• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2017 4:45 pm
Jan 11, 2009
371 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
dogger99 wrote:
Dec 14th, 2016 8:28 pm
Trying using my amazon fire tv box and keep getting error 5505 anyone else?
I have managed to partially fix this issue - let me know if your still have issues with this error
Nov 18, 2012
8 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
xseanx wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 9:01 pm
I have managed to partially fix this issue - let me know if your still have issues with this error
I am having issues still. Would appreciate your feedback on your partial fix.

Thanks
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2008
13043 posts
3956 upvotes
Gatineau
Oneplus 2
- Sim 1: $49/month - Rogers Quebec - 10GB/Canada-wide Calling/text/Call Display/Enhanced Voicemail/Call Waiting/Call Forwarding ($70 - 30% Corp Discount)
- Sim 2: $7.50/month - Fido - 3GB Data-only plan ($15 - 50% for 12 months)
Oct 5, 2009
639 posts
39 upvotes
Regina
Shiftup wrote:
Jan 30th, 2017 12:35 am
I know, its asking to link the new amazon app to amazon.com weblink and to enter in a code, etc.

May I ask you share the Sony TV Amazon apk again please - - thank you
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 4:38 pm
It definitely is hit or miss depending on device.

On my Shield gen 1 (before the newest firmware update), you could sideload a version of Amazon Video that was meant for Sony Android TVs. It worked on the Shield and as long as you used a DNS, you could access all the US content. The only downside was that you were limited to 1080p.

However now that the Shield has it's own Amazon Video app, you can no longer access US content, even with a DNS it seems. Or at least I have not figured out a way yet.

Edit: So I reinstalled the Sony TV Amazon Video APK on my Shield (it installs alongside the Shield's version) and while it is limited to 1080p, it does let me see and access all the US-only shows.
This just proves that it's the app itself that is the issue.
Thanks again for the sony amazon apk
I installed it, but it asks to go to www.amazon.com/mytv and use a code to link my device....

Is this what you had to do as well?
Can you post your exact steps after intalling the APK, just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly so that I can access USA amazon content.
thanks
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14567 posts
17550 upvotes
ONTARIO
Shiftup wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 9:17 pm
Thanks again for the sony amazon apk
I installed it, but it asks to go to www.amazon.com/mytv and use a code to link my device....

Is this what you had to do as well?
Can you post your exact steps after intalling the APK, just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly so that I can access USA amazon content.
thanks
Just do exactly what it says to do. It's a simple process.

Install APK
Open Amazon Video
Sign in (or link device whatever it says)
Go to amazon.com/mytv and log in using your Amazon.ca credentials
Input the code that is on your TV screen and link it
Done

As long as you're using a smart dns/vpn you will be able to access all the US content on the app.
Oct 5, 2009
639 posts
39 upvotes
Regina
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:42 pm
Just do exactly what it says to do. It's a simple process.

Install APK
Open Amazon Video
Done

As long as you're using a smart dns/vpn you will be able to access all the US content on the app.
Thank you
Thats exactly what I tried, and I am only getting CAD content for some reason. This is on 5.01
On my orginal shield tv, the sony apk works perfect, but is pre android 7.0 updates.

I do have two account (same email addy) for both Canadian and USA amazon. I am paid for amazon prime in Canada only.

I do have 2 vpns, and 2 seperate dns vendors of which I tried on my laptop and cannot get Primevideo.com with USA content.
something is up for sure....now just have to figure it out

any other suggestions?
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14567 posts
17550 upvotes
ONTARIO
Shiftup wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 11:05 pm
Thank you
Thats exactly what I tried, and I am only getting CAD content for some reason. This is on 5.01
On my orginal shield tv, the sony apk works perfect, but is pre android 7.0 updates.

I do have two account (same email addy) for both Canadian and USA amazon. I am paid for amazon prime in Canada only.

I do have 2 vpns, and 2 seperate dns vendors of which I tried on my laptop and cannot get Primevideo.com with USA content.
something is up for sure....now just have to figure it out

any other suggestions?
That's strange. Not sure what to make of it. Do you have the new Amazon Prime app on the Shield installed as well as the Sony one?

I made a quick little video showing how it is on my Shield (original Shield gen 1 updated to latest update).

First I show how my DNS is set up on my Shield (I'm using Uno Telly DNS).
Then I open the Sony TV Amazon Prime app that shows all the US content.
Then I show in comparison the Nvidia Shield Amazon Prime app that shows practically nothing despite using the Uno Telly DNS.

Is this how yours is set up?

Oct 5, 2009
639 posts
39 upvotes
Regina
I figured it out
Thank you very much. I had a DNS leak, I went to dnsleak.com and passed the 1st test, but failed the 2nd test.

I have my dns settings on my asus router. I restarted the router, cleared cache on chrome and boom - - back in business.

It was making sense to me either, so I contacted support of my DNS vendor, and they suggested dns leak.

thanks again!
Nov 18, 2012
8 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 11:29 pm
That's strange. Not sure what to make of it. Do you have the new Amazon Prime app on the Shield installed as well as the Sony one?

I made a quick little video showing how it is on my Shield (original Shield gen 1 updated to latest update).

First I show how my DNS is set up on my Shield (I'm using Uno Telly DNS).
Then I open the Sony TV Amazon Prime app that shows all the US content.
Then I show in comparison the Nvidia Shield Amazon Prime app that shows practically nothing despite using the Uno Telly DNS.

Is this how yours is set up?

I tried this method on an Amazon Fire TV 2 and I am still getting an error message. Not error 5505 just that the video cannot be played at this time. Was hoping this as going to work. Using SmartDNS.
Jan 11, 2009
371 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
robwilliams25 wrote:
Jan 31st, 2017 10:13 am
I am having issues still. Would appreciate your feedback on your partial fix.

Thanks
Easiest way to fix the 5505 error is delete the amazon VOD App (Apk) which then gets reset to the original app which works fine.
if you have a fire TV or any other android device install ES file explore. Once open click the App folder on the home screen and delete the Amazon VOD app - you may have to re-register the device.
I have a first gen fire TV and this does the trick. The only problem is that every 24-48 hours amazon will automatically update the app and you have to do it again.
this literally take 15 seconds to do so its not a big deal right now but it can get annoying.
if you device is rooted etc you can permanently disable updates
In order to stop updates you need to disable certain domains which can only be done with openDNS - but then you loose your smart dns capabilities if your using one.
i have a couple other ideas in order to block updates and will have some time to test them out this weekend.
Aug 21, 2011
32 posts
BC
I have also been trying to get amazon prime canadian or us to work on my MI BOX 4K. I have tried all of the suggested apps and have not been successful. I am only subscribed to CDN prime. Using the VPN and app listed on XDA did not work for me.

Also tried the recent suggested app for sony tv. I do get further able to login and see the content but it won't play (app crashes). Using the DNS it does list the US content but won't get the pay option.

Tested via the following:
Install APK
Open Amazon Video

If anyone has any suggestion let me know.

Thanks,
Aug 21, 2016
34 posts
5 upvotes
Has there been any official word on why shows other than Grand Tour don't have 4k HDR availability to Canadians?
Dec 9, 2012
29 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks for your excellent tutorial with the video.

I tried with the mibox and the app crashed ,cant play. Maybe mibox problem ?

Another rfder with the same situation . Maybe you have an idea. Thanks

"

I have also been trying to get amazon prime canadian or us to work on my MI BOX 4K. I have tried all of the suggested apps and have not been successful. I am only subscribed to CDN prime. Using the VPN and app listed on XDA did not work for me.

Also tried the recent suggested app for sony tv. I do get further able to login and see the content but it won't play (app crashes). Using the DNS it does list the US content but won't get the pay option.

Tested via the following:
Install APK
Open Amazon Video

If anyone has any suggestion let me know.

Thanks,
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
22046 posts
4467 upvotes
GTHA
Amazon has announced in an emailed statement to iPhone in Canada the new original series that are coming to Canadian viewers in March:

Hand of God Season 2 (March 10)
Red Oaks Season 2 (March 10)
One Mississippi (March 17)
Crisis in Six Scenes (March 24)
Good Girls Revolt (March 31)
You Are Wanted (March 17)

Crisis in Six Scenes is Woody Allen’s first-ever TV series, and will be available on March 24. You Are Wanted is the first German series, while One Mississippi was produced by and based on comedian Tig Notaro’s life. These new series coming in March will be available to Canadian viewers, and 200 other Prime countries and territories.

Amazon also noted Transparent and Mozart in the Jungle, Fleabag, Goliath and Z: The Beginning of Everything, were just added to Amazon Prime Video.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel