Entertainment

Amazon prime video now available in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 9:27 am
Apr 10, 2012
708 posts
265 upvotes
Does Amazon Prime Video work on those Android Boxes? I think I have to resort to using one of those since there's no Chromecast support / Vizio app in Canada. Anyone have any input?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3933 posts
580 upvotes
Kingston
BobSagget wrote:
Jan 26th, 2017 4:38 pm
It definitely is hit or miss depending on device.

On my Shield gen 1 (before the newest firmware update), you could sideload a version of Amazon Video that was meant for Sony Android TVs. It worked on the Shield and as long as you used a DNS, you could access all the US content. The only downside was that you were limited to 1080p.

However now that the Shield has it's own Amazon Video app, you can no longer access US content, even with a DNS it seems. Or at least I have not figured out a way yet.

Edit: So I reinstalled the Sony TV Amazon Video APK on my Shield (it installs alongside the Shield's version) and while it is limited to 1080p, it does let me see and access all the US-only shows.
This just proves that it's the app itself that is the issue.
Did you ever get usa amazon shows working on your shield with the default app?
I just tried bosch and it worked for me.
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14800 posts
18651 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 7:09 pm
Did you ever get usa amazon shows w
Haven't botheredorking on your shield with the default app?
I just tried bosch and it worked for me.
I haven't bothered with the default version for a while, but I just opened it up and I do see Bosch season 1. However everything is still the same otherwise. Like 4 shows in total, a complete joke of a movie selection (nothing but bollywood - not even the movies you can see through Primevideo.com).
I stick to the Sony android TV version since I can actually access waaaay more content with it.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3933 posts
580 upvotes
Kingston
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 7:20 pm
I haven't bothered with the default version for a while, but I just opened it up and I do see Bosch season 1. However everything is still the same otherwise. Like 4 shows in total, a complete joke of a movie selection (nothing but bollywood - not even the movies you can see through Primevideo.com).
I stick to the Sony android TV version since I can actually access waaaay more content with it.
Hmm your right that is really dumb. I only see Bollywood too. Bosch I get season 1 & 2 tho. That's all I looked up, didn't notice at first that it doesn't really offer much else.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3933 posts
580 upvotes
Kingston
BobSagget wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 7:20 pm
Any idea where to find the apk? Everything ive found so far the links have been removed
Deal Guru
Jan 17, 2009
14800 posts
18651 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tha DraGun wrote:
Apr 15th, 2017 12:46 pm
Any idea where to find the apk? Everything ive found so far the links have been removed
It's still in my dropbox folder, but since dropbox got rid of the public folder last month, I see the link to it (posted a month ago), no longer works.

Here, this should work:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cp7e87kv62jea ... 9.apk?dl=1

Oh ya I should mention that despite the quality being limited to 1080p in this version, you will see shows being offered in 4K (UHD). Nothing labeled as "UHD" will play properly. It will just spin and spin and say "insufficient bandwidth" or something like that. Or it will say something like update your TV's firmware blah blah.

Like if you go to Home -> Amazon Original Series, it shows a bunch shows available in UHD, and does not show the non-4K version. So it looks like you can't watch the show at all.
However if you just manually do a search for the show name instead, it takes you to the non-UHD, 1080p version.
May 11, 2013
61 posts
6 upvotes
Vancouver
i downloaded the american app to my canadian xbox, it worked for awhile but not the past month now. Anyone else having problems?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
5539 posts
266 upvotes
Calgary
any solutions for the mibox yet just tried the Sony Android TV app and it gives an error when playing anything.. crazy that this doesn't work in Canada ?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18603 posts
3705 upvotes
Thornhill
MeasureTheory wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 10:55 am

They also had Sneaky Pete and Goliath in 4K HDR at one point during the weekend, but now both seemed to have disappeared from the "Available in UHD" list. I got to see the first episode of Sneaky Pete when it was still available in UHD, and it had some of the best HDR I've seen yet.
hassanmahmood wrote:
Mar 29th, 2017 4:45 pm
Does anyone know how I can watch the Grand Tour in 4K?

I was in the middle of it and then took a break, and now I see they've added new 4K content which is fantastic - but it seems you can only watch regular HD Grand Tour episodes which really blows because I loved the HDR.

Anyone who can help with this?
Same here, I just got back from a 2 week vacation and Amazon Prime Video doesn't have any HDR content anymore, just 4K UHD. Before you would get to choose the whole season in regular HD or UHD HDR, now its only one in UHD. Its the same for both Amazon Prime Video app for my Nvidia Shield TV and Samsung KS8000.

I've noticed they've added a handful of movies and anime. List still growing, can't complain I guess.
Mar 1, 2009
12 posts
Victoria
I've emailed Amazon.ca about this Issue a few times. As well, I've Emailed Roku. Both accuse the other, of thwarting the issue.
Meantime, I spent $80 on a Cdn. ( I Live in B.C.) amazon Prime Membership/Subscription,
in order to get the Amazon Video app. & free shipping on some Items, but mostly for the Video App.
I have a Roku 4230 X, and I can't find the Amazon video on Roku, anywhere!
Can anyone help me, a naive, slightly Tech-Challenged but not ignorant, Grandma?
I also have an amazon.com Account, but never use it.
If I have to use a VPN, is there a decent FREE VPN, out there?
How do you set those up?
PLEASE help?
Thank You Everyone!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7978 posts
433 upvotes
Vancouver
Was going to try a 30 day trial USA primevideo. Is this working in Canada with VPN etc? Does it work on the Xbox etc

Thanks
Nov 14, 2003
137 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
trellaine201 wrote:
May 16th, 2017 6:56 pm
Was going to try a 30 day trial USA primevideo. Is this working in Canada with VPN etc? Does it work on the Xbox etc

Thanks
Yes. Also works with a smart DNS.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7978 posts
433 upvotes
Vancouver
Okay, thanks. Which show is on the USA version that isn't in Canada?

Thank u

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)