Shopping Discussion

Amazon uses an envelope to ship everything!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2019 5:42 pm
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
40 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa

Amazon uses an envelope to ship everything!!!

I'm fed up with their envelope packaging for almost everything. There is no rhyme or reason.

I got an expensive pair of sunglasses today in an envelope...of course the box it came in was crushed inside

Moreover I needed to pay for shipping/import fees since it was from a warehouse in the states.

I sent them an email asking why do they need to be so cheap and dumb on packaging when their entire business model works around it.

They just started a return automatically (never once did I ask for one in the email.)

I called them up to get someone from India. Asked them why they started a refund when I only wanted an answer to my question. Person refused to help me and didn't even offer to refund the shipping charge.

I'm done with my prime membership. It ends October, but they keep extending it because of all they're screw ups.
43 replies
Apr 13, 2010
499 posts
215 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
aero_gb wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:07 pm
I sent them an email asking why do they need to be so cheap and dumb on packaging when their entire business model works around it.

They just started a return automatically (never once did I ask for one in the email.)
That's how I would have handled it if I worked for them.

When someone asks a question like that, there is no right answer, so there's no point engaging.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
40 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
cybersaga wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 9:08 pm
That's how I would have handled it if I worked for them.

When someone asks a question like that, there is no right answer, so there's no point engaging.
Then you provide awful customer service.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
40 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
Jon Lai wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 8:51 pm
It's part of their efforts to reduce waste of cardboard boxes.
Okay, so I'll send it back with more packaging, then they'll package another. Plus its that bubble wrap envelope, so now we created 3x the amount of plastic waste.
Jul 13, 2007
815 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Just save the bubble envelopes. Give them away to a friend when they're moving, or to a friend that sells junk on Ebay.
Are you sure you wish to carry out this operation? You betcha.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
25123 posts
10572 upvotes
I'll take envelopes over boxes assuming the item fits.
Less cardboard for me to haul around.

In OP's case as long as the glasses were undamaged I could actually care a little less (I care a little, for example if it was a gift) about how the box looked.
Temp. Banned
Dec 16, 2017
2538 posts
1024 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
*hung up*
*banned*
I am being targeted over Internet Relay Chat. Please help me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6195 posts
2556 upvotes
Alberta
aero_gb wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 9:34 pm
Okay, so I'll send it back with more packaging, then they'll package another. Plus its that bubble wrap envelope, so now we created 3x the amount of plastic waste.
And it'll arrive broken again in the bubble pak envelope and you'll have to do it all over again.
Feb 16, 2018
566 posts
512 upvotes
aero_gb wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 9:32 pm
Then you provide awful customer service.
I would have handled it the same way as well. If you worded your email that way you are just looking for a fight/confrontation.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20335 posts
4292 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Amazon should have an option that if you want your order in an indestructible package, pay more for it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Aug 20, 2019
5 posts
6 upvotes
Are you sure your customer service rep was from India? Did you ask them?
Maybe you just happened upon a Canadian with an accent?

I don’t see why the country of origin of someone who works for Amazon has anything to do with your disdain for envelopes.

The thing about ordering individual items from the internet comes with the inherent risk of that item may get damaged. When items are shipped to stores in bulk, this risk is reduced. You are ordering a single item to be delivered to your door for the same price or less than you would in a store.
So you should be aware that maybe 1/20 of your amazon items may not make it to you in pristine packaging.
But amazon will almost always refund and replace damaged items. So I understand the frustration that you didn’t get what you wanted right away, but you should accept these risks the moment you decided to order a single item online.
[OP]
Dec 26, 2010
40 posts
42 upvotes
Ottawa
HghSsociety wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:47 am
I would have handled it the same way as well. If you worded your email that way you are just looking for a fight/confrontation.

Okay...like your opinion matters. You must be a pathetic person if you can't handle a little confrontation.