Entertainment

Amazon prime video now available in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 9:27 am
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21777 posts
2466 upvotes
Has anyone figured out a way to get older non-Android Sony devices to get their Amazon Video "app" to show up? I'm not talking about ones too old to have Amazon video, I'm talking about devices that would indeed have AIV in the US but don't have the app listed when you're in Canada.

For those that have these devices you'll know you have to go to a website and sign in/register to enable some online features. The Canadian website for this is rather primitive but you still need to jump through those hoops to get online services working. Out of curiosity I've tried to get the AIV app to show on some of these devices but no dice. I'm actually able to log on (with an anonymizer plug-in) to the US site and see my devices but even on there can't activate AIV. I don't have a DNS/VPN service to actually put the TV or player devices behind to try to update them as if I were "in the US".

These devices do have AIV functionality when you buy/use them in the US...there's got to be some trick to allow the app in Canada no? I'm guessing since Sony has adopted Android functionality for a few years they won't care to update things for Canada on older devices, even though we get AIV now :rolleyes:

Anyone been successful with this?
Nov 18, 2012
639 posts
221 upvotes
Longueuil
has amazon given news yet about being available on canadian roku?

Cant find anything on google
Sep 6, 2012
387 posts
117 upvotes
Vancouver
nmitrik wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 11:14 am
I recently bought 4K LG TV. Switched the region to USA and was able to install the USA amazon app. I have a Amazon Canada prime, logged in using this account (have smartdnsproxy on my router), but all the content that I was able to see without signing in disappeared and I only see the Canadian content (in my devices I have changed my region to USA before, so I'm able to buy Kindle books from the USA kindle store).
Just to check, I created another amazon.com account (diff.email) and took the USA prime membership trial. Logged out the amazon app on my TV, registered the app with my new USA prime account and voila ! I am able to watch all the USA content.
As mentioned all done with smartdns enabled on the router.
Also, to mention, after changing the region to USA on my TV, now I have 2 prime video apps installed on my TV, 1st one that defaults Canadian content when not logged in, the 2nd one that defaults the USA content when not logged in.
Hi Nmitrik,

Does that mean one can't use Cdn account to access US prime video anymore? I used to be able to stream US content via some free VPN's help but can't no longer do that?
Oct 27, 2013
682 posts
135 upvotes
Mississauga
Anyone getting 4K Amazon prime video on their Shield? Doesn't show up as 4K for me. Netflix is fine though.
[external links removed]
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2668 posts
105 upvotes
thesearchfordean wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:48 am
Anyone getting 4K Amazon prime video on their Shield? Doesn't show up as 4K for me. Netflix is fine though.
4K video works great on my Shield, also 4K HDR videos works great as well.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
5154 posts
685 upvotes
commie wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:58 am
4K video works great on my Shield, also 4K HDR videos works great as well.
What are you watching to get 4K?

I’ve tried shows like Grand Tour and only get 1080P.

Have Rogers gigabit internet so bandwidth not an issue
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
14670 posts
1119 upvotes
Toronto
Why would someone pay for this service? I don't know what exclusives they have. I didn't even subscribe to Netflix for the new shows.. I'm just binging on Star Trek and older shows like X Files, lol.

I'll pay the convenience surcharge instead of hunting for it like I use to do.

I hope they get more shows from my childhood on there. Growing Pains, Golden Girls, etc.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2005
2668 posts
105 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 12:37 am
What are you watching to get 4K?

I’ve tried shows like Grand Tour and only get 1080P.

Have Rogers gigabit internet so bandwidth not an issue
A few of the Amazon Original Series are in 4K HDR. The one's that I watched were The Man in the High Castle, and Marco Polo. There are others that are in 4K as well, like The Last Tycoon, but I tried watching 1 episode, and couldn't continue, it was a bad show.
When I play these shows through Amazon Video on my Shield, I'll see that HDR logo on the top right hand corner, and it'll display in 4K.

Check all your settings on your Receiver, TV, and Shield. Does your TV play 4k fine? If so, what about your Shield? can it play 4K on other sources other than Amazon Prime? Try using Youtube on the Shield, and play some of the 4k videos on youtube.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5138 posts
9007 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 4:45 pm
Amazon Prime Video app rolling out to Apple TV App Store
https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/06/amazon-p ... -apple-tv/

Anyone tried it out?
Yes - installed it on my Apple tv (4th gen) - worked great. Have Canadian Prime sub - I started watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and the first episode of 2nd season of Man in the High Castle...
I don't have American Prime sub but my US and Canadian Amazon logon ids are the same.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
821 upvotes
Grimsby
thesearchfordean wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 8:48 am
Amazon curates their content in really bizarre ways. Instead of the player detecting your screen resolution and streaming that to you, they just put both the 4k and non-4k versions in the video lists. Make sure you're on the one specifically tagged 4K/HDR, not the 1080p one. The Grand Tour is an example of this where its there twice.

The Prime Android TV app needs some love, it gets sync issues from time to time and has weird navigation.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)