Shopping Discussion

Amazon Prime/Twitch Prime coming changes

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2018 7:29 pm
Feb 2, 2017
560 posts
746 upvotes

Amazon Prime/Twitch Prime coming changes

For those thinking of getting Amazon or Twitch Prime, there are some important changes coming that may change your mind.

1) Last year, Amazon reduced preorders from 20% to 10% discount. This year, they are removing it completely after Aug 28. All preorders placed before Aug 28 will still be eligible for the 10% discount.
2) Ad free viewing with Twitch Prime is being removed.

I am not going to renew my Amazon Prime next year with these changes.
When we launched Twitch Prime we were determined to give streamers and their viewers the best value in gaming. And since then we’ve seen the Twitch community take advantage of Twitch Prime perks like monthly channel subscriptions to support favorite streamers, Free Games with Prime, and in-game loot for games like Fortnite, PUBG, Hearthstone, and more. On top of everything you get through Amazon Prime, this year alone we’ve offered members more than $1,000 worth of games and loot.

As we have continued to add value to Twitch Prime, we have also re-evaluated some of the existing Prime benefits. As a result, we are announcing two changes.

First, universal ad-free viewing will no longer be part of Twitch Prime for new members, starting on September 14. Members with monthly subscriptions will continue to get ad-free viewing until October 15. If you already have an annual subscription, or if you upgrade to an annual subscription before September 14, you will continue with ad-free viewing until your next renewal date.

Advertising is an important source of support for the creators who make Twitch possible. This change will strengthen and expand that advertising opportunity for creators so they can get more support from their viewers for doing what they love. You can read more details on this change in our recent blog post.

Second, beginning on August 28th, 2018, Prime members will no longer receive a 10% discount on physical video game pre-orders. All eligible pre-orders placed before August 28th, will still receive the 10% discount under the existing benefit once the game is released. For more on this update, click right here.

All other Twitch Prime benefits, like monthly channel subs, monthly games and loot, and chat badges are not changing. You can still get channel-specific ad-free viewing as part of Twitch Prime by using your monthly subscription token on a channel that has ad-free viewing for subscribers turned on. Plus, all Twitch viewers can get ad-free viewing across all channels by subscribing to Twitch Turbo. And with your Twitch Prime membership you can still take advantage of all the other Amazon Prime benefits, like free two-day shipping and access to Prime Video and Prime Music*.

Thank you for being a Twitch Prime member. We look forward to bringing you even more amazing loot, games, and benefits over the coming year.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2017
1403 posts
3723 upvotes
New Brunswick
What complete garb lol

Their whole goal is to get more subscribers, right? I don't see how taking stuff away helps.
Jun 6, 2018
347 posts
455 upvotes
Its good news for other retailers I guess, if not saving any money with Amazon I will buy else where
Jul 28, 2010
903 posts
586 upvotes
I already cancelled my Prime sub when the discount was dropped from 20% to 10% without warning (even managed to get a refund). With E3 deals being a complete joke compared to what we had 4-6 years ago, I think I'll just stop getting games day 1 and wait for more discounts or go though my backlog.
Feb 2, 2017
560 posts
746 upvotes
Jotamide wrote: I already cancelled my Prime sub when the discount was dropped from 20% to 10% without warning (even managed to get a refund). With E3 deals being a complete joke compared to what we had 4-6 years ago, I think I'll just stop getting games day 1 and wait for more discounts or go though my backlog.
The Walmart deals were good if you got them. I got like 8 games from that deal. Other than RDR2, I'm set for the next year+. I don't game much anyway, and already have a console backlog.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2013
1488 posts
2560 upvotes
Saint John
I cancelled my prime this month and switched to Walmart. It's a good decision.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
2663 posts
854 upvotes
Chatham
So is Twitch Prime still giving out the free games each month? or is that somehow leaving also.
Dec 11, 2015
8 posts
12 upvotes
AB
Prime (especially prime Canada with the switch from 20% -> 10%) has been going downhill for years now. It was never as good as US to begin with. The only reason I paid for it until now was because of the student discount, but I think I'll end up cancelling next year when it comes time to renew.
Oct 19, 2006
116 posts
430 upvotes
Just an evolution of Amazon's philosophy. Burn share holder cash by discounting items until you become the market leader in that segment..... then get rid of the promo's once everyone has surrendered and make all the money for yourself. They are gonna crush every industry one at a time.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 24, 2009
6578 posts
9073 upvotes
Amazon.ca can't increase the price for the Prime membership as I don't think Amazon Canada has many Prime members compare with US. Since they can't increase the price but the cost increases, the only thing they can do is removing the benefits from the membership.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12251 posts
3582 upvotes
No biggie, got all my preorders for $50 through Walmart this year.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2798 posts
1641 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

With games so expensive new, I hardly preorder anyway (not unless there's an additional discount). But still not happy with the change.
Amazon sucks with pre-orders, too.. rarely get them on release day.
Twitch.. meh. I really don't see the appeal in watching people play video games... I'd rather play them myself. The free monthly games are the main thing I get out of that (not that I've played any of the freebies yet..)
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2007
1566 posts
1534 upvotes
My Prime is up at the end of September and it's already pre-cancelled. They also took away ad-free twitch streaming as well. If all you want is free shipping it's not hard to spend $35. If I'm shopping and my order is under that I just add something I need anyway. They have everything.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
7810 posts
3862 upvotes
Germany
Still worth it for unlimited RAW photo storage, Prime Video, Prime Music, Audible discounts and free 2-day shipping. It sucks losing the pre-order discounts, but that was icing on the cake.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7800 posts
1611 upvotes
Toronto
Prime is not just about video games.

Sure we lost the 20% and now 10%. But with so many other deals on other items, I am not cancelling.

I frequently buy stuff from Amazon several times a week and it saves so much time and money in terms of gas, save and subscribe items, lightning deals etc far outweighs it.
Aug 20, 2018
4 posts
Amazon being Amazon and slowly taking away benefits.
I'm not a big Twitch Prime user but still stream here and there and don't want to sit through ads just because I want to watch a different stream.
On the other hand, I'm too deep in Amazon ecosystem to cancel Prime all together though.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
3259 posts
3285 upvotes
Honestly this is a huge piss off. The discount on pre-orders for games was the main reason I still bought games at launch! Suppose I'll now just wait for them to discount to that price on their own as time passes...
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
6103 posts
6790 upvotes
Caledonia, ON
I will be cancelling my prime when the subscription runs out this year. I've not been ordering much from Amazon lately anyways. Oh well, more of my money in my pocket and less of it in theirs.
Jun 25, 2018
27 posts
1 upvote
msashs wrote: Amazon being Amazon and slowly taking away benefits.
I'm not a big Twitch Prime user but still stream here and there and don't want to sit through ads just because I want to watch a different stream.
On the other hand, I'm too deep in Amazon ecosystem to cancel Prime all together though.
I would say it is Canada being Canada more than Amazon being Amazon no?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)