Entertainment

AMC 'Better Call Saul' (Breaking Bad prequel spin off)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 12th, 2018 5:59 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
newt_101 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 10:02 am

The crying fit he had in the car was real.
Yup, I think that was another 'final straw' to make Jimmy into Saul. He saw himself in that girl and realizes no matter what he does, nothing will get his 'in the door' to that 'better society'.

Hindenburg1 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:04 pm
Wow what a great way to wrap up a season:

- Chuck is a great singer! Way better than Jimmy.
- that Mike and Werner last shot had such a great cinematography
- Anyone else find that Lalo spiderman moment ridiculous? How did he even get up there?
- Jimmy tricked everyone with that final speech. That final phrase was badass. No more Jimmy McGill.

I really hope there is a season 5. Guess we won't see anything for a year and a half.
Ofc there'll be a S5 unless they're insane...why wouldn't there be?

Ya, no idea about the Lalo guy, how did he even start to tail Mike in the 1st place?
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2006
2969 posts
854 upvotes
Global Village
carmaster wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 1:39 pm
Yes there is going to be a final season 5.
There was no announcement that S05 would be the final season. AMC could transition this from a BB prequel to a BB sequel and take us to the Cinnabon timeline where Jimmy/Gene is presumably hiding from the drug lords after BB. I predict at least 2 more BCS seasons.
All day I dream about sports
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1485 posts
264 upvotes
Ontario
I really miss Chuck!!! Great finale but I think this was the weakest season so far.

I feel the whole Gus storyline is sloppy. It was like an alternate timeline in the finale. Where was Nacho?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
scoper wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 12:05 am
There was no announcement that S05 would be the final season. AMC could transition this from a BB prequel to a BB sequel and take us to the Cinnabon timeline where Jimmy/Gene is presumably hiding from the drug lords after BB. I predict at least 2 more BCS seasons.
That would be awesome. As much as I'm loving BCS, it moving to be BB's sequel is better. I live in the present. :D
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8110 posts
958 upvotes
Victoria
Given how much time they've invested into developing the character of Saul/Jimmy, it would seem a little anti-climatic to end the series without resolving what happens to Saul post breaking bad.

Then again being cursed for life to work in a cinnabon... that kind of is an ending....
Last edited by zod on Oct 11th, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
I wonder what real Cinnabon managers think of this series? Wth, making fun of me???? @$$@^#^! Lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
6314 posts
917 upvotes
T dot 6
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:04 pm
- Anyone else find that Lalo spiderman moment ridiculous? How did he even get up there?
- It's funny that you mention it, I was brushing my teeth this morning thinking about the episode how unrealistic it was. The guy at the "moneymart" get a call to distract him at the exact moment he then somehow climbs through the ceiling as if its just empty space up there.
- You guys at annoyed by Kim, I am in love with Kim. Same with Skyler, everyone found her annoying but I didnt. I think the show has always made the characters and their actions believable for the characters....for the most part.
- I didnt buy Jimmy's speech, but I wanted to.....but now we have Saul Goodman and hopefully some great one liners like in Breaking Bad.

Season 5 has been announced.
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Seaso ... Call_Saul)
"The fifth season of the American television drama series Better Call Saul was announced on July 28, 2018. It will consist of an unknown number of episodes, each running approximately 50 minutes in length, and is expected to air in 2019.[1] It has not yet been revealed whether or not this will be the final season of the series."
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
Jaytee wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:12 am
- It's funny that you mention it, I was brushing my teeth this morning thinking about the episode how unrealistic it was. The guy at the "moneymart" get a call to distract him at the exact moment he then somehow climbs through the ceiling as if its just empty space up there.
- You guys at annoyed by Kim, I am in love with Kim. Same with Skyler, everyone found her annoying but I didnt. I think the show has always made the characters and their actions believable for the characters....for the most part.
- I didnt buy Jimmy's speech, but I wanted to.....but now we have Saul Goodman and hopefully some great one liners like in Breaking Bad.

Season 5 has been announced.
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Seaso ... Call_Saul)
"The fifth season of the American television drama series Better Call Saul was announced on July 28, 2018. It will consist of an unknown number of episodes, each running approximately 50 minutes in length, and is expected to air in 2019.[1] It has not yet been revealed whether or not this will be the final season of the series."
Can't remember much about Skylar but she must've been annoying too hahaha. Can't beat Jessie for being the show's resident dumbX though. Kim redeemed herself a little in the last episode.

Not sure if Jimmy's speech was 100% a con, I think he felt some of it but wanted to 'steel' himself and pretend to be this cold-hearted trickster.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7572 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
great last show of the season...it's all good man.

2 things that had me wondering though:
1) as previously mentioned, Lalo's spidey impersonation.
2) Jimmy paid $23K for the dedication library and party. and possibly shelled out for the scholarship (or was it HHM?) where the heck did he get all this money from? he's been driving around a beat up car on its last legs for awhile. you would think with that kind of cash he could at least get it fixed up a bit or buy a better used car. he only got $5K from Chuck's will. did Kim loan him the rest of the money?

curious to see if they get more into Kim's back story next season to see where her motivations come from.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
No idea about Lalo Spiderman but didn't Jimmy make a killing w those phones...even though he got robbed once?

I assume he didn't fund the scholarship or else he would've been able to veto the votes and choose that girl he liked.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7572 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 9:44 pm
No idea about Lalo Spiderman but didn't Jimmy make a killing w those phones...even though he got robbed once?

I assume he didn't fund the scholarship or else he would've been able to veto the votes and choose that girl he liked.
for the ones he got ripped off for i assume he had to cover the cost of those phones. i don't recall those kids ever giving him the money back for them. it did seem like he sold quite a few phones after but even so they were cheap burner phones and he would only have gotten a commission on them.

i was going back and forth on the scholarship. i thought he was using that scholarship along with the library dedication as brownie points for the law panel appeal board. i would assume the money for the scholarship came from HHM or Chuck's will but then why would Jimmy even have a vote on who should get the scholarship? i could see it as gesture of good will from HHM for the library but according to Howard it was an anonymous donation so he had no idea it was from Jimmy at the time.

regardless, it was quite the costly mistake for Jimmy during his re-in-statement hearing not to mention Chuck. yeah, Chuck was a prick but Jimmy should have known better when trying to convince the panel. i think after Howard's admission of guilt with Jimmy and Kim, Jimmy buried any remaining "brotherly" feelings for Chuck at that point.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1485 posts
264 upvotes
Ontario
Happy to hear about the next season. Hopefully there will be one more after this. Maybe a whole season in the present.

It really annoys me how this show doesn't get its due from the emmy awards. I am a huge GOT but the last two seasons did not deserve all the awards it got.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2010
9421 posts
1644 upvotes
Montréal
ShoNuff2 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:45 pm
for the ones he got ripped off for i assume he had to cover the cost of those phones. i don't recall those kids ever giving him the money back for them. it did seem like he sold quite a few phones after but even so they were cheap burner phones and he would only have gotten a commission on them.

i was going back and forth on the scholarship. i thought he was using that scholarship along with the library dedication as brownie points for the law panel appeal board. i would assume the money for the scholarship came from HHM or Chuck's will but then why would Jimmy even have a vote on who should get the scholarship? i could see it as gesture of good will from HHM for the library but according to Howard it was an anonymous donation so he had no idea it was from Jimmy at the time.

regardless, it was quite the costly mistake for Jimmy during his re-in-statement hearing not to mention Chuck. yeah, Chuck was a prick but Jimmy should have known better when trying to convince the panel. i think after Howard's admission of guilt with Jimmy and Kim, Jimmy buried any remaining "brotherly" feelings for Chuck at that point.
I'm probably wrong but I assumed that those were *his* phones and he was initially using the store as a cover to sell them before selling on the streets lol.

As for the scholarship, I'm guessing it's either in Chuck's will or HHM but not from Jimmy or else he would've had veto power.

Ya, he must've really wanted to block out Chuck hence not mentioning him at the first hearing. I don't blame him haha, but sometimes one has to put on an act to get what they want.
Mar 17, 2016
670 posts
461 upvotes
Was reading on Reddit that the girl Jimmy talked to (the shoplifter that got denied scholarship) reminded Jimmy of himself and his struggles. This could be why Jimmy had that breakdown in his car. Everyone labelled him as a crook/crappy lawyer and no matter how hard he tries, that label follows him (just like the shoplifting charge follows that girl).

I hope this show goes to 8-10 seasons. There is so much they can cover. Even through we're done season 4, it feels like show barely started.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
7572 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
tranquility922 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 3:09 am
I'm probably wrong but I assumed that those were *his* phones and he was initially using the store as a cover to sell them before selling on the streets lol.

As for the scholarship, I'm guessing it's either in Chuck's will or HHM but not from Jimmy or else he would've had veto power.

Ya, he must've really wanted to block out Chuck hence not mentioning him at the first hearing. I don't blame him haha, but sometimes one has to put on an act to get what they want.
they were definitely the store's phones he was selling. he put his own money in the cash register before taking them out of the store to sell. during his initial re-instatement hearing they even mentioned he got some kind of award as one of the top sales guys for the company. he was only there for a few months though so i don't see him making the kind of coin required to pay for that library/ party. i'm guessing it must have come from Kim...especially with Jimmy driving around that beat up car for so long.

i'm leaning towards HHM or Chuck as well, but not sure why they would even bother to give him a seat at the table for the scholarship vote.
Hindenburg1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 12:51 pm
Was reading on Reddit that the girl Jimmy talked to (the shoplifter that got denied scholarship) reminded Jimmy of himself and his struggles. This could be why Jimmy had that breakdown in his car. Everyone labelled him as a crook/crappy lawyer and no matter how hard he tries, that label follows him (just like the shoplifting charge follows that girl).

I hope this show goes to 8-10 seasons. There is so much they can cover. Even through we're done season 4, it feels like show barely started.
for sure. the girl not being considered for the scholarship because of her mistake made Jimmy sympathetic to her plight because he felt like he would never be taken seriously as a legit lawyer because of what he had done. it was as if Jimmy was talking to himself that entire scene...play by your own rules, cut corners, do whatever it takes to win, etc.

it reminded me of his fight with Kim on the rooftop. in that scene it was like he was talking to Chuck saying all you see is Slippin' Jimmy.

one of the reasons he broke down in the car was he realized all the effort he put in to convince the review board on what a "good guy" he was still wasn't going to be enough to get him his license back. that was the impetus for the idea to use Chuck's letter in front of the review board. he changed his strategy again when he saw the lady shuffling around papers while he was reading the note. his fake emotions about his brother not only conned the review board but also Kim who wiped away a tear thinking he was being genuine.

looking forward to seeing how this plays out next season. hope they can stretch it at least 2 more.