Sep 12th, 2017 2:07 pm
This is for Amex, not Avion.
I had a brain lock
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
3715 posts
619 upvotes
Vancouver
I have heard that AA is being more stingy on Avios redemption. For a week or two earlier this year, there was 0 availability because of a "system problem" where you couldn't even book AAsaver-eligible flights over the phone. Having said that, after their system came back up, there is usually plenty of flights from AA hubs or major cities with many daily flights to your destination. Plenty of choice all through the day from NY-BOS for example, even just 2 weeks out @ 7500pts + $10.

The best deals I'm aware of are intra-Australia (as low as 4500 one-way + $10 on Qantas, eg. MEL-SYD), intra-Japan (4500 to almost any destination from Tokyo on JAL). Most routes when flying in Cathay J (Business). Boston to Dublin for 12,500. West coast USA to Hawaii for 12,500. YVR-LAX for 7500... Routes in SE Asia flown by Malaysia Air are good too.
Dec 21, 2010
64 posts
15 upvotes
This is my first time transferring MR to Avios.

I submitted the request Tuesday, got an email saying the transfer has been completed. However, I still do not see points in my BA account. I understand that it says it will take 5 days, but is it normal getting the a completed email but no points?

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1824 posts
44 upvotes
YVR
Yes. It does take a few days to receive. You'll get a notice email when it's actually complete.
Oct 22, 2015
573 posts
135 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
submalst wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 3:40 pm
I have found redemption using AVIOS for AA flights to be near impossible. It used to be very easy to find and book flights- now I even looking out months, I never find anything. The 25% bonus is nice, but if I cant find anything to use my points for, at a decent redemption, then whats the point?
If this is really true, can someone convince me otherwise why I should switch to avios? Without AA avios will be worthless.
Jan 11, 2007
982 posts
67 upvotes
Edmonton
atomiton wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 5:27 pm
Those are both GREAT uses of Avios.

YVR-LAX = 15k points.
YVR-NRT = 50k points

However, finding availability on JL can be a challenge. They usually only open up max 4 seats per flight. Within Japan, each segment is only 4,500 and in many cases have NO fuel surcharges.
+1

YVR-NRT = 50K points + $172 in fee is awesome use of Avios points.

JL availability is indeed a challenge; however, I noticed almost every second day, if not everyday, they have open up new seats.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1446 posts
118 upvotes
Hamilton
zyphere wrote:
Sep 11th, 2017 8:53 am
At 15K it should likely just get you short haul flights. Not much different from what 15K aeroplan would get you. They will work for AA flights assuming there's availability.

Avios is a distance based system meaning that flying to one city could be more expensive than the other even though they are both in the same region. As an example, it took me 105K for a one way biz class ticket on Avios from YYZ to HKG on Cathay.

It seems to me that they are better value for short haul flights. I was able to get flights for 10K to 15K within Asia.
Wow.. seems like its better deal with Alaska Airline where its 100k Biz class from YYZ to HKG/BKK. Plus Alaska now has partnership with Singapore Airlines.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2006
1824 posts
44 upvotes
YVR
Just wanted to report back on a test transfer. On the Amex transfer site, even up to the confirmation it will show a 1:1 transfer ratio. Yes, there is an ad on the product details page that describes the promotion but the actual transfer does not account for the bonus.

They email confirmation both the received and completed shows a 1:1 transfer ratio as well.

The points showed in my avios account with the 25percrnt bonus so it is active and well.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
39192 posts
1357 upvotes
Richmond Hill
TeriyakiJack wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 2:24 pm
Just wanted to report back on a test transfer. On the Amex transfer site, even up to the confirmation it will show a 1:1 transfer ratio. Yes, there is an ad on the product details page that describes the promotion but the actual transfer does not account for the bonus.

They email confirmation both the received and completed shows a 1:1 transfer ratio as well.

The points showed in my avios account with the 25percrnt bonus so it is active and well.
Thanks for the confirmation - I expected more than that from AMEX but at least the promotion works.
**BRAND NEW** APC Back-UPS 650VA 7 Outlet $65
**Reg $90+tax**

Silver Coins | APC Back-UPS 650VA | Bosch Orbital Sander
Heatware | RFD Feedback
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2004
4158 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
tester85 wrote:
Sep 15th, 2017 9:06 am
Wow.. seems like its better deal with Alaska Airline where its 100k Biz class from YYZ to HKG/BKK. Plus Alaska now has partnership with Singapore Airlines.
This is one way or return? What are the best business/lowest surcharge using avios from yyz to pek?
Oct 24, 2008
657 posts
189 upvotes
So I've used Avios in the past for trips like YYZ to LGA, but when I looked around a month ago I noticed that BA didn't seem to have any availability anymore. Am I searching wrong? Or is there another site I should be searching? BA availability seems pretty low
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2014
1446 posts
118 upvotes
Hamilton
greg123 wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:36 am
This is one way or return? What are the best business/lowest surcharge using avios from yyz to pek?
its Return trip
Jan 31, 2016
804 posts
545 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just want to confirm that I received the 25% bonus points as well. All is good here.
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2007
3671 posts
799 upvotes
bpcrally wrote:
Sep 19th, 2017 7:52 am
So I've used Avios in the past for trips like YYZ to LGA, but when I looked around a month ago I noticed that BA didn't seem to have any availability anymore. Am I searching wrong? Or is there another site I should be searching? BA availability seems pretty low
I have booked avios reward flights 3-4 times but never on BA website. I used American Airlines website. Google how to book with avios or something like that and you will get the details.

BA website doesn't show too many reward flights. After you find your reward flights on AA or Alaskan Air, call BA and they will book the flights for you and waive the booking fee, after you tell them they weren't available on BA website.
Sep 8, 2006
618 posts
99 upvotes
Richmond
Speedy1 wrote:
Sep 27th, 2017 7:02 pm
I have booked avios reward flights 3-4 times but never on BA website. I used American Airlines website. Google how to book with avios or something like that and you will get the details.

BA website doesn't show too many reward flights. After you find your reward flights on AA or Alaskan Air, call BA and they will book the flights for you and waive the booking fee, after you tell them they weren't available on BA website.
same, i've booked a half dozen flights and transferred only when using the various bonus transfer promos. I've flown cathay to sri lanka, american to barbados and jal to japan three times not to mention a few trips to/from the states. like any rewards program, you have to be persistent (check every day for a couple weeks usually yields results) and often somewhat flexible in your travel arrangements (be open to open jaw, or piecing together your own trip with extended layovers that aren't offered by avios [over 24 hrs] or take the risk of booking a 1 way that's available with the hope of booking/buying another one way on points in the future or with a different program. However, there are flights out there. The alaska flights are a gem - and for anyone who's driveable from seatac (ie anyone in GVR), the alaska flights give you huge access to north america with direct flights to keep the mileage down. They also don't have a fuel surcharge which is huge.

another advantage of avios which is unique is if you cancel, you pay $70 OR the cost of the tickets taxes, whichever is less. For domestic USA flights, (again, big advantage living near a border city) the taxes are very low (ie $14 CAD rountrip for the last flight I purchased) -- so if you change your mind or plans change, you're only out $14.

i should also mention that I've been able to fly 2-3 times a year during school holidays on points and most of them have been with avios involved for at least one way. if you have the ability to travel outside of peak travel times, like all programs, the availability and quality of flights available increases dramatically