Shopping Discussion

Amazon: why don't they ship power banks to PO boxes?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2020 11:00 am
[OP]
Oct 28, 2012
14 posts
Kootenays

Amazon: why don't they ship power banks to PO boxes?

I see a shipping restriction on all brands shipped from Amazon. Changed the delivery to my Post Office, still can't checkout.
I thought it might be Canada Post restriction. There is no restriction for "up to 4 lithium cells or 2 batteries installed in equipment"
9 replies
Nov 23, 2004
310 posts
408 upvotes
Ontario
Safety precaution in case the battery were to catch fire or explode since lithium batteries aren't as safe as a typical NiMh or alkaline battery per say. Not sure if it's the PO boxes that don't accept them, or Amazon just being extra cautious. Even shipping lithium batteries has all sorts of safety precautions to follow in regard to labeling of package, packaging, etc.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1675 posts
182 upvotes
Mississauga
I had the same problem shipping to my usual Post Office box via Flex Post.
However, i used a different Post Office and shipped with no problem.
Shipped to Trinity Common. Brampton.
Also using Amazon.ca
Jan 9, 2011
333 posts
152 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Just bought a powerbank last week as well and tried to use my FlexDelivey address abut wasn't able to check out. I then changed delivery to the Amazon Pickup point at the same post office and was able to complete the purchase and the goods were delivered to the PO. Looks like it pays to try their option before giving up on the P.O. Box option.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2977 posts
917 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
I assume this is a Canada Post restriction for lithium batteries over a certain capacity. I think they will ship with other carriers. Some products are denied you (mistakenly?) when they contain smallish lithiums.
[OP]
Oct 28, 2012
14 posts
Kootenays
ls17031 wrote: Just bought a powerbank last week as well and tried to use my FlexDelivey address abut wasn't able to check out. I then changed delivery to the Amazon Pickup point at the same post office and was able to complete the purchase and the goods were delivered to the PO. Looks like it pays to try their option before giving up on the P.O. Box option.
Amazon told me what the shipping restriction was:
Warranty issues and manufacturer restrictions prevent us from shipping certain products to all geographical locations.
I tried your suggestion, plus two post offices half-hour away. None worked. Then I tried a few other sellers and two worked. However when I checked out, the free shipping disappeared!

Screw Amazon, what a waste of time. I was browsing ebay and found 18650 power enclosures for under $6 in Canada. Since I have some batteries, I bought two of them.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
2977 posts
917 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
Here is a plain paste of a Canada Post notice entitled Shipping Lithium Batteries. (See link for an easier read.)
This Notice provides authorization to commercial customers to ship lithium ion and metal batteries
by air (Xpresspost™ or Priority™ services) within Canada, with the exception of lithium metal
batteries not contained in or packed with equipment which must be shipped by ground (Regular
Parcel™ or Expedited Parcel™ services).
Specifically, Class 9 dangerous goods that are:
• UN3091, LITHIUM METAL BATTERIES CONTAINED IN or PACKED WITH EQUIPMENT (including
lithium alloy batteries);
• UN3480, LITHIUM ION BATTERIES (including lithium ion polymer batteries);
• UN3481, LITHIUM ION BATTERIES CONTAINED IN or PACKED WITH EQUIPMENT (including
lithium ion polymer batteries);
may be shipped by air by commercial customers within Canada.
In addition, as per Transport Canada’s Regulations and International Civil Aviation Organization
(ICAO) Technical Instructions:
• UNINSTALLED lithium (ion or metal) batteries (alone or packed with a device) or
INSTALLED exceeding 4 cells or 2 batteries require a lithium handling label (see
example below) and removable lithium document (specifying package contents, a
flammability warning, special procedures and contact information).
o When deposited at a Post Office, these items are acceptable by ground service only.
• INSTALLED lithium (ion or metal) batteries (maximum 4 cells or 2 batteries) have no
labelling requirements.
Oct 14, 2015
55 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Slightly off-topic, but I packed a power bank in my checked luggage for air travel last week, and I was paged overhead by security while waiting at the gate. Apparently you cannot pack power banks in checked luggage as they are a fire hazard, and when they are in the belly of the plane, any potential fire wouldn't get noticed immediately. I was told I could bring it in carry-on though, with the reason being that if it caught fire in the plane cabin the airline staff would notice and respond to it (fire extinguisher) right away.

Perhaps this is the same or similar logic for not delivering to a PO box?
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43070 posts
3620 upvotes
Richmond Hill
wpgsahm wrote: Slightly off-topic, but I packed a power bank in my checked luggage for air travel last week, and I was paged overhead by security while waiting at the gate. Apparently you cannot pack power banks in checked luggage as they are a fire hazard, and when they are in the belly of the plane, any potential fire wouldn't get noticed immediately. I was told I could bring it in carry-on though, with the reason being that if it caught fire in the plane cabin the airline staff would notice and respond to it (fire extinguisher) right away.

Perhaps this is the same or similar logic for not delivering to a PO box?
It clearly tells you not to put batteries in checked luggage when you check in... :P
Oct 14, 2015
55 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jon Lai wrote: It clearly tells you not to put batteries in checked luggage when you check in... :P
Lol I know, it was my mistake 🤪; just thought I'd provide the rationale!