[American Express] 25% Transfer Bonus - AMEX MR to BA Avios

Deal Link:
Expiry:
November 12, 2017
Retailer:
American Express
More offers from American Express
Hello All,

AMEX is offerring a 25% bonus on Membership Rewards (MR) points transferred to British Airways Avios until November 12.

Normally, they convert at 1:1, and the last bonus offer was way back in Jan 2016, so take advantage :)

Note: The linked transfer page still shows a 1000:1000 conversion ratio, but click on 'Product Information' and you will be able to see the special offer (screenshot below).

Enjoy!
Images
  • Avios.jpg
77 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4158 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
Literally just transferred all my points to SPG... ouch
[OP]
Nov 6, 2015
189 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
greg123 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 6:57 am
Literally just transferred all my points to SPG... ouch
I know the feeling...redeemed a Marriott hotel and flight package 2 days before the Aeroplan 35% bonus was announced :(
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39192 posts
1357 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I'm new to Avios - are points on Avios redeemable on all OneWorld partner flights?

Have 25K MR points currently, which will net a bit over 30K Avios points if I transfer. What's the farthest and/or most valuable flight I could get to, assuming two tickets 15K points each from YYZ?
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
[OP]
Nov 6, 2015
189 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
Jon Lai wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:41 am
I'm new to Avios - are points on Avios redeemable on all OneWorld partner flights?

Have 25K MR points currently, which will net a bit over 30K Avios points if I transfer. What's the farthest and/or most valuable flight I could get to, assuming two tickets 15K points each from YYZ?
Avios are redeemable on all OneWorld airlines. However, be wary of fuel surcharges charged by some of them.

I generally use Avios for last minute flights within North America on AA when cash prices are through the roof (15K roundtrip to NYC/Chicago from YYZ). However, I'm pretty sure you could get better value.

Found a basic overview of the benefits for Canadians here (Beware it's a blog with lots of clickbait)
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1446 posts
118 upvotes
Hamilton
Is there rewards chart? How many points BA points would you need to fly from YYZ to Asia or Europe? or even Sydney?

is it better value than Alaskla Airlines?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1010 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
Jon Lai wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 7:41 am

At 15K it should likely just get you short haul flights. Not much different from what 15K aeroplan would get you. They will work for AA flights assuming there's availability.
tester85 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:30 am
Is there rewards chart? How many points BA points would you need to fly from YYZ to Asia or Europe? or even Sydney?

is it better value than Alaskla Airlines?
Avios is a distance based system meaning that flying to one city could be more expensive than the other even though they are both in the same region. As an example, it took me 105K for a one way biz class ticket on Avios from YYZ to HKG on Cathay.

It seems to me that they are better value for short haul flights. I was able to get flights for 10K to 15K within Asia.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2015
189 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
Here's the distance-based award chart.

I believe there's also a way to get better value by transferring points from BA to Iberia Avios. Haven't looked into it myself yet though.
Images
  • British-Airways-Avios-Award-Chart.png
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19188 posts
121800 upvotes
GTA
One of the major advantages with Avios is that for short haul NA flights (typically using a US/foreign airline), you will pay far lower taxes/fees than if you were to redeem through Aeroplan. I think I paid a grand total of $28 roundtrip for 2 tickets to NYC, vs. with Aeroplan, where it would have been in the $150-ish range.
Jan 23, 2009
69 posts
6 upvotes
How does everyone find availability for short-haul NA flights? Everytime I use the BA site, there is no availability for anything short-haul departing from Toronto.
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
19188 posts
121800 upvotes
GTA
oathk wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:32 am
How does everyone find availability for short-haul NA flights? Everytime I use the BA site, there is no availability for anything short-haul departing from Toronto.
That is true, there is limited availability and I have made a few bookings when it has said "only 2 seats left", etc. You may need to play with the dates a bit, and also keep your options open if you have a particular airport you prefer to fly into (in the case of NYC for example).
[OP]
Nov 6, 2015
189 posts
274 upvotes
Oakville
oathk wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 9:32 am
Use the American Airlines website to check availability. Flights under MileSAAver can be booked with Avios. Call Executive Club to book if a flight shows up on AA but not BA.

Here's a sample search for YYZ-ORD for the rest of the month. Availability isn't great, but seats are there.
Images
  • Capture.PNG
Jan 31, 2016
804 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Now that the bonus points promo is here I am undecided if I should transfer directly to Avios or should I transfer to SPG and wait for the Marriot Avios promo and buy a travel package?

Tried crunching numbers but still undecided about what the best return is for my MR points converting to Avios. Was originally looking to transfer to Aeroplan but no thank you.

Advice appreciated.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2006
2026 posts
735 upvotes
Barrie
dotsandpixels wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:05 am
Now that the bonus points promo is here I am undecided if I should transfer directly to Avios or should I transfer to SPG and wait for the Marriot Avios promo and buy a travel package?

Tried crunching numbers but still undecided about what the best return is for my MR points converting to Avios. Was originally looking to transfer to Aeroplan but no thank you.

Advice appreciated.
Just out of curiosity why aren't you transferring to Aeroplan anymore? I ask for personal knowledge as I was planning on transferring mine to Aeroplan.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
2215 posts
889 upvotes
RunnerForDeals wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 11:09 am
Just out of curiosity why aren't you transferring to Aeroplan anymore? I ask for personal knowledge as I was planning on transferring mine to Aeroplan.
I can't speak for dots, but it's likely due to the fact that Air Canada is essentially planning on turning Aeroplan into Aeropesos in 2020.
I'd love to write history... in advance.
AMEX Biz Plat 75K :: Personal Plat 60K :: Biz Gold 40K :: Personal Gold 25K :: SPG 20K