• Last Updated:
  • Aug 28th, 2019 2:05 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes

AMD GPU Causes Chrome to Hang and Lag

This sounds like a crazy idea but I think a newly installed AMD GPU is causing Google Chrome to intermittently hang on new open loads. The card is an ASUS RX580. Anyone ever experience this?
27 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2296 posts
317 upvotes
In another world
Nope.
Try with a different browser.
Uninstall and reinstall Chrome.
Check your video card drivers if they're up to date.
Monitor Windows resources and check what's consuming what.
Lastly, remove the GPU and test Chrome, then reinstall the GPU (rinse and repeat).
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1987 posts
998 upvotes
Mississauga
It is possible. I am guessing it is hardware acceleration. try latest drivers for the GPU. If that does not help resolve it, try to disable HW inside chrome settings.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
@gontori and @IndyBeak It's odd, a few other AMD users have also reported this. I normally install the recommended updates. I do see an Optional version (properly slightly newer but in beta) and it seems to be holding out well. On another note, after installing this RX580, cold boots definitely take longer to get to Windows. In fact, the MSI logo does not even show up anymore before hitting Windows. Throw in an nVidia card. Boots to Windows much faster. Back to RX580, slow to boot. So odd how a GPU can affect boot up before Windows.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
39456 posts
5833 upvotes
King City
bowmah wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 3:26 pm
@gontori and @IndyBeak It's odd, a few other AMD users have also reported this. I normally install the recommended updates. I do see an Optional version (properly slightly newer but in beta) and it seems to be holding out well. On another note, after installing this RX580, cold boots definitely take longer to get to Windows. In fact, the MSI logo does not even show up anymore before hitting Windows. Throw in an nVidia card. Boots to Windows much faster. Back to RX580, slow to boot. So odd how a GPU can affect boot up before Windows.
Could be MSI itself? Maybe that specific GPU you have has issues?
The One and Only and Proud to be an Indian.
If I helped in any way, click that cool little "Thanks" button.
1987 posts
998 upvotes
Mississauga
bowmah wrote:
I think MSI logo not showing up could be because UEFI boot is enabled. So the motherboard screen will skip and you will directly see the spinning dots of windows.
Why I suggested this is because I had this weird issue on my laptop where all of sudden, Firefox would get stuck, refuse to play videos and so on. I eventually narrowed it down to a conflict between hardware acceleration and GPU drivers. I would revert to the original drivers which came with the laptop and everything would work. Then windows update would update the drivers and issue will return. I eventually turned off HW from Firefox settings.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2378 posts
669 upvotes
Windsor
bowmah wrote:
This "slow to boot windows" issue is a slow-loading driver. Since nVidia and AMD drivers are approximately the same in bloat, there should be virtually no difference in load times.

I'd suggest you nuke all ancillary videocard applications (since you apparently have nVidia drivers installed, you'll want to remove those, and any of nVidias accompanying bloatware), your AMD drivers (and THEIR bloatware), then use some kind of "driver cleaner".

Reboot, reinstall the newest driver, re-test.

The issue is very likely with your drivers (namely, driver conflicts, possibly from nVidia software delaying your boot as it searches for a compatible card), not the card.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1666 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
When swapping from one branded video card to another always use DDU Uninstaller. DDU

Clean and Shutdown Option (for installing a new graphics card) so it completely wipes the system. It will detect everything on its own. The program its self might even ask you to boot into Safe Mode if it feels it cannot clean the system fully in Normal Mode. Always use this when change branded cards.

I even use it when going new generations. (eg. When I still had AMD. I ran this when I went from the R9 380 to the RX 480/580 Crossfire, just to be safe). Even if someone was running like a RX 570/580 etc and upgraded to the RX 5700 series I would still recommend them to run this software. Same goes for Nvidia cards.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
Thx @djemzine @IndyBeak @ChubChub and @heyyahblah . I had to use DDU to wiped all previous drivers or the ASUS RX580 would boot just to black. I was very surprised that drivers inside Windows would affect the boot sequence even before Windows loads. Used DDU in safe mode --> power down --> swap GPU --> power up and install correct drivers.

In short, with a GTX-1050, machine boots with the MSI motherboard logo in UEFI mode, then goes to the Windows 10 log on screen. With the RX580 installed, monitors get signal but stay black, then go to no signal stage (still black), then picks up signal again once the Win 10 log on screen appears. There is definitely a delay.

1. The mouse hesitation issue seems to have stopped after upgrading to the Optional drivers inside the Radeon Settings.

2. Chrome is still hanging on some occasions but that may be a different issue. Seems too coincidental that with the RX570 and even the GTX-1050, Chrome runs buttery smooth.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1666 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
bowmah wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 10:56 pm
Thx @djemzine @IndyBeak @ChubChub and @heyyahblah . I had to use DDU to wiped all previous drivers or the ASUS RX580 would boot just to black. I was very surprised that drivers inside Windows would affect the boot sequence even before Windows loads. Used DDU in safe mode --> power down --> swap GPU --> power up and install correct drivers.

In short, with a GTX-1050, machine boots with the MSI motherboard logo in UEFI mode, then goes to the Windows 10 log on screen. With the RX580 installed, monitors get signal but stay black, then go to no signal stage (still black), then picks up signal again once the Win 10 log on screen appears. There is definitely a delay.

1. The mouse hesitation issue seems to have stopped after upgrading to the Optional drivers inside the Radeon Settings.

2. Chrome is still hanging on some occasions but that may be a different issue. Seems too coincidental that with the RX570 and even the GTX-1050, Chrome runs buttery smooth.
Well, I'm just guessing here but judging by the way you are describing the symptoms. Does the RX570 give you that blank screen as well or is it all smooth like with the RX570 and the GTX 1050 card? If that's the case sounds like the RX580 is bad and is giving you boot issues. Like a power draw problem or PCI-e problem, something that is causing this intermittent delay. If the other 2 GPU's don't do that, but the 580 does I would suggest removing it from the machine completely so you don't damage the mobo.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Aug 20th, 2019 11:28 pm
Well, I'm just guessing here but judging by the way you are describing the symptoms. Does the RX570 give you that blank screen as well or is it all smooth like with the RX570 and the GTX 1050 card? If that's the case sounds like the RX580 is bad and is giving you boot issues. Like a power draw problem or PCI-e problem, something that is causing this intermittent delay. If the other 2 GPU's don't do that, but the 580 does I would suggest removing it from the machine completely so you don't damage the mobo.
The RX570 is buttery smooth. Thsi RX580 was a replacement from ASUS as the RX570 died shortly after purchase. Fun right? Purchased a brand new RX570, it died. ASUS sent an RX580, I reported the problems, they had me send it back. They test benched it, took photos to prove that it works and sent it back to me. So fun.
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1666 posts
790 upvotes
GTA
bowmah wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 12:42 am
The RX570 is buttery smooth. Thsi RX580 was a replacement from ASUS as the RX570 died shortly after purchase. Fun right? Purchased a brand new RX570, it died. ASUS sent an RX580, I reported the problems, they had me send it back. They test benched it, took photos to prove that it works and sent it back to me. So fun.
ASUS is notorious for sending back everything from broken cards to damaged motherboards claiming they were damaged by you (end user) to deny warranty or replacement claims, its been posted here all over the forums. The only AIB's I would touch are Sapphire for AMD and EVGA for Nvidia and MSI for either or. I currently have a MSI 1080Ti in my machine, and previous to that I had RX 580 and RX 480 that were MSI branded, R9 380 Sapphire branded, and GTX 960 EVGA branded. No problems with any of those manufactures. I haven't touched anything ASUS since 2007/8. They are a no go for me, especially seeing people's horror stories on RFD. Sounds like a dud card to me again with B.S. testing they claimed they did.

You should not be having problems like this.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
heyyahblah wrote:
Aug 21st, 2019 2:02 am
ASUS is notorious for sending back everything from broken cards to damaged motherboards claiming they were damaged by you (end user) to deny warranty or replacement claims, its been posted here all over the forums. The only AIB's I would touch are Sapphire for AMD and EVGA for Nvidia and MSI for either or. I currently have a MSI 1080Ti in my machine, and previous to that I had RX 580 and RX 480 that were MSI branded, R9 380 Sapphire branded, and GTX 960 EVGA branded. No problems with any of those manufactures. I haven't touched anything ASUS since 2007/8. They are a no go for me, especially seeing people's horror stories on RFD. Sounds like a dud card to me again with B.S. testing they claimed they did.

You should not be having problems like this.
It's my bad for choosing ASUS. Here I was thinking they were a top shelf brand. Think I have not dealt with hardware in a long time! I am a decade behind in my skillz. To be honest, I don't game much. Got the 8GB card to edit 4K video. Does it out perform my GTX-1050? Yes. But not by much. Davinci Resolve has create cache and it works well even with a GTX-1050. Again, my bad for choosing ASUS.

I thought it was odd that the RX570 was marketed as heavily tested for e-sports so it's guaranteed to work. Died after 2 freaking weeks. Newegg Canada would not do a full refund. No more Newegg or ASUS for me.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2296 posts
317 upvotes
In another world
If you have a chance, try to put the RX580 in another computer. Then check if that computer experiences similar issues.
That will tell you for sure the GPU it's faulty.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3533 posts
824 upvotes
@gontori @heyyahblah , would you guys mind booting up to Windows, then looking at Task Manager. Startup tab. Top right, Windows should report Last BIOS time. I think this is the time it took to boot from cold (initializing UEFI) to Windows. Care to share?