• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2013 11:16 am
Tags:
None
Aug 25, 2011
550 posts
185 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
I too thought this was all a joke, but apparently not.

Still though, it's years away from implementation and there are some obvious drawbacks and limitations, such as:

-battery life of drone
-costs of operating the drone (manned/unmanned)
-how does the drone distinguish dropping the package at you doorstep or at the front of your driveway?
-cannot deliver to apartments/condos
-delivery has to be within a distribution centre

I think this is all just a concept - no different than working concept cars that car manufacturers bring out on auto shows
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Dude everything has been figured out already, to fly the drones hire students or new immigrants at $7/hr. The drones have two-way cameras so they can drop your stuff right on your doorstep, if you live in an apartment they will call you ahead of time to wait for the drone in the middle of your parking lot.

What Im afraid of is will they deliver during a snowstorm? What happens if the drone carrying your iphone crashes? Who is responsible for the loss?
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4600 posts
195 upvotes
GTA
Will be available in US only..
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2010
1205 posts
86 upvotes
This is great news for a guy like me who is pretty good shot with a rifle. Free stuff for life.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1460 posts
306 upvotes
ddp wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:18 pm
this is great news for a guy like me who is pretty good shot with a rifle. Free stuff for life.
:d
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2007
3515 posts
650 upvotes
ddp wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 1:18 pm
This is great news for a guy like me who is pretty good shot with a rifle. Free stuff for life.
Lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6241 posts
899 upvotes
BobSagget wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2013 3:13 am
It's not BS.
Uh, yes it is. I'm still waiting for my flying car and my personal jet pack that were promised over 40 years ago. Amazon is just throwing out some nonsense that appeals to the gullible. Go read some old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics type magazines from the 60's and the like. They were full of this kind of stuff, stuff that sounded really great at the time but never happened.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2013 11:18 am
Uh, yes it is. I'm still waiting for my flying car and my personal jet pack that were promised over 40 years ago. Amazon is just throwing out some nonsense that appeals to the gullible. Go read some old Popular Science and Popular Mechanics type magazines from the 60's and the like. They were full of this kind of stuff, stuff that sounded really great at the time but never happened.
True, many things they said decades ago never happened. Remember someone is controlling what "we are ready for". I wouldn't call us Technologically advanced either.
We now live in a Nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.
- Christopher Hedges
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
4430 posts
628 upvotes
more like delivery by UPS and leave it in your front door
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
I don't mind UPS, I know a guy who works for FedEx I can snoop what is on his truck at times, nothing special, boring stuff !
We now live in a Nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge, governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.
- Christopher Hedges
[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
WildWolf wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2013 9:36 pm
I don't mind UPS, I know a guy who works for FedEx I can snoop what is on his truck at times, nothing special, boring stuff !
FedEx deals mainly with corporate documents. UPS is the gheto express mail for the lower pondscum.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
58 upvotes
Toronto
Gammatron wrote:
Dec 4th, 2013 5:53 am
FedEx deals mainly with corporate documents. UPS is the gheto express mail for the lower pondscum.
Where did you come up with this ideology, they deal with both. One doesn't have more privileges over the other. Besides you're calling yourself a lower pondscum.
- Christopher Hedges
Deal Addict
May 14, 2012
2585 posts
313 upvotes
Ontario
I will use my raspi to get my hands on some of the packages :twisted: :twisted:
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6217 posts
914 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I can see Amazon doing this not too long in the future. But the hurdle will most likely be government red tape. i doubt the FAA would allow a couple thousand drones in the air all of a sudden.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3907 posts
1019 upvotes
Toronto
Wish they already had this up and running. Ordered a game on sat and am still waiting for it to be shipped