Amazon prime video now available in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2017 6:27 am
Nov 18, 2015
575 posts
153 upvotes
deeznuts wrote:
Jan 17th, 2017 10:22 am
I'd say the user experience is better with Netflix/Crackle/Amazon (click on something, and it plays), but once you get a good quality stream going on Kodi, I find the quality to be damn good. But if I had to choose between watching a Netflix stream and a Kodi stream, I'm going to go Netflix 10/10. But I'm glad Kodi add-ons exist to keep pressure on the "legit" providers to bolster their content. Isn't that how Netflix originally chose their content, back in the day (they basically looked at the top torrented showed, and put them on their service).
live sports is even worse. any stream I find just konk out of eventually stutters. 9/10. I have cebterice legit and I wouldn't have it any other way. you get what you pay for. or don't lol. I know there is paid IPTV but in the end going with real Netflix and NHL are no brainers. still kodi for TV shows/movies is great. find good addons and you get HD.
Jan 8, 2008
135 posts
41 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 24th, 2017 11:23 pm
No, not at all. It doesn't matter what country you have Prime in. If you're physically in the US or tricking it to look like you're in the US (ie. VPN/DNS) then you'll see US content.
That's why you can even sign up for Prime trials at Amazon India or Amazon Germany or any numerous Amazon sites and access Canadian (or US with a VPN/DNS) content through Prime Video.
I found that it was hit and miss depending on the device. I suspect that it has something to do with how current the Amazon App is on each... I was hoping to cancel my US prime and sign up for a Canadian one as it is a lot cheaper, but I found only half of my devices could see and play US content...
Oct 19, 2015
3 posts
Kentville, NS
Ya, my xb1 app also updated. I have Canadian Prime, but I had downloaded the U.S. app. Man in the High Castle still works.

I'm also curious if there's an updated Canadian version of the app, where I could actually figure out which content I have access to Grinning Face
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8030 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Halifreaks wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 8:44 pm
Ya, my xb1 app also updated. I have Canadian Prime, but I had downloaded the U.S. app. Man in the High Castle still works.
Man in the high castle might be a bad one to test with. I don't think Amazon owned properties are region locked at all.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2001
7057 posts
415 upvotes
Oakville
belowzeros wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 12:19 am
Man in the high castle might be a bad one to test with. I don't think Amazon owned properties are region locked at all.
There were issues with season 2 being available.

I checked to see if MitHC season 2 worked and it does. The XB1 app now tells you if the video is available in your region, which is a little better but tbh I'd rather it filtered all content I don't have access to. That Giovanni Ribisi show (name escapes me) is odd though, episode 1 isn't available, but the rest of the season is? I'm not using a VPN/DNS.

Anyways the interface seems better and the video player has its own controls rather than piggybacking off of the XB1 video player (which I hated). I'm just glad its a minor improvement rather than an attempt to lock Canadians out.
Heatware: canadianpsycho - 200-0-0 http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=249
PS34Wii360ne Owner.
Mar 31, 2008
269 posts
51 upvotes
Oakville
jfmartel wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 9:06 am
I hope they added the option to get content in another language. French is available on their Android app but only english on the xbox.
This is the "US" app. There still is no app for Canada.....
Apr 19, 2016
15 posts
2 upvotes
how do i watch on my tv? No cast button to my nexus player or old fire tv stick????
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2872 posts
698 upvotes
QC
horton213 wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 11:01 am
how do i watch on my tv? No cast button to my nexus player or old fire tv stick????
either Google chrome from a computer or cast your whole phone to your tv
Nov 9, 2011
894 posts
171 upvotes
Winnipeg
My 30 day free trial Amazon prime was up this past few days.
Tried this and couldn't be bothered to try it again.
The prime was good for free shipping during the holidays, either then that I'm done...Ok Hand Sign
Le_arned to Churn now I use it as my hanrness.
Buy low sell high, always make a way to get what you want!💪😁👌
Nov 24, 2008
259 posts
21 upvotes
London
I would probably be willing to pay $40ish but ya I dont feel amazon prime is currently worth the $79 being asked the free shipping is great and all but really what's a couple extra days.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14685 posts
18292 upvotes
ONTARIO
lsafrany wrote:
Jan 25th, 2017 1:55 pm
I found that it was hit and miss depending on the device. I suspect that it has something to do with how current the Amazon App is on each... I was hoping to cancel my US prime and sign up for a Canadian one as it is a lot cheaper, but I found only half of my devices could see and play US content...
It definitely is hit or miss depending on device.

On my Shield gen 1 (before the newest firmware update), you could sideload a version of Amazon Video that was meant for Sony Android TVs. It worked on the Shield and as long as you used a DNS, you could access all the US content. The only downside was that you were limited to 1080p.

However now that the Shield has it's own Amazon Video app, you can no longer access US content, even with a DNS it seems. Or at least I have not figured out a way yet.

Edit: So I reinstalled the Sony TV Amazon Video APK on my Shield (it installs alongside the Shield's version) and while it is limited to 1080p, it does let me see and access all the US-only shows.
This just proves that it's the app itself that is the issue.
Oct 7, 2006
4 posts
1 upvote
just got the dreaded proxy error on netflix today using this. Oh well....was a good week.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26176 posts
6053 upvotes
GTHA
swales wrote:
Jan 18th, 2017 11:47 am
This is one thing I don't understand, why are Amazon Original shows geoblocked? Did they sell the rights to Bosch and Sneaky Pete for example to Bell or Rogers? The fact that there is very little content to begin with and now blocking their own content makes it so I won't be signing up with them.
Sneaky Pete is available in Canada according to newt_101
sneaky-pete-amazon-con-man-series-produ ... #p27405263