Shopping Discussion

Amazon "Subscribe and Save" - have I wasted my time? Pricing changes!

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 10:42 pm
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
895 posts
396 upvotes
Prince Edward County…

Amazon "Subscribe and Save" - have I wasted my time? Pricing changes!

I'm pretty disappointed, I thought I had a good thing set up with Amazon sub for a bunch of household consumables at good prices, with %15 off for getting 5 or more items.

But the prices seem to go up (and sometimes down) so much, I'm no super-price-tracker, but I guess I didn't realize that.

Some of the things I chose because they were cheaper than our local retailers, plus 15% off. Then they went up and are comparable. At those prices, I think I'll support the local merchants. I feel like I wasted a bunch of time fussing on Amazon. I guess if you are obsessed with prices and watch them like stocks and switch products, it might be worth it. I am unsubscribing.
6 replies
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11040 posts
3412 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Having an ongoing S&S subscription is only about convenience if you need a certain item delivered to you at regular intervals. Assuming you signed up for S&S because of a cheap price, that's only guaranteed for the first delivery. Subsequent deliveries will be at whatever market price at the time of the next shipment, which you've found out, could be higher or lower.

Therefore, a true RFDer would use S&S only to guarantee and save on the first delivery of an item, and then after it's delivered, it's better to cancel the S&S and then sign up for it again when that item goes on sale again.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3791 posts
3900 upvotes
Actually, you need to spend quite amount of effort for S&S orders unless you don't care about the price. You need to ensure the price is reasonable once the price is locked for upcoming delivery. However, imagine you have 100 S&S order, then the work to double-check the price is going to be tedious.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2012
4430 posts
1673 upvotes
SS is a total bait and switch. Amazon does this on purpose, and they don't care because they have a quasi monopoly on online shopping. Governments need to investigate and punish them.
This is the great ideological divide of our times: not between left and right but between those of us who believe in truth; and those who believe, Oprah style, that we’re all entitled to our own truths and that everyone’s is equally special.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1649 posts
527 upvotes
Canada
Poutinesauce wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 6:16 pm
SS is a total bait and switch. Amazon does this on purpose, and they don't care because they have a quasi monopoly on online shopping. Governments need to investigate and punish them.
On the other option is to do what I do and don't subscribe and save.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8757 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
MooseOnLoose wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 9:07 am
I'm pretty disappointed, I thought I had a good thing set up with Amazon sub for a bunch of household consumables at good prices, with %15 off for getting 5 or more items.

But the prices seem to go up (and sometimes down) so much, I'm no super-price-tracker, but I guess I didn't realize that.

Some of the things I chose because they were cheaper than our local retailers, plus 15% off. Then they went up and are comparable. At those prices, I think I'll support the local merchants. I feel like I wasted a bunch of time fussing on Amazon. I guess if you are obsessed with prices and watch them like stocks and switch products, it might be worth it. I am unsubscribing.
Why not just order as needed? I don't think I'll ever use S&S unless I know it's something I will regularly need where the price won't change often if at all.

gbill2004 wrote:
Jul 13th, 2018 7:26 pm
On the other option is to do what I do and don't subscribe and save.
How could they be punished, you sign up to recurring delivery of the product. The buyer should know this and check the prices BEFORE the next delivery.
[OP]
Feb 27, 2008
895 posts
396 upvotes
Prince Edward County…
The reason it appealled to me is that we run a B &B and so go through a lot of supplies.

But I won’t be using S & S, it’s too irregular.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)