Shopping Discussion

Amazon Prime free for 30 days - what's the catch?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2015 11:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2013
1704 posts
1824 upvotes
Ottawa

Amazon Prime free for 30 days - what's the catch?

As per the title, if I choose to take advantage of this offer, is there any obligation on my part after 30 days (will my cc be charged)? Thanks
32 replies
Apr 27, 2007
226 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
no catch =)

sign-up and you can technically cancel right away and it will still last a month
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
That you forget to cancel after the free trial :lol:

Or not totally understand what the offer is (It happens!)
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
1594 posts
1295 upvotes
The catch is paying for Amazon Prime in Canada (lots of things that you don't get compared to the USA).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2007
5069 posts
3306 upvotes
Part of the catch is that items need to be shipped by Amazon and must be listed as prime eligible. On .ca there's a surprising amount of items that aren't eligible and for those that are, you would have got free shipping any ways (just not 2 day) just based on valuation.
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
If the .ca Prime was the same as the .com one, I would probably try it...but it is not, so I won't bother. There is no catch, just cancel in time and you won't owe anything.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
Watch out for check box for auto renew when you sign up for trial.

I never saw it and didnt removed the check box. I was charged $80 after 30 days. Luckly i cought it next day from my online banking and was able to cancel and get full refund.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
importpsycho wrote: Watch out for check box for auto renew when you sign up for trial.

I never saw it and didnt removed the check box. I was charged $80 after 30 days. Luckly i cought it next day from my online banking and was able to cancel and get full refund.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1310 posts
718 upvotes
Montreal QC
My prime trial expired and I decided to renew because Amazon has been the best company in my lifetime to deal with. Their customer service alone is unmatched by any other store I have ever dealt with. In addition, items always arrive faster (24-48hrs to Ottawa via prime), well packaged and undamaged.

Many of their items are also significantly cheaper than FS/BB - for example, I recently ordered this:
AmazonBasics 2-Pack High-Speed HDMI Cables Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return, 6.5 feet
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0052SC ... ge_o03_s00

2 quality HDMI cables (well built, sturdy, built to last) for $8.99 (Amazon has it's own line of products - check them out!). You can't find this anywhere else in Canada - especially in places like FS/BB.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
MontrealBonjour wrote: My prime trial expired and I decided to renew because Amazon has been the best company in my lifetime to deal with. Their customer service alone is unmatched by any other store I have ever dealt with. In addition, items always arrive faster (24-48hrs to Ottawa via prime), well packaged and undamaged.

Many of their items are also significantly cheaper than FS/BB - for example, I recently ordered this:
AmazonBasics 2-Pack High-Speed HDMI Cables Supports Ethernet, 3D and Audio Return, 6.5 feet
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0052SC ... ge_o03_s00

2 quality HDMI cables (well built, sturdy, built to last) for $8.99 (Amazon has it's own line of products - check them out!). You can't find this anywhere else in Canada - especially in places like FS/BB.
Yeah. This.

I'm renewing my prime membership primarily because it eliminates the $25 minimum order for free shipping. I seem to buy a LOT that is under 25. And don't like waiting to make an order big enough.

Also agree their customer service is excellent. The biggest hassles are with UPS so far. lol.

I haven't purchased any basics products yet. But I will probably get some soon.

And I disagree about how much is prime eligible. I find most items that as sold by Amazon directly are prime eligible. At least the stuff I tend to order.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1765 posts
832 upvotes
sandav wrote: As per the title, if I choose to take advantage of this offer, is there any obligation on my part after 30 days (will my cc be charged)? Thanks
Amazon prime is awesome, even though I don't have it. :D

Your credit card will be charged after the 30 days, but you can cancel anytime after that and you will get the refund (pro-rated)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Albin wrote: Amazon prime is awesome, even though I don't have it. :D

Your credit card will be charged after the 30 days, but you can cancel anytime after that and you will get the refund (pro-rated)
You can cancel it before that and not be charged anything (and run the prime till the end of the 30 days. They don't cut it off early).

Unless you wanted it for a month after or something.

Their fine print says they will deduct the costs of the membership used. Which could technically included the shipping costs you saved.

A lot of the time with prime my stuff is comming the day before th 2 day guarantee even. Depending. On exactly when I orser. And all so far has been at least on time for the past month.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
Little known and unadvertised fact; you are eligible for another trial 1 year after the end of your first one (so every 13 months)...and so on.

..unless they closed that loophole in the last year. Enjoy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
andersb wrote: The catch is paying for Amazon Prime in Canada (lots of things that you don't get compared to the USA).
While it's no where near as good, it's leaps and bounds ahead of what it used to be.
I pay for Prime in both countries and I get quite a lot of use out of my Canadian one.
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: While it's no where near as good, it's leaps and bounds ahead of what it used to be.
I pay for Prime in both countries and I get quite a lot of use out of my Canadian one.
Out of curiosity what did they improve? (CA version) I know about the picture storage/drive space...but that's all I'm aware.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Cas77 wrote: Out of curiosity what did they improve? (CA version) I know about the picture storage/drive space...but that's all I'm aware.
On that front? Nothing. I wasn't even aware that picture storage was in Canada.
I was referring to items available with Prime shipping.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
You can also delete your credit card from your payment options and it won't auto-renew whether you have the trial or one year membership.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
HotYaris wrote: You can also delete your credit card from your payment options and it won't auto-renew whether you have the trial or one year membership.
Why do you need to do that? There are settings for prime membership. Just flip the switch to not renew. Then it tells you the date it expires and that it won't renew.

As mentioned above you can do that now. You don't have to remember to use it. By deleting the payment information it creates more hassle to make purchases.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
death_hawk wrote: I pay for Prime in both countries and I get quite a lot of use out of my Canadian one.
Do you get free shipping to a Canadian address with your American Prime? Seems unlikely, just asking...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
makaturing wrote: Do you get free shipping to a Canadian address with your American Prime? Seems unlikely, just asking...
Nope, but I ship enough stuff in the US that US Prime is worth it. Not to mention I can just VPN in and get the other benefits of American Prime (eg TV)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)