Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga

Amazon vs Apple.ca

Was able to place an order for an iPhone 6s Plus 128GB Gold + AppleCare for ~1600 after taxes or 1456 without Apple Care

However, I found this on Amazon
APPLE IPHONE 6S PLUS 64GB: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B015GAYHAW

There's no tax on it, so it ends up being 1,260.58.

I tried looking for a 128GB version of the phone, but those ones end up being taxed

My questions are:

Re: AppleCare:
Can I get apple care on the Amazon phone if I go instore? It says 90 days but this is a 3rd party seller on Amazon
What's up with the 130$ service charge? Despite shelling 170$ on warranty, you need to pay more to actually use it?

Re: Mastercard Warranty
Would MBNA add an additional 1yr warranty to this? The seller advertises Apple Replacement for 1yr

The phone is for my mom, she wants something with a good camera, and it looks like the 6s+ has the best one
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7438 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For the ~$60 savings between buying from Apple.ca (with easy and free returns) and buying from a 3rd party seller (you won't get Amazon's easy return policy) I would go with Apple.ca.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1598 posts
1609 upvotes
Orleans, ON
Go with Apple. If you have $1600 to burn on a phone, the savings won't be worth the headache if something goes wrong.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3873 posts
1142 upvotes
GTA
From the reviews:

"Although the phone was delivered promptly, the seller NEGLECTED to do a factory reset, or delete ANY of his personal account info, or pics, or apps/videos, or apps/games. HE EVEN LEFT HIS SIM CHIP IN THE PHONE!!! Not doing business with him ever again."
Usurper420, January 20, 2016
Seller Response: I apologize, but the sim was not mine, it was just used to test the phone and make sure its unlocked. We did forget to do a factory reset sorry
Date: January 20, 2016

enough said about professionalism.

So, selling a phone, he tested a SIM that's not his own, and left it there, and didn't do factory reset.....A 15 year old boy from kijiji would be more professional than this.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
64GB iPhone 6s
Marketplace seller: $1260.58, ships from the UK, is a UK/EU spec phone (so comes with a UK/EU charger). Painful returns, questions as to where it's actually coming from and whether or not it's eligible for AppleCare (they're not exactly an authorized reseller). Might show up locked (as happened to a couple buyers according to that seller's reviews). Worries about customs fees when it arrives in Canada.
Direct from Apple: $1308.54, ships from Canada (or can pick up at a local store). Is a N/A spec phone (so comes with Canadian charger). Super easy returns. 100% guaranteed Applecare eligible. No customs fee worries.

Seems like a no brainer, for less than 4% savings.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2008
8584 posts
5368 upvotes
$1500 for a phone, mind blown. Coming from someone who has spent tons of $ on phones over the years.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
HP_John wrote: $1500 for a phone, mind blown. Coming from someone who has spent tons of $ on phones over the years.
Well it's for my mom, and she wants something with a good camera. The iphones previous to the 6s have a 8MP camera, and only the 'plus' phones have image stabilization (OIS)

For me up until recently, I was using a Huawei Ascend P1 I bought in 2012 for 200$. The motherboard gave out while I was sending a text, so I picked up a cracked LG Optimus G for free and bought a digitizer for 14$. Borrowed a heatgun from a friend, so hopefully the digitizer swap will be easy.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14468 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Dinujan wrote: Well it's for my mom, and she wants something with a good camera. The iphones previous to the 6s have a 8MP camera, and only the 'plus' phones have image stabilization (OIS)

For me up until recently, I was using a Huawei Ascend P1 I bought in 2012 for 200$. The motherboard gave out while I was sending a text, so I picked up a cracked LG Optimus G for free and bought a digitizer for 14$. Borrowed a heatgun from a friend, so hopefully the digitizer swap will be easy.
So you are living basically with some squalor ghetto phone like that while mom gets a new $1500 phone? She wants a good camera? OIS doesn't work magic. What kind of pictures is she going to be taking that she needs all that? A tale of haves and have nots within the same family.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
586 upvotes
Mississauga
cartfan123 wrote: So you are living basically with some squalor ghetto phone like that while mom gets a new $1500 phone? She wants a good camera? OIS doesn't work magic. What kind of pictures is she going to be taking that she needs all that? A tale of haves and have nots within the same family.
The LG G Optimus is still a quad core, once I get it running, I'll probably be able to do alot more with it then I could with my Huawei P1.

Reading up on OIS, while it does improve low-light images, the differences don't seem to justify the extra 100-200$. So yea, the 6S plus was probably overkill.

I think I'll order an iPhone 6S 64GB, and get a quality case instead of AppleCare.

300$ warranty for a 1000$ phone is ridiculous.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21329 posts
10938 upvotes
Oakville
Dinujan wrote: Well it's for my mom, and she wants something with a good camera. The iphones previous to the 6s have a 8MP camera, and only the 'plus' phones have image stabilization (OIS)
Note that there's nothing intrinsically bad about an 8 megapixel camera, for most folks. Does your mom print anything bigger than an 8x10? If not, then 8 megapixels is plenty. They do indeed improve the camera with every new iPhone iteration, but the iPhone 6's 8mp camera is pretty fantastic in and of itself. But obviously, you're future proofing by buying a 6s, since you're one generation newer.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)