• Dec 7th, 2017 3:11 pm
[OP]
Jan 10, 2017
387 posts
136 upvotes
GTA

AMD and Qualcomm, bringing mobile cpu and LTE together

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/05/amd ... napdragon/

So with the introduction of AMD 4 core 8 thread Vega cpu for laptops, expect them to be wirelessly connected to LTE+ when your on the go.

Kicked out of the house for playing too much League. Just find a nice dark alley and open your laptop, with your $15/3GB Fido sim of 100mbps with 20-60ms latency.
Game all night and cry hungry for your newest tech adventure.

I'm currently looking into this as it means you can work, play with our cheap data plans abroad.
Information Security Analyst
---
Fido $15/3GB + voip.ms $1/M + 3cx PBX voip push client $0 + Google Server vps $0 = $16/Month voip solution with no battery drain.
Thread
5 replies
Oct 6, 2015
884 posts
433 upvotes
Nothing you can't accomplish by adding a $50 4G LTE card to your laptop already. My 10-year-old laptop worked fine with a 4G LTE card installed.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
2583 posts
179 upvotes
Brampton
Because we really need another data plan... that's what tethering is for.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
16673 posts
1790 upvotes
Montreal
shabby wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 8:45 pm
Because we really need another data plan... that's what tethering is for.
Your assuming all of AMD customers live in Canada, as opposed to countries where mobile data is affordable.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21751 posts
2448 upvotes
MadCanadian wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:04 pm
Kicked out of the house for playing too much League. Just find a nice dark alley and open your laptop, with your $15/3GB Fido sim of 100mbps with 20-60ms latency.
Game all night and cry hungry for your newest tech adventure.
Soooo they are marketing this at nerdy teenagers? That's their angle? LOL. And what kind of dark alley is "nice" and why would you take a laptop there where the screen would make you clearly visible to people that might be lurking such alleys?

I think the only thing they would end up crying about was getting beaten up and robbed :lol:

In any event as post#2 states, this can easily be done on any laptop with any applicable WWAN card/device--either installed in the laptop or via USB or ExpressCard or whatever.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7892 posts
1953 upvotes
Brampton
Besides naming the partnership to I guess build specific ODM platforms. What's the innovation?
I have a work laptop(mobile workstation) that's got an LTE card inside with dedicated graphics and high end processor.