Amazon Prime Music launching today in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2017 4:16 pm
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2003
5058 posts
740 upvotes
GVR
Prime Video seems to be lacking in content (from my Prime membership). I'm not going to expect much from Prime Music.
Nov 21, 2017
57 posts
14 upvotes
JTG2000 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:47 am
I had a look and it's nice for being included with Prime. But with a catalog of 2M tracks (vs 40M-ish of premium services), it's lacking.

Case in point: They have three Pink Floyd albums (Dark Side of the Moon, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle).

Google Music has 28 Pink Floyd albums.

Keep in mind that Amazon does have Amazon Unlimited as a premium service with a more competitive catalog.

I'm sure if you want to hear current pop songs, Prime Music has you covered.
Suprisingly, even many pop hits are missing or are found as a cover from some unknown beatnik.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
10624 posts
122 upvotes
Ottawa
chatbox wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:49 am
Prime Video seems to be lacking in content (from my Prime membership). I'm not going to expect much from Prime Music.
Yes, I usually use my US Prime account for Video, and used to for Music before they made it too complicated. Now that the US has a free and paid version of Amazon Music, it's gone downhill - and seems like we have the "lite" version up here.
- Absolute
Oct 2, 2011
864 posts
222 upvotes
Edmonton
They really should just call the whole thing Amazon Prime Light because, as with everything else in Canada, it just isn't as good as the US version.
Nov 21, 2017
57 posts
14 upvotes
wetcardboard wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:51 am
They really should just call the whole thing Amazon Prime Light because, as with everything else in Canada, it just isn't as good as the US version.
The US version of prime music isn't very good to begin with
Mar 22, 2005
66 posts
43 upvotes
When I'm at home I use Spotify via the web interface which gives me a good user experience. However, when out and about and using Spotify on mobile I've been pretty frustrated recently with the ads (which seem to occur more often than the 30 minutes they claim) and lack of any type of seeming control (large playlists will sometimes not play any songs from the playlist and start playing suggested songs ad nauseam).

So, despite, Amazon Prime Music's limited selection I've been more than happy to use it as my on-the-go-ad-free-play-what-you-want-mobile-music-streaming-app (and I've found enough content there to keep me happy for the time being). Of course depending on your usage pattern and available tracks YMMV.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12533 posts
4053 upvotes
Oakville
thelasthunter wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:50 am
Suprisingly, even many pop hits are missing or are found as a cover from some unknown beatnik.
Not really a surprise. If you could get the latest and greatest pop music, why get the premium service?

I noticed this was available the other day, thought it might be a good solution for the wife over something like Google Music or Spotify (since we already have Prime)... But specifically the lack of big pop stars made this a no go.
Public Mobile
Feb 25, 2009
362 posts
89 upvotes
Just played around with it. Very limited playlist. Barely any electric music.. more like electric pop only. But thanks OP for posting as I didn't get an email from Amazon even though I am Prime member.
Nov 21, 2017
57 posts
14 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 10:56 am
Not really a surprise. If you could get the latest and greatest pop music, why get the premium service?

I noticed this was available the other day, thought it might be a good solution for the wife over something like Google Music or Spotify (since we already have Prime)... But specifically the lack of big pop stars made this a no go.
True. But they've gutted the service so much theyre actually giving Prime as a whole negative press. Not what they were going for I'm sure. As a whole prime music has been a major flop, but there's always that potential to expand and Amazon can basically do so overnight.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2008
1270 posts
107 upvotes
Vaughan, Ontario
Does it work with Chromecast? I saw the icon earlier, and it disappeared later.
Jul 31, 2015
214 posts
66 upvotes
AB
- nnot loving the ios app, kinda clunky..

- Wish amazon would get off their butt and release the prime video and music apps on the Apple TV already

- also wish my amazon fire tv's that I bough in the states and run here would work with their services, but forever a 5505 error since the device thinks its "abroad"..
Oct 23, 2017
55 posts
12 upvotes
Burlington ON
U4LIFE wrote:
Nov 28th, 2017 11:43 am
- nnot loving the ios app, kinda clunky..

- Wish amazon would get off their butt and release the prime video and music apps on the Apple TV already

- also wish my amazon fire tv's that I bough in the states and run here would work with their services, but forever a 5505 error since the device thinks its "abroad"..
The video app came on my Apple TV today, and it works fine with Prime TV. I don't know how the content compares to the US version, but I don't think I'll be watching the Beverly Hillbillies.