Computers & Electronics

AMD A8-4500M Equivalent Intel Processor?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2012 5:54 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 20, 2004
288 posts
18 upvotes

AMD A8-4500M Equivalent Intel Processor?

I am looking for a good lightweight laptop for myself. An ultrabook is unfortunately too expensive for me. I do not really need to game at all. But I will be doing lots of word processing, youtube videos, and general multi-tasking.

I saw this laptop from Toshiba. 14", lightweight, seems good?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 07816.aspx

I thought it was good. Was wondering what other people thought. Particularly if the processor is a good one. And any other laptop suggestions anyone has would be appreciated. I'm looking for a 14", under 5lbs total cost Max 700 with taxes.

Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
A8-4500M is ranked #158 by Notebookcheck.net This is about the speed of an Intel Pentium B940 (#151). Second generation i3 are ranked #107 (i3-2310M) or higher. Second generation i5 are ranked #63 (i5-2410M) or higher.

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E430 is in your price range. I have last year's model, E420.

Here's a review on the E430:

http://www.studentbuyingguide.com/2012/ ... 30-review/

http://www.lenovo.com

It usually takes several weeks from time of order. They typically manufacture the laptop in China and ship it to Toronto for shipping across Canada.

This laptop's base model starts a $494.xx using an e-coupon code. You can upgrade the CPU to an i5-2450M for $50 or other CPU's. Add a webcam for $30, etc. Free shipping typically. Has a US keyboard. Display is average at best for the E420. Good build quality...not as good as the Lenovo Thinkpad T420/T430 which is also heavier and pricier.

Intel Core i3-2350M Processor (3M Cache, 2.30GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
14.0" W HD (1366 x 768) LED AntiGlare, Midnight Black
Intel HD Graphics (WWAN or mSATA capable)
4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
UltraNav with FingerPrint Reader
320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
DVD Recordable
6 cell Li-Ion Battery 48WH - 75+
ThinkPad 1x1 b/g/n
No Mobile Broadband support
1 Year Depot/Express Warranty

Dave
Aug 16, 2004
365 posts
77 upvotes
For what you're planning to use it for, I wouldn't spend $700, or even $500. If you're not gonna play games and don't care about full-screen high-def movies, all you need is a very low-end latptop; like a netbook but with a 14" display. Pretty much anything sold in stores will be more power than what you need, so perhaps even consider buying used. If you're doing a lot of word processing, then the most important thing to look for is a nice keyboard. I don't have any specific recommendations, but before making a final decision check out reviews to see what others have said about the keyboard.

Edit: Cnet has a review on the best and worst laptop keyboards. They really liked Lenovo's Thinkpads, but those can be expensive unless you're buying used. Also good are the Sony Vaio "E" series (but "W" series are bad). Most of the others they reviewed are just little netbooks. I'm sure there's lots more keyboard reviews out there: do your research!
[OP]
Jan 20, 2004
288 posts
18 upvotes
Thanks for the advice. I previously had a netbook and it was superslow for me. I wasn't a fan and ended up selling it off. Maybe it was the ram and not the processor itself. But I Figure I will get something better that may be "overboard" in terms of what I need but will for sure handle everything without difficulties. But I think a good keyboard will be important I will test that out in advance.
bjserink wrote:
Jul 11th, 2012 2:34 pm
For what you're planning to use it for, I wouldn't spend $700, or even $500. If you're not gonna play games and don't care about full-screen high-def movies, all you need is a very low-end latptop; like a netbook but with a 14" display. Pretty much anything sold in stores will be more power than what you need, so perhaps even consider buying used. If you're doing a lot of word processing, then the most important thing to look for is a nice keyboard. I don't have any specific recommendations, but before making a final decision check out reviews to see what others have said about the keyboard.

Edit: Cnet has a review on the best and worst laptop keyboards. They really liked Lenovo's Thinkpads, but those can be expensive unless you're buying used. Also good are the Sony Vaio "E" series (but "W" series are bad). Most of the others they reviewed are just little netbooks. I'm sure there's lots more keyboard reviews out there: do your research!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
sschopra wrote:
Jul 11th, 2012 4:36 pm
Thanks for the advice. I previously had a netbook and it was superslow for me. I wasn't a fan and ended up selling it off. Maybe it was the ram and not the processor itself. But I Figure I will get something better that may be "overboard" in terms of what I need but will for sure handle everything without difficulties. But I think a good keyboard will be important I will test that out in advance.
The netbook was probably a one core CPU with 1 GB RAM and Win7 Starter OS.....I wouldn't touch a netbook unless it was a dual core, 2-4 GB RAM and Win7 Home Premium or better.
Jul 24, 2012
1 posts
VANCOUVER
Passmark scores

A8-4500m scores 4311 ranked 188th
i3-2310m scores 2621 ranked 385
B940 scores 1864 ranked 518

The A8 looks to outperfrom the i3, except the i3 maybe better at single thread applications, the A8 also has better graphics. I think you are confusing it with the non Mobile version the i3-2310...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
6530 posts
617 upvotes
Alberta
mylesrom wrote:
Jul 25th, 2012 4:58 pm
David Y

Your numbers are totally wrong for processor performance.

Passmark scores

A8-4500m scores 4311 ranked 188th
i3-2310m scores 2621 ranked 385
B940 scores 1864 ranked 518

The A8 if far superior plus the graphics is also superior. I think you are confusing it with the non Mobile version the i3-2310...
That's according to Pass marks. You do know that there is more than one benchmark program out there, right? I had quoted rankings from Notebookcheck.net

Dave
× < >