[American Express] Amex Platinum - 60,000pts+free one additional platinum

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 10:50 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1850 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is great if you're on the fence and know you need a supplementary card.

First year is worth it because of all the free signup points, it's the 2nd year that the $499 net annual fee is harder to justify if you don't travel a lot.
Last edited by Ecsta on Oct 1st, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 29, 2012
874 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Dumb question, but do purchases on the supplementary card count towards the $3000 minimum spend?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20701 posts
3034 upvotes
YUL
yesnomaybe wrote: Dumb question, but do purchases on the supplementary card count towards the $3000 minimum spend?
Of course
Dec 11, 2018
33 posts
17 upvotes
Thanks OP! No annual fee for one Supplementary Platinum Card for one year? Still need to pay $175 if I keep the supplementary card for the next year?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
638 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
grindcoffee wrote: Thanks OP! No annual fee for one Supplementary Platinum Card for one year? Still need to pay $175 if I keep the supplementary card for the next year?
The term says it's free every year.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
1487 posts
2877 upvotes
crayzie wrote: They've changed it so that you only receive one $200 credit per membership year. Ie. You would need to pay the AF next year to receive another credit.
yugsekwaf wrote:
It's not anymore. Annual = membership date, NOT as per calendar year
Wow, sad life. I cancelled my card in May 2018. I've been keeping an eye on the best time for my wife to jump on the AMEX train since changes to business plat, so I figured I was still in the loop, I didn't even hear about this. Kinda sucks.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
3353 posts
1433 upvotes
GTA
Beauty. I almost signed up for this at the $5k min spend. Now I can do the $3k min easily. (I don't have a P2 for referral)
Nov 22, 2016
34 posts
25 upvotes
Thanks OP! Been on the fence about this card for a while now. Too bad their online application is currently unavailable. Will have to check back later.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1850 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
taya1214 wrote: The term says it's free every year.
One Free Additional Card: Account must be in good standing. An additional card is a supplementary card. There is no annual fee for one Supplementary Platinum Card. Additional Platinum Supplementary Cards have an annual fee of $175 each and Gold Supplementary Cards have an annual fee of $50 each. Supplementary Card applicant must be at least 13 years old. Maximum of 9 Supplementary Cards per account.
That's honestly crazy if it's ongoing.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1926 posts
818 upvotes
HK
Does anyone know if Amex still restrict the welcome bonus points per lifetime? (e.g. credit card churners).

I had this card and highly recommend it, it's a good deal.
Aug 15, 2013
192 posts
103 upvotes
Westmount
Poutinesauce wrote: People are paying a $700 fee on a credit card that barely offers any more tangible benefits above other Amex cards just to show it off and to tell themselves that they've made it in society. I prefer to keep my money.
Lol ok
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2012
1110 posts
613 upvotes
Near You
Poutinesauce wrote: People are paying a $700 fee on a credit card that barely offers any more tangible benefits above other Amex cards just to show it off and to tell themselves that they've made it in society. I prefer to keep my money.
If you can't spare the AF for a card like this, you are most likely out of their target market.
American Express Platinum + SCP ⬢ CIBC Aventura VIP ⬢ STACK ⬢ US Cards (Soon)™
TDCT All-inclusive ⬢ HSBC Premier ⬢ Tangerine ⬢ Motive
Fido 15GB/50$ ⬢ Google Fi ⬢ Novus 1GIG/60$
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2759 posts
1114 upvotes
YUL/YVR
Ecsta wrote: That's honestly crazy if it's ongoing.
If it's on-going, I would actually renew each year. ~$500 for two Plat cards is worth it imo
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2759 posts
1114 upvotes
YUL/YVR
As mentioned in the other thread, looking at this page's T&C

https://www.travelzoo.com/ca/blog/plati ... onditions/
To qualify for the 60,000 bonus Membership Rewards points, you must have at least $1,000 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. Please allow up to ten weeks for the welcome bonus to be awarded.
I'm well expected to spend $3000 (or even the original $5k), but someone sure goofed at $1k...