%??

Apologies if people have already talked about this....
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5911 posts
1243 upvotes
Amazon Prime changed it down to 10% off or no discount at all for game pre-orders.
Pre-orders placed before the change took effect still have the old discount (The 20% or E3 30% off discount rate).

Even with Amazon Prime, Amazon's shipping for game pre-orders is still slow in the Toronto area based on my experiences with them.

Prime is good for getting other items relatively quickly without having to meet the minimum order requirement for free shipping.
For getting video games on release day, they have been awful.
Aug 28, 2007
502 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver
I believe they also removed the 2 week window after release. The discount only applies to preorders.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1689 posts
189 upvotes
Burlington
Wow. Well I guess I'm not resubscribing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5872 posts
743 upvotes
Grimsby
It changed a few months ago. I'm not sure where you can get a better deal on new games unfortunately. BestBuy is circling the drain and Walmart/etc are all pretty standard across the board. Maybe just backlog stuff or try kijiji.

Many of us here just preorder a ton of stuff during the E3 price promos then cancel later on if it doesn't look good.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2006
1689 posts
189 upvotes
Burlington
That's what I typically do, but I messed up this year
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2001
4767 posts
1565 upvotes
bibowski wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 8:07 am
That's what I typically do, but I messed up this year
Seems like new releases this year have been on sale much earlier than before...
Jul 13, 2015
7 posts
Kitchener, ON
That was probably the last thing sticking me to Prime. With all the orders in a year, I don't think I save enough from shipping to make it worth its $79.99 price tag. Saving $16 on a new game was really big.

Now, technically they still have the best discount, but that 10% less just means I'll probably pick the game up on the used market at some point in the future. A sad, sad day for Prime subscribers. If I had known this, I probably would have stocked up on a few more titles. Did they ever end up giving notice of this change? It seems that the Amazon Basics discount is gone, too, come to think of it.
Jul 9, 2008
597 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver
This is also quite frustrating as it's still 20% off on amazon.com.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8168 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
If enough people cancel prime with the reason for no 20% off then maybe they’ll bring it back?

Or I could see them doing a sign up for prime promo where you get a one time 20% off.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6766 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 12:24 pm
If enough people cancel prime with the reason for no 20% off then maybe they’ll bring it back?

Or I could see them doing a sign up for prime promo where you get a one time 20% off.
Video game sales is not the top 10 categories in total sales for Amazon. It's pretty much bottom of barrel bottom 20%. Their top sales are electonics, automotive, kitchen and home.

So if all the video game nerds all cancel prime, it won't make a dent and affect them.
I keep mine as I buy from all their departments, yes I was sad they removed 20% off video games but canceling never crossed my mind.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
10252 posts
3629 upvotes
Amazon Prime is getting worse and worse. First we lost the discount off Amazon Basics products, and now this. I don't know if I will bother with it in the future.

I pre-ordered a couple of games and they never applied the 20% discount. Now I have to go through the hassle of a live chat. I'm disappointed with Amazon on this one.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
2717 posts
1101 upvotes
Don't forget no discount on collector editions of video games as well