Amazon prime video now available in Canada

• Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2020 10:44 am
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3489 upvotes
Victoria
Hopefully they can add TV shows to primevideo in Canada. Amazon pretty much some of the best PQ for content. I love how you can pretty much just buy the shows you want to watch in the US instead of cable subs or too many streaming bundles. I guess Bell/Rogers owning all the rights up here most likely makes that impossible :(
Banned
Apr 25, 2020
722 posts
566 upvotes
M1C
Kiraly wrote: Is a Prime membership required for video rentals? Or can anyone rent? It's not clear from that press release. I went to primevideo.com and did not see anything about rentals.
Prime membership is not required. Anyone with an Amazon account can rent. Click on the "Store" that is between the "Home" and "Channels" at the top of the site.

Also can search for Movies to rent or buy.
Buy or Rent Prime Video Titles
You can purchase additional content to watch on Prime Video.

Selected Prime Video titles can be rented or purchased through PrimeVideo.com and the Prime Video apps.
  1. Browse the catalog on the Prime Video website, or use the Search feature to find a specific title. At present, only movies are available to buy or rent.
  2. From the title’s product page, you are shown available options. Buying a title adds it to My Stuff permanently; renting a title will add it there for a limited period. Rented titles stay in your video library for 30-days from the date of the rental. However, once you press play on the rented title, you have at minimum 48-hours to watch it. Some titles have longer viewing periods.
  3. Select Buy or Rent, as applicable. To purchase or rent in a different video quality, select More purchase options.
  4. If you’ve set parental controls, you are prompted to enter your PIN to complete the purchase.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
Soichiro wrote: Amazon Prime Video launches the Prime Video Store for Canada with new movie releases such as Jumanji: The Next Level and Sonic the Hedgehog, now available for customers to rent or buy

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/a ... 24954.html
Wow, they have 150 million paid Prime members.. Next thing you know they're offering new major film release rentals on the day they are released exclusively through Prime for $9.99.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10324 upvotes
Toronto
wineng wrote: I hope my experience will help others have access to US amazon video. I used to be a Prime member in the US, I cancelled it and became a Prime member in Canada. To my surprise I had no problem accessing the US amazon video using a smart DNS.

Last week I decided to remove my US Visa debit card from Alliant CU and everything stopped working for Amazon video, I kept getting the 5505 error or all the US Amazon videos were no longer showing. I thought the problem was with the smart DNS but it turns out that deleting the US VISA debit card was the issue. I added it back to my Amazon account and to my 1-click preferences and 5 minutes later I was able to access all the US amazon video content again.

*Edit - More info on how to get an Alliant Visa Debit card without going to the US us-bank-account-credit-card-canadians-943374/256/
This odd because I have a Canadian prime account. I log into prime on my Apple TV with a VPN and I get USA content, including movies from my Movies Anywhere account.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22158 posts
10324 upvotes
Toronto
gundamwingZero wrote: have the same issue...
smartdns support suggest to add a 1-click addressed in the US... tried it... did not work...
but reading previous post and by djino.. it seems you need to be a prime us.. or put a payment method from the US..
I have a Canadian prime account and no USA Prime account. I set my VPN to USA and I get USA content. For example: Midsommar is HD on Canada Prime but it's UHD on USA Prime. With my VPN, I was able to watch it in 4K HDR, along with some of the James Bond movies that are also in 4K.
Apr 23, 2009
692 posts
184 upvotes
GTA
Hi, my US prime trial is expiring in ~ 10 days. Questions re android prime video app:

1. Is there a maximum number of downloads? I’ve read that 15 to 25 titles (or episodes) in one download is the maximum but I don’t know if that is true. I recently downloaded 25 episodes of one Prime Original show (season 1). The download icon for the season 2 is greyed out. When I checked a couple of other Prime Original shows, they are not greyed out. I also have several other Prime Original shows downloaded, totalling 30 episodes + the 25. Does this mean 25 titles per show is the maximum?

2. How long would the downloaded shows stay in “my stuff” section? (I’ve read 30 days after download.) I am hoping that I can continue to watch the downloaded shows after the trial expiry date.

3. I watch the shows on a tablet. Any way to watch on laptop / TV screen via the app? I have a HDMI cable, but not sure how to transfer the image from the tablet to laptop / TV.

Thanks. Smiling Face With Open Mouth