Amazon prime video now available in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 6:01 pm
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9500 posts
3805 upvotes
Ottawa
Wrong forum but yes it is crippled. I was looking for a documentary someone on a podcast said to check out on prime just yesterday. Coudln’t find it, then i went to .com amd it was available there. Couldn’t watch it because my prime is .ca. Anyways if anyone cares about the end of my story i found the full version on youtube.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Feb 7, 2008
703 posts
214 upvotes
Kelowna
Thanks
can mods move this to Entertainment
Jan 22, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Anybody can help me out, Im getting the fire stick error code 5505, I am a prime membership and it seems even though prime is available to Canadians it seems none of my firesticks will work. Country is set correctly on my account. On a side note it seems people are using a vpn to get the amazon prime content from the US. I am currently using a VPN services for other reasons, just wondering if people added a vpn client on the firestick to change to a DNS in the US if so which application. Thanks

Update: I got openvpn to work on the firestick and connected to a USA server. Device still gives me a 5505 error when trying to play anything.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5294 posts
9119 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
ibra0078 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 9:28 pm
Anybody can help me out, Im getting the fire stick error code 5505, I am a prime membership and it seems even though prime is available to Canadians it seems none of my firesticks will work. Country is set correctly on my account. On a side note it seems people are using a vpn to get the amazon prime content from the US. I am currently using a VPN services for other reasons, just wondering if people added a vpn client on the firestick to change to a DNS in the US if so which application. Thanks
Update: I got openvpn to work on the firestick and connected to a USA server. Device still gives me a 5505 error when trying to play anything.
I think I got it working by following these steps on this site - https://github.com/sphinx02/AppStarter/ ... TV-needed) to install the amazon video app onto the fire stick ( I bought stick thru USA Target because of deal that was posted on RFD).The steps install the amazon prime video onto the home screen (I think - I tried so many other things to get it work...) So I can access amazon videos thru the app but not thru the home screen...

edit: this was the post that lead me to appstarter - anyone-know-if-amazon-fire-tv-will-work ... #p28585274
Last edited by pathfinder35 on Jan 5th, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 22, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Didnt know that the amazon video app is different then the amazon prime app that comes with the firestick. Anybody know where I can get the amazon video app. Also are you saying you are able to access content from the US with a vpn? I heard not all vpn services work.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5294 posts
9119 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
ibra0078 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 6:51 am
Didnt know that the amazon video app is different then the amazon prime app that comes with the firestick. Anybody know where I can get the amazon video app. Also are you saying you are able to access content from the US with a vpn? I heard not all vpn services work.
No I can't access USA video content, I do have a vpn/smart dns but don't have a US Prime subscription.
I tried to access the movie, Reservoir Dogs, only available on US site, thru my laptop and I can't.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4867 posts
1731 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
Parks and Recreation has been added to Prime Video Canada. It was previously available on Shomi before its demise.

Other recently added shows:

Heroes
Heroes Reborn
Elementary
Shameless (UK)
House M.D.
The Good Wife
Law and Order : Special Victims Unit
Law and Order: UK
NCIS: Los Angeles
30 Rock
Alf (childhood favorite of mine)
Jay Leno's Garage
Unsolved Mysteries (with Robert Stack)
Unsolved Mysteries (with Dennis Farina)
72 Hours
The Bill Cosby Show
US Bounty Hunters
Dark Shadows

....and some others.

Definitely, an improvement compared to a year ago.
Last edited by dealseaker101 on Jan 8th, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2012
1677 posts
170 upvotes
Vancouver
Is there any site that says what is upcoming for amazon prime canada? I only see stuff like that for the US version that does not really help us too much.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2013
4867 posts
1731 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
xiaobao wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:59 pm
Is there any site that says what is upcoming for amazon prime canada? I only see stuff like that for the US version that does not really help us too much.
I haven't found one yet, probably because of its lack of popularity in Canada. I usually just scan the "recently added" section.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17200 posts
1238 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Wish Prime Canada had monthly subscription. I have some Amazon money I wouldn't mine using on Prime but no desire to pay the yearly price. I usually order my Amazon stuff to the U.S., oh well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5294 posts
9119 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
Evil Baby wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:28 pm
Wish Prime Canada had monthly subscription. I have some Amazon money I wouldn't mine using on Prime but no desire to pay the yearly price. I usually order my Amazon stuff to the U.S., oh well.
Can a prime member share their membership? If so maybe you share/pay amazon$/month to a family member/friend just for the prime video.

What are the rules for sharing prime or prime video in Canada? I couldn't find it on amazon.ca's website.
Jan 22, 2014
19 posts
1 upvote
Anybody know where I can get the apk file for my fire stick for amazon prime. It seems the stick does has the built in one but I am getting the 5505 error and my country is set currently in amazon
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29277 posts
1033 upvotes
Fernando Po
dealseaker101 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2018 8:39 pm
Parks and Recreation has been added to Prime Video Canada. It was previously available on Shomi before its demise.

Other recently added shows:

Heroes
Heroes Reborn
Elementary
Shameless (UK)
House M.D.
The Good Wife
Law and Order : Special Victims Unit
Law and Order: UK
NCIS: Los Angeles
30 Rock
Alf (childhood favorite of mine)
Jay Leno's Garage
Unsolved Mysteries (with Robert Stack)
Unsolved Mysteries (with Dennis Farina)
72 Hours
The Bill Cosby Show
US Bounty Hunters
Dark Shadows

....and some others.

Definitely, an improvement compared to a year ago.
They must have gone bargain hunting with the Cosby Show. I'm not signing up till I know what I'm getting, this list isn't very impressive. Prime is useless for me otherwise, no faster shipping here.
"On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” -HL Mencken
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2006
5294 posts
9119 upvotes
Comox Valley, BC
ibra0078 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 9:16 pm
Anybody know where I can get the apk file for my fire stick for amazon prime. It seems the stick does has the built in one but I am getting the 5505 error and my country is set currently in amazon
This post has an Amazon Prime Video apk linked in it - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone- ... #p28585274 (post #138)

or this post - https://forums.redflagdeals.com/anyone- ... #p28802681 (post #171)
Oct 21, 2017
4 posts
Does Amazon Prime work in the same way netflix does? If I use a vpn would I get access to US Prime's catalogue?