Shopping Discussion

Amazon Prime 20% off new games - not given any more?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1846 posts
320 upvotes

Amazon Prime 20% off new games - not given any more?

I was trying to get the just released game The Evil Within 2 and noticed Amazon is not providing ANY discount even though the game is brand new. They said within 2 weeks of release you should be getting 20% (or was it 10%) all games. I tried some other games - say Forza 7 - same results. Does anyone know what is going on? This was my main reason for getting Prime in the first place.
4 replies
Nov 20, 2016
249 posts
301 upvotes
Victoria BC
That's a recent change, AFAIK it happened without notice. Instead of 20% off preorders and new releases, we now get 10% off preorders...and no discount on new releases. :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1846 posts
320 upvotes
munguswot wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:46 pm
That's a recent change, AFAIK it happened without notice. Instead of 20% off preorders and new releases, we now get 10% off preorders...and no discount on new releases. :(
That's just unbelievable, especially if no notice. I am certainly NOT renewing my prime then next year.
Jul 24, 2012
943 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
They got burned wayyyyyy too hard because of that Walmart fiasco earlier this year (Walmart listing many pre-orders for $49.96).

There's very little profit to be made on video games for retailers, and Amazon already sold it at a loss for prime member as a benefit.

Because of price-matching pressure and their 'lowest pre-order price guarantee', everyone (including non-prime members) that preordered those select titles from before will be pleasantly surprised to save more money.
You can imagine how much more money Amazon is losing because of that situation. I am pretty sure this is why Amazon changed their pre-order discount from 20% to 10%
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1846 posts
320 upvotes
murtadi007 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 6:39 am
They got burned wayyyyyy too hard because of that Walmart fiasco earlier this year (Walmart listing many pre-orders for $49.96).

There's very little profit to be made on video games for retailers, and Amazon already sold it at a loss for prime member as a benefit.

Because of price-matching pressure and their 'lowest pre-order price guarantee', everyone (including non-prime members) that preordered those select titles from before will be pleasantly surprised to save more money.
You can imagine how much more money Amazon is losing because of that situation. I am pretty sure this is why Amazon changed their pre-order discount from 20% to 10%
True, they lose some money at 20% off but then again you have to pay a pretty decent amount to be a prime member. The calculation should be how many games will a prime member buy using the discount versus the pre-paid membership amount (minus all that free shipping for packages throughtout the year). For someone who doesn't shop all that much and only took advantage of the deal 3-4 times (because of course the main season is NOW, not back in January) I imagine they still end up in the positive overall.

I'm not sure why you refer to $50 games as fiasco, the E3 promotion has been going on for years and must have its own marketing budget. Unless you mean that some people got 20% off on top of $50? I think very few people managed to get that, I certainly didn't and if Amazon thinks the right response to them screwing up is not cancelling those discounts OR owning to their mistake but instead screwing all the OTHER customers who didn't even get the deal, well, then gives me just another reason to ditch the prime.

Also, it's not just a matter of changing preorder from 20 to 10. They were giving discount within 2 weeks of game release. That was a CRITICAL reason to get prime, for me at least, because it lets you check the reviews, check user reaction and then buy if satisfied. That was also important because Amazon does not do free returns, unlike Best Buy or Walmart so just preordering everything and returning duds, which worked with Best Buy for years, doesn't work with Amazon.