[American Express] Amex Platinum - 60,000pts+free one additional platinum

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 11th, 2020 10:50 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18114 posts
2617 upvotes
Langley
Mmm, can someone post if they manage to stack this offer on a referral?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1850 posts
1735 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Poutinesauce wrote: People are paying a $700 fee on a credit card that barely offers any more tangible benefits above other Amex cards just to show it off and to tell themselves that they've made it in society. I prefer to keep my money.
It always depends but saying that statement shows you've done little to no research. For the first year at least it's a no brainer, after that it depends on your spending and travel habits.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2755 posts
1114 upvotes
YUL/YVR
1. This offer is only available to new Platinum Card Cardmembers. Some offers are only available for a limited time. Refer to offer communication for offer deadline, if applicable. Offer only valid for applications received online through the link provided in select communications from American Express, with the use of a specific promotion code. American Express reserves the right to accept applications after the applicable deadline date, but you will not be eligible for this offer.
Does anyone know when's the deadline? Doesn't seem to mention on its T&C.
Would like to delay it for another 2 months as I'm not travelling anytime soon, and get the max 12 months out of Priority Pass
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
16748 posts
3887 upvotes
Toronto
Restrictions on travel credit?
RedFlagDeals addict
Dec 29, 2012
868 posts
451 upvotes
Toronto
AdamKing wrote: Mention $1000 spend again on Amex' page
So anyone gonna try spending just $1000?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2012
6063 posts
4324 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: It always depends but saying that statement shows you've done little to no research. For the first year at least it's a no brainer, after that it depends on your spending and travel habits.
I spent years looking at the various Amex cards and credit cards and I am one of the regular posters of the credit card forum, have been for years. I am still puzzled to see many people applying for a $700 a year card. I can afford it, I just don't see the benefit. The rewards in and of themselves are not interesting, other Amex cards like the Cobalt offer almost the same thing for 6 times less in fees.

I guess you have a separate line in the Lester B Pearson airport that can afford you to wait a whopping 20 minutes less in line (if you live in Toronto that is) and you can use lounges, but I wonder how many people need 15 lounges a year or if it's even worth anything real paying for lounges. The few times I used them it's been nothing special for me, I just prefer to wait in the regular area close the boarding gate and the restaurants, honestly.

Amex before it went mainstream used to be about conspicuous consumption. I am persuaded that this is the reason why most Amex Platinum owners use this card. It's purely a status symbol at the end of the day. Hence why you read people saying they want it because it's made out of metal.
Aug 5, 2005
240 posts
98 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: I spent years looking at the various Amex cards and credit cards and I am one of the regular posters of the credit card forum, have been for years. I am still puzzled to see many people applying for a $700 a year card. I can afford it, I just don't see the benefit. The rewards in and of themselves are not interesting, other Amex cards like the Cobalt offer almost the same thing for 6 times less in fees.

I guess you have a separate line in the Lester B Pearson airport that can afford you to wait a whopping 20 minutes less in line (if you live in Toronto that is) and you can use lounges, but I wonder how many people need 15 lounges a year or if it's even worth anything real paying for lounges. The few times I used them it's been nothing special for me, I just prefer to wait in the regular area close the boarding gate and the restaurants, honestly.

Amex before it went mainstream used to be about conspicuous consumption. I am persuaded that this is the reason why most Amex Platinum owners use this card. It's purely a status symbol at the end of the day. Hence why you read people saying they want it because it's made out of metal.

You need to look at Amex airline transfer partners. Aeroplan in particular offers tremendous value especially if you use your points for business class tickets with multiple stops.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20698 posts
3030 upvotes
YUL
Poutinesauce wrote: I spent years looking at the various Amex cards and credit cards and I am one of the regular posters of the credit card forum, have been for years. I am still puzzled to see many people applying for a $700 a year card. I can afford it, I just don't see the benefit. The rewards in and of themselves are not interesting, other Amex cards like the Cobalt offer almost the same thing for 6 times less in fees.

Status symbol? Hardly. There's not even an income requirement anymore. All you need is good credit and willing to pay the annual fee. Plus, if you're the type that wants to show off, it's probably not for you since you don't give your card anymore when paying for something, like you used to years ago. The merchant never touches cards anymore. You insert it or tap it.

You may not see value in it for YOUR lifestyle, but others do. Clearly you've never experienced a Centurion Lounge. It's on another level than a standard Priority Pass lounge. The memberships and added perks of upgraded status in Hertz, Avis, Hilton are very much worth it for frequent travellers. It's a card for travellers and people looking for experiences.

I had a great experience with the concierge service earlier this year. I wanted tickets for Formula1 in Montreal in a specific grandstand, which was sold out through the official website/promoter. I called Amex Concierge and they found me tickets at pretty much the same price, in the exact section I wanted through a UK promoter.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2013
2755 posts
1114 upvotes
YUL/YVR
If you don't see the benefits of this card, then maybe this card (and thread) is simply not for you.
No one said this card is for EVERYone. Those that travel and see the value in it, will appreciate it, especially at the current promo offer.
Nov 26, 2014
144 posts
197 upvotes
Calgary, AB

The annual fee is only $500 if you utilize the travel credit, and the 60,000 pts you get is worth $600 at a minumum. So basically, if you don't have any other better way to use the $3k minimum spend you are being paid $100 by Amex to use this card in the first year. This is an even better deal if you can get the points for only $1k minimum spend like the Amex website is currently displaying.

Now if you factor in the Priority pass membership for two people with the free supplementary card, as well as the gold elite status at several hotel chains, and the possibility of 60,000 pts being worth ALOT more than $600 then it's easy to see why this card is worth it to many people who aren't as close-minded as yourself.

And yeah, having a metal card is pretty dope too.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1161 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto, ON

If you travel a lot it is still one of the best travel cards out there especially with the 3/2/1x multiplier, good insurance and lounge perks.

I cancelled my plat 2.5 years ago and have been using a combination of gold, colbalt, SPG, scotia to squeeze out a bit extra return on points. However, for that few hundred $, I can simplify my life materially just to have 1 main card day to day.

I do value the lounge and hotel benefits of plat. Even though I have star gold, I prefer centurion or PP lounges more often than star lounges.

If you don’t travel much tho, there are definitely much better options out there.

I just re-applied. Damn, it is under review and this time it is not some minor address verification can be resolved through a call immediately. I wonder if they are clamping down on former plat card holders. I already have gold and 2 SPG Amex (cancelled colbalt recently). 800+ credit score and good income so unlikely credit related.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
1350 posts
859 upvotes
Edmonton
McKinsey wrote: Does anyone know if Amex still restrict the welcome bonus points per lifetime? (e.g. credit card churners).

I had this card and highly recommend it, it's a good deal.
It does say in the T&C new card holders only, but I wonder how well it is enforced?
[OP]
Oct 24, 2009
638 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
ExcelPremium wrote: Can anyone confirm?
This is from fineprint. I interpreted this as ongoing. It does not mention its one-time. It is not black and white clear though..
One Free Additional Card: Account must be in good standing. An additional card is a supplementary card. There is no annual fee for one Supplementary Platinum Card. Additional Platinum Supplementary Cards have an annual fee of $175 each and Gold Supplementary Cards have an annual fee of $50 each. Supplementary Card applicant must be at least 13 years old. Maximum of 9 Supplementary Cards per account.