• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 4:22 pm
[OP]
Nov 12, 2012
494 posts
204 upvotes
Port Moody

Amazon Prime - Repeatedly Shipping Nationally via Canada Post Expedited

I know there are a lot of Amazon Prime shipping posts here. This one is meant to be more geared towards RFDers in BC or AB who have Prime and have Prime orders sourced from ON (or perhaps in the rare occasions where ON dwellers have something shipped from BC).

For the 3rd time in two months, I've had a Prime order (either 1-day or 2-day guaranteed delivery) shipped Canada Post Expedited from ON to BC. Canada Post Expedited has a national delivery timeframe of up to 7 days. Typically between ON and BC, it's 3-5 business days from the date of shipment. Obviously, that's not going to meet a 2-day Prime shipping guarantee - let alone the 1-day! So the question is, why is this now a recurring issue for me? Has anyone else noticed this happening? And if so, for how long?

In the past, at least in my experience, my Prime orders have always been shipped Purolator (or via another courier) and met the delivery guarantee date. On rare occasions, there have been carrier delays - but obviously not something that Amazon can do anything about, so no biggie. But something has changed over at Amazon...

Is Amazon cheaping out and using Canada Post more often now for Prime orders, in order to avoid the couriers and cut costs (due to the increased popularity of Prime)? Or is there truly something wrong with their shipping system selecting the incorrect shipping method (perhaps due to recent system changes or changes in how they fulfill orders or warehouse selection)?

I contacted customer service via Chat and Phone to see what I could uncover. An hour later: nothing. First, the reps all blame the carrier for the "late" package. BS. Even after I explain to them that it's impossible for the package to reach me in 2 days with expedited parcel service with Canada Post, they still tell me to contact the carrier. How does calling the carrier help? Or they told me to call Amazon back on Monday. Why? What difference does a day make when the package has still not arrived within the 2-day guaranteed date?

These customer service agents are useless these days. Even a year ago I was able to get people who could communicate effectively, answer the question I asked (or at least admit they don't know the answer to it - which is totally fine). They were helpful! They were apologetic! They were generous (refunds, larger credits to your account). Today, questions are ignored! Chats are ended prematurely even when the communication is professional and pleasant! Fingers are pointed and no responsibility is taken for Amazon's mistakes! A measly $5 credit or month of Prime is offered to make you go away.

So my quest today was to get some answers about shipping method selection. An answer that nobody had - even a chat Manager and an over-the-phone supervisor. The best I could do is have the chat manager internally send these questions to the shipping dept via email, and they'll email me back:

1. Expedited shipping with Canada Post Nationally can take up to 7 business days. The service delivery standard with Canada Post for Expedited from ON to BC is 3-5 business days. Clearly this does not meet the 2-day guarantee you promise. So why is the Canada Post Expedited method repeatedly selected to ship my Prime orders from ON to BC?

2. How does the shipping selection work in the warehouse? Does staff manually decide the shipping method - or is it an algorithm the home delivery system uses (with the product, warehouse, shipping address, and guaranteed delivery time all used as criteria)?

3. Who takes responsibility when the wrong shipping method is used? The Customer Service staff have no information and no control over what shipping method is selected. The shipping department cannot be contacted by customers directly, so there cannot be any discussion about the wrong shipping method repeatedly being used. Is there someone I can speak with about improving your shipping method selection - to ensure as a Prime member, my future Prime 1-2 day guaranteed shipments from ON to me in BC will be shipped CP Priority or via Courier?

Yeah, it's probably a waste of time, but it will at least be entertaining to see what their response is...
18 replies
Apr 29, 2018
65 posts
85 upvotes
ON
This happened to me a few times too. Amazon support is garbage these days; in the past they'd give some courtesy credits or extend your prime sub by a bit even for a short delay. Now they tell you to pound sand unless you get very lucky.
Not sure what the point of prime shipping is anymore, not to mention the site is flooded with fake reviews and no name crap.
Don't forget to like and subscribe
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1495 posts
647 upvotes
London
u can try contacting jeff@amazon.com that will get u in touch with the executive c/s dept although they probably wont do nothing either or will tell u they will look into it and nothing will happen. but that's the highest u can go.
Aug 29, 2017
35 posts
18 upvotes
I'm in BC and my Prime orders generally take a week to get here. They are shipped by Canada Post about 80% of the time. On the rare occasion they have come in 1-2 days but it's almost always a week. I had one "in time for Christmas" present (a late gift idea from someone) that was shipped with Canada Post and arrived on January 3rd.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
I believe Amazon awares this problem but cannot do anything. Unless Amazon sets up a fulfillment center in your province and then have its own courier to deliver, then Amazon has the control over the delivery time. I believe the selection of courier is handled by computer automatically, so there is nothing the shipping department can do anything either. With the number of orders increasing every day, but there is no expansion from the fulfillment center and delivery team, you can expect that both are starting overloaded.

By the way, my experience tells me that if your item is coming from the remote fulfillment center, the system normally will start the shipment process immediately even you are not prime. However, if the item resides on the local fulfillment center, then the shipment process won't start until almost the last expected delivery date if you are not prime.

Regarding the customer service, I agree that CSRs in the past are more professional to handle problem precisely and quickly. I remember I only spent 5 to 10 minutes chat to solve each problem. Now, at least I need to spend 10 to 15 minutes to solve a basic problem. Of course, the compensation is way better in the past, but this may blame other customers abusing the system, so Amazon tightens the compensation
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11758 posts
11373 upvotes
Oakville
Why not cancel your Prime membership if it doesn't get you anything.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1495 posts
647 upvotes
London
lcmt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 5:55 pm
I believe Amazon awares this problem but cannot do anything. Unless Amazon sets up a fulfillment center in your province and then have its own courier to deliver, then Amazon has the control over the delivery time. I believe the selection of courier is handled by computer automatically, so there is nothing the shipping department can do anything either. With the number of orders increasing every day, but there is no expansion from the fulfillment center and delivery team, you can expect that both are starting overloaded.

By the way, my experience tells me that if your item is coming from the remote fulfillment center, the system normally will start the shipment process immediately even you are not prime. However, if the item resides on the local fulfillment center, then the shipment process won't start until almost the last expected delivery date if you are not prime.

Regarding the customer service, I agree that CSRs in the past are more professional to handle problem precisely and quickly. I remember I only spent 5 to 10 minutes chat to solve each problem. Now, at least I need to spend 10 to 15 minutes to solve a basic problem. Of course, the compensation is way better in the past, but this may blame other customers abusing the system, so Amazon tightens the compensation
sure they can. just ship the item via ups fedex or purolator express package will get there in 1 day almost anywhere in canada. amazon just choose to use cheaper shipping options with they know full well wont make it there fast enough.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
Yes, if you are the only one, then the system will pick the best courier for you. Unfortunately, there is a limit Fedex and Purolator can take every day from Amazon. Once the limit has reached, the system will automatically choose the next best Courier. I believe CP is the last option.
aaron158 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:52 pm
sure they can. just ship the item via ups fedex or purolator express package will get there in 1 day almost anywhere in canada. amazon just choose to use cheaper shipping options with they know full well wont make it there fast enough.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1279 posts
835 upvotes
fusion52 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 4:49 pm
This happened to me a few times too. Amazon support is garbage these days; in the past they'd give some courtesy credits or extend your prime sub by a bit even for a short delay. Now they tell you to pound sand unless you get very lucky.
Not sure what the point of prime shipping is anymore, not to mention the site is flooded with fake reviews and no name crap.
2 of my items haven't been delivered this week by the gairanteed time and I got 2 months prime. I just said I want a free month by package is late this is unacceptable. done.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1495 posts
647 upvotes
London
lcmt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 9:56 pm
Yes, if you are the only one, then the system will pick the best courier for you. Unfortunately, there is a limit Fedex and Purolator can take every day from Amazon. Once the limit has reached, the system will automatically choose the next best Courier. I believe CP is the last option.
well they amazon should get rid of prime if the cant meet the delivery times they advertise. then just go back to having free shipping with no guarantee on when u will get something. or if u must have something right away have u pick and pay the amount for the carrier and shipping speed of your choice then people wouldn't have any reason to complain.
Last edited by aaron158 on Jan 12th, 2019 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
5195 posts
5740 upvotes
I absolutely agree because compensation is pointless when a customer really needs the item on a specific day.
aaron158 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:07 pm
well they amazon should get rip of prime if the cant meet the delivery times they advertise. then just go back to having free shipping with no guarantee on when u will get something. or if u must have something right away have u pick and pay the amount for the carrier and shipping speed of your choice then people wouldn't have any reason to complain.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1495 posts
647 upvotes
London
lcmt wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 10:09 pm
I absolutely agree because compensation is pointless when a customer really needs the item on a specific day.
to me when they came out with prime it just became a bottleneck in there system. before prime came out living in London i use to get stuff next day even with the free shipping. u ordered something in the morning it would ship out in the afternoon and ud get it next day. prime came out then they would sit on your package some times as many as 5 days saying shipping soon before handing it over to the shipping company. prime is just extortion so they amazon wont hold ur package hostage for a week and then they still pick the most cost effective method of shipping for them even when the know full well it wont come in 2 days if u don't live close enough.

both best buy and walmart without coming out with one of there own primey services u can 90% of the time still order something from them and if u order it early enough in morning it will ship same day 90% of the time. its unfortunate walmart hasn't expanded there online selection to beat amazons offering in fact since they started there stupid market place selling they have cut back on stuff selling directly by walmart them self quite a bit.
May 22, 2015
805 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
You can ask the CSR to deprioritize CP as your delivery agent, but tbh it seems like there's so much volume right now that the couriers can't keep up. Each courier takes x number of shipments per day, everything else goes to CP. CP uses the same planes as Purolator so they should be the same speed, within a day. Maybe they're all still saturated?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1495 posts
647 upvotes
London
mikebc wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:27 am
You can ask the CSR to deprioritize CP as your delivery agent, but tbh it seems like there's so much volume right now that the couriers can't keep up. Each courier takes x number of shipments per day, everything else goes to CP. CP uses the same planes as Purolator so they should be the same speed, within a day. Maybe they're all still saturated?
Expedited parcel packages i don't believe go by air the travel by ground. mostly either using trains or trucks. xpresspost or priority stuff would be done by air.