• Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2017 3:32 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1029 posts
763 upvotes
Surrey BC

Amazon Prime bit of a ripoff

I signed up with Amazon.com prime and it's costing me 14 dollars a month with the exchange rate factored in. Imagine my surprise when I see that on Amazon.ca it's 79 dollars for the whole year. Wtf? I thought things were cheaper in the US. And why can't you use Amazon.com prime on the Canadian website? Why would someone pay double for the same service?
5 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
flipper316 wrote: I signed up with Amazon.com prime and it's costing me 14 dollars a month with the exchange rate factored in. Imagine my surprise when I see that on Amazon.ca it's 79 dollars for the whole year. Wtf? I thought things were cheaper in the US. And why can't you use Amazon.com prime on the Canadian website? Why would someone pay double for the same service?
I had no idea you could sign up with .com? why not just signup to prime on .ca, its a fantastic service
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Dec 7, 2007
380 posts
391 upvotes
Umm - I’m guessing you didn’t know that Prime Video,Prime Music and Echo services are all available in Canada....

But hey at least you get 2hour delivery service to some of the US cities you aren’t in....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
flipper316 wrote: I signed up with Amazon.com prime and it's costing me 14 dollars a month with the exchange rate factored in. Imagine my surprise when I see that on Amazon.ca it's 79 dollars for the whole year. Wtf? I thought things were cheaper in the US. And why can't you use Amazon.com prime on the Canadian website? Why would someone pay double for the same service?
Because you can't, that's why. Two different sites, two different Prime memberships. Sorry, that's the way it is. You don't have to buy the membership(s) but you should be aware of what you're paying for before you go ahead and agree to buy.

If you're not happy with Prime US membership then just cancel it. Prime used to offer different things but they're largely the same now as Canada has added things like AIV and Music most recently. Prime used to be more a of a ripoff in Canada because you got next to nothing besides the free shipping...and at $79. Now it's actually a better deal, though I imagine the video and music offerings are not nearly as good as the US ones. Still at least you have them now.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1029 posts
763 upvotes
Surrey BC
ES_Revenge wrote: Because you can't, that's why. Two different sites, two different Prime memberships. Sorry, that's the way it is. You don't have to buy the membership(s) but you should be aware of what you're paying for before you go ahead and agree to buy.

If you're not happy with Prime US membership then just cancel it. Prime used to offer different things but they're largely the same now as Canada has added things like AIV and Music most recently. Prime used to be more a of a ripoff in Canada because you got next to nothing besides the free shipping...and at $79. Now it's actually a better deal, though I imagine the video and music offerings are not nearly as good as the US ones. Still at least you have them now.
Cool thanks for the input guys.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)