None
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto

AMAZON Will Deliver Your Package Home In 30 Minutes By Drone

Amazon announced that very soon they will deliver whatever you bought online to your frontyard in 30-45 minutes using small drone quad-copters, even if you live in a small island in the middle of Lake Ontario.

Here's the video;

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=cba_1385947815

-
39 replies
Aug 3, 2007
748 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal QC canada
too creepy.... seriously this has to be never a real ''thing''
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4197 posts
1470 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
Even though many major media websites are claiming this to be true, I do not accept this as fact . There are far too many technological and regulatory hurdles for this to ever "get off the ground" (pun intended).
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 12:47 am
Seems pretty cool but not realistic as there's so many ways to steal a package and what not.
Can you tell me how is this more risky than UPS throwing your package in your front porch while you are not at home?
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Now I have to build a drone, arghh.

Forget a Job, that just wastes time, I don't have to waste.
We now live in a Nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.
- Christopher Hedges
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1978 posts
334 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Gammatron wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:04 am
Can you tell me how is this more risky than UPS throwing your package in your front porch while you are not at home?
+1 Lol.

It would be really interesting if they can pull this off. I am guessing it would probably take 4-5 years but very possible.
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2002
2240 posts
467 upvotes
April Fools day has come early this year? Quadcopters can do some amazing things, but I doubt the battery would last for long range delivery trips. Maybe using a few to pass the package along miiiight actually work... ;-)

That video looks like some quadcopter enthusiasts having a fun time making a mock video.

Anyone interested in trying out a quadcopter, I'd recommend the Hubsan X4 or the WLToys V959 with onboard camera from Banggood to play around with and reading up at RCgroups.com.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/quadcopter.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electr ... otors-790/

My avatar is Shandi Finnessey
Play Hay Day!
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47250 posts
5172 upvotes
Toronto
Gammatron wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:04 am
Clearly every courier leaves your package on the porch right?
I'm sure a drone can put your package in the community mailbox or have you sign the signature required package to make it equally risky as the drone method.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2012
1978 posts
334 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
Jimboski wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:44 am
Clearly every courier leaves your package on the porch right?
I'm sure a drone can put your package in the community mailbox or have you sign the signature required package to make it equally risky as the drone method.
There would obviously be limitations on what can be delivered, just like it is on some of the 2 day prime stuff.

This would likely be for low cost, small items which at this point people don't won't to order right now because of the shipping costs.

Either way, there is obviously a lot more to consider when doing something of this sort. But I am definitely open to the idea.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
174 upvotes
Vancouver
Saw this on 60 Minutes tonight when they did a segment on Amazon. 5 lbs max which is about 86% (iirc) of their orders are and about a 10 mile circumference of the fulfillment center. Once they figure out how to stop the packages from being dropped in swimming pools or hedges we may see little yellow drones criscrossing the sky.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17490 posts
24287 upvotes
ONTARIO
Magoomba wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:52 am
I call BS. What's the payload on these?
If I'm ordering a 10kg bag of dogfood, how's that feasible?
It's not BS.

Here's an article on it:
http://mashable.com/2013/12/01/amazon-u ... ry-drones/

and here's a direct link to it on Amazon's site:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw_s ... 8037720011

Amazon is hoping to have this service up and running by 2015. But realistically probably 3-4 years, I bet.

Personally I think it would be weird as hell to see these things flying around delivering packages.
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Magoomba wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:52 am
I call BS. What's the payload on these?
If I'm ordering a 10kg bag of dogfood, how's that feasible?
Also what about the engineer making $60/hr flying these things from the control room? Now it will cost Amazon $60 bucks to deliver your DVD movie instead of $2.99.